Gardening

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Nevoil
udonmap.com

Gardening

Post by Nevoil » February 18, 2017, 5:17 pm

Hi,

Just a question, does anyone do any gardening, grow your own carrots, potatoes etc. if so, is there a garden centre / shop for seeds etc

TIA

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: Gardening

Post by vincemunday » February 18, 2017, 5:20 pm

Most of the big DIY stores do seeds as do the hardware shops. We brought some over from the UK with various success, some worked and some didn't.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » February 18, 2017, 5:38 pm

Try the fertilizer shop across the Tessabahn market on Makkeng rd. You might want to look at small hardware shops, used to be one or two in the Nong Bua market area. Of course they carry mostly Thai varieties. Right now until tomorrow Feb 19, there is a vegetable exhibition and sale at Central Plaza, first floor, run by the Royal Project shop. Today i bought some great looking huge tomatoes, i plan to use some of the seeds.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » February 18, 2017, 5:55 pm

Lotus has seeds as do most supermarkets.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 19, 2017, 1:29 am

the-monk wrote:Try the fertilizer shop across the Tessabahn market on Makkeng rd. You might want to look at small hardware shops, used to be one or two in the Nong Bua market area. Of course they carry mostly Thai varieties. Right now until tomorrow Feb 19, there is a vegetable exhibition and sale at Central Plaza, first floor, run by the Royal Project shop. Today i bought some great looking huge tomatoes, i plan to use some of the seeds.

could be a problem with that monk ..... if they are F1, the seeds will not produce the same size/type of toms :(

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 19, 2017, 2:00 am

with hot season on the way you might be a bit late, tomatoes tend to do well but over 30c they will just drop flowers. funny but the best tomato plant I ever saw in Thailand was growing in that nasty klong at the side of central, beaut of a plant growing wild
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » February 19, 2017, 8:06 am

God morning UM readers,hope you all enyoing the nice morning weather.

If you just want ONE thing to add to you pottingsoil/topsoil...i vote for this:Vorm Casting and Bat Guano,which can be bought at Lotous Tesco..cheap to..read this to educate yourself about the benefits of worm casting.

http://www.tastefulgarden.com/Worm-Castings-d114.htm

Thanks for reading,have a good day.. :D

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » February 19, 2017, 9:00 am

For your information: The royal project exhibition to your left when entering Central Plaza from the main entrance has the following: wood vinegar 1 litre 60 B, Fish amino food 1 litre 120 B, organic liquid fertilizer 1 litre 60 B, liquid vermicompost 1 litre 60 B.
Please note (1) that the Royal project shop downstairs carries ONLY the vermicompost and (2) the exhibition ends today Sunday Feb 19.
Enjoy your day...

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 20, 2017, 10:09 pm

Right, seeds.

Tesco and Big C rubbish. Poor selection and expensive. Try Dohome, Homehub or other big DIY store. In my experience Dohome has the best selection, Seeds from 9 baht. In town there are some seed shops but hard to find, I use one near Makro, about 5-10 shops in towards town centre on same side as Makro. I do also bring some (like carrots) from UK.

Growing. Main season is the cold season, from October to March. After that only thing i have grown is sweetcorn. Success rates can be very variable, Pests, diseases or just the HEAT can wipe out all or most of your crop. And some veggies just do not thrive, like runner beans, broad beans, to hot and no flowers set. Spinach will grow a bit but dies very quickly in the heat. Depends a lot on your soil too.

Big Disease/pest problems - cucumbers, courgettes - plants get sick quickly, may need a lot of chemicals, which i do not use.
Partial successes - peas, potatoes, spinach - get some to eat but very little. Bell peppers - get peppers but very small, probably to hot for them to thrive. Beetroot have grown once, but dies off in March, too hot. Spring onions.

Carrots, cabbage, dwarf beans, thai long beans, lettuce, aubergines, Tomatoes, corn, shallots all do well, but tomatoes do have pest and disease problems so loose a lot of fruit and plants die in late March, but always get some crop.

Cherry, plum and other small tomatoes do much better than the larger beefsteak types.

I don't claim to be a good gardener or an expert, just keep trying! Your experiences may be different to mine.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 21, 2017, 1:53 pm

Bringing lavender seeds with me next week.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 21, 2017, 2:03 pm

Tried them about 10 years back wazza got zero germination on first attempt and only about 10% second time. Cant give any info as I went on hols and suspect the designated waterer didn't bother to water until just before my return.

Did get a good show of Salvias and pelargoniums as well as pansys in large tubs. Took seed from all but none germinated the following year.
DSCF0008a.jpg
Last edited by stattointhailand on February 21, 2017, 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 21, 2017, 2:08 pm

Have a chance to geab a few rhubarb roots also. Suspect its too late for them....

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 21, 2017, 2:27 pm

Have a chance to grab a few rhubarb roots also. Suspect its too late for them....

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 21, 2017, 2:53 pm

Rhubarb needs a cold period in winter, i suspect will not grow here. As for seeds not germinating, especially home made seed, keep it in the fridge. I save bean seeds from one year to the next, but have found next year germination is zero or very low. Cooler years get better germination. Tomato seeds will survive just about anything.

Today, harvested carrots and new potatoes - enough for dinner tonight. Potato yield was only 6 ounces from one plant - not a commercial proposition, but where can you buy new potatoes? just planted an old sprouted spud about 2 months ago. If planted earlier i would have got more. Now too hot.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » February 21, 2017, 3:07 pm

At the Thung Sri Muang fair, there are few stands selling seend. One is located just across the Ud tennis court.. And one more on the other side of the fair ground on Phran Phrao Rd.. You might be able to pick some bare roots, fruit trees, bulbs, fertilizers.
Happy gardening.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 21, 2017, 3:23 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Tried them about 10 years back wazza got zero germination on first attempt and only about 10% second time. Cant give any info as I went on hols and suspect the designated waterer didn't bother to water until just before my return.

Did get a good show of Salvias and pelargoniums as well as pansys in large tubs. Took seed from all but none germinated the following year.

DSCF0008a.jpg
did you find botrytis set in on the pelargoniums as soon as the wet season started, mine came along fine until then, I even tried to save a couple by moving them inside. but it got them anyway, fuchsias went the same way too. the only seeds I took to Thailand that thrived was ipomoea, and boy did they take well.
Imagephoto sharing websites
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Sport
udonmap.com

Re: HERBS Gardening

Post by Sport » February 22, 2017, 8:58 am

Do any members know of an outlet where you can buy fresh plants that can be re-potted into larger pots, Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley, Taragon and Mint. I have bought small punnets of a couple of them, but they do not have the root system and have tried different ways to grow them but no luck. Thanks Rob.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 22, 2017, 9:09 am

Mint . Yes. Can buy it inc Vietnamese mint at the wholesale nursrey near Tesco Lotus on the ring road. They also sell the small germination trays as well from memory

I have some well established mints Sport.

Back in Udon on Saturday . Will buzz you and you can grab some.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 22, 2017, 9:31 am

"I have some well established mints".

When they fruit wazza can ya pick me a couple of extra strong ones to try please :lol:

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » February 22, 2017, 10:15 am

My Thai friend, when they eat Vietnamese food, she keeps few mint cuttings and just stick them in the pot in front of the house and they grow back.. Same with celery, green onions and others that you buy at the local markets quite often they still have roots and will provide you with fresh vegetables.
Happy gardening.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”