Fan Repair

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
rick
udonmap.com

Fan Repair

Post by rick » August 13, 2017, 6:53 pm

I currently have 2 non-functioning fans, both about 2 years old, of a previously reliable make. My Thai families attitude to Fan repair is to leave it collecting dust for 2 years and then throw it away if it still doesn't work!

Well, I do not want them collecting dust waiting for a miracle to happen.I know they do not cost much, but it goes against the grain to just throw something away just because you do not know what is wrong with it.

Can anyone recommend anywhere that can do cheap repairs? Or at least explain the cause of failure.

Also can anyone suggest what maintenance to do? I was looking for somewhere to put a bit oil in, but cannot see an obvious position. Fans cost about 950 baht and 400 baht, so repairs would have to be less than half that to be worthwhile.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Re: Fan Repair

Post by Liam Dale » August 13, 2017, 7:09 pm

If I can't sort quickly.. cleaning and oiling.. I trot them over to Amorn electric.. ground floor Big C..they never fail. Not expensive.. they also sort my Sennheiser Headset 3.5mm jacks when I yank them too hard..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » August 13, 2017, 7:23 pm

I'd guess most villages have at least one shop like the one in our village at kilo 18. The man repairs most anything with a motor.....mostly pumps and fans and such. His prices are generally much less than buying new....and he'll tell me if it's not worth repairing.
Our's is located just past the kilo 18 intersection, on the right hand side as you're heading to Nongwahsaw. The shop has no name.....nothing fancy.....but he does good work.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2017, 10:00 pm

If the fans are Hatari brand, there's a half-decent selection of spare parts at Amorn @ Big C. Most switches, capacitors and plastic motor housings and the like near the service desk. There's possibly replacement motors as well on the back shelves. Sounds like the motors or bearings may be shot. The motors can be rewound but may not last as long as original and the bearings are sealed, self-lubricating types that generally are un-serviceable.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » August 14, 2017, 6:02 am

I've done a few over the years at my wife's place. If you remove the front fan guard, the fan blade should spin freely by hand. If not, then the oilite bearings are gummed up. Remove the blade( left hand thread) then the fan drive spigot, then the centre plastic nut holding the rear of the fan guard. Remove the screw holding the oscillator jerk and then the casing rear is able to be removed( another screw at the back end) Drop off the oscillator arm and the front plastic cover. Three or four screws on the front alloy motor casing allows the motor to be disassembled revealing dry grease/ oil residue on the rotor shaft. Clean this off with kero or CRC and give the oilite bearing felt pads a good dose of light oil ( machine oil) you'll find some at any market. Take care with the stator wiring not to damage same. Reassemble and test. Viola.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 14, 2017, 8:40 am

Bluejets has got the answer. I don't go as far as he does. I take off the housings, lay the fan on its back and squirt lighter fluid around the motor shaft. That removes the gummed up oil. Then I squirt sewing machine oil around the shaft and let it sit for a while. The back bearing is a little more difficult. You will have to remove the part that oscillates the fan to get at the bearing. Use the same technique to clean and oil the back bearing.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 16, 2017, 1:07 pm

Thanks Bluejets. Got as far as the oscillator jerk, no screw ...... But at least i have some idea. Can always try Amorn.

Brand name is Victor. Only ever had one Victor fail before, and that was over 8 years old. Other brands i have tried, including Hatari, last on average 2 years.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 16, 2017, 1:09 pm

Oh, whats CRC? Is it like WD40?

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » August 16, 2017, 2:13 pm

CRC
Attachments
CRC.jpg

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 16, 2017, 2:15 pm

rick wrote:
August 16, 2017, 1:09 pm
Oh, whats CRC? Is it like WD40?

Yes

Same same but different :D

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 16, 2017, 3:22 pm

Thanks. Got the oscillator jerk done - just had to pull very hard. WD40 and oil next, got the plastic housing off,the main motor frame screws are also very tight so maybe not complete disassembly.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 27, 2017, 8:13 pm

Got myself some wd40 clone, a decent screwdriver and finished getting the casing off the 2 fans. One would just twitch if you turned the power on and the other absolute zero. Gave a good squirt front and back on each and the spindle could be turned easily by hand in seconds. 10 seconds later plugged in, and after a shaky start, off they went. 1800 baht saved on new fans!

Thanks very much for the advice, I expect i would have worked it out, but it is nice to have confidence that you are doing the right thing. I must admit i was stunned that a couple of squirts of wd40 could make such a difference!

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”