Vespa (modern) mechanic in Udon?

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Vespa (modern) mechanic in Udon?

Post by Stanley Road » August 21, 2018, 9:23 am

I have a question, but first can I have a rant - I need to get this off my chest.

I had one of those frustrating experiences at the Vespa shop in town that happens sometimes. My Vespa LXi150 wont start when its cold. Its 8 years old now and probably needs something replacing. I also have a classic scooter and so I got my regular scooter mechanic to take a look at it, but after assuring me he fixed the issue after a whole days work, it transpires all he did was change the fecking oil.

I also needed a service and a couple of other bits so I took it to the Vespa shop in UD town. As soon as I walked in had a feeling I was in for a rough time - you know that thing Thais sometimes do when they look at you in sheer terror and bewilderment in response to your polite "Sawadee Khrup'. They did that, all three of them. They speak zero English and my Thai is limited, and we had a lot to get through - so much that the usual making shapes with your hands while providing sound affects would not be enough in this instance. I managed to explain 'wont start' in Thai but they just stood there staring at me open mouthed, like I just asked the square root of nine point seven. No attempt in any way was made to try and understand what I was saying. Mostly when this happens you can sense the cogs turning in there mind while they ponder 'maybe he is pronouncing the tone wrong and he realy means this' but I could see no evidence of any cogs turning in there glazed eyes, here at this shop. Another tactic that usually works is google translate so I typed into my handset 'when cold, can not start' and tried to show them the translation but for some bizarre reason they would make funny noises and back off away from me whenever I showed them the screen, while doing that wavy hand thing. Mental.

All I got was lots of hand waving in my face while they said 'Mai Dai' to whatever I asked. They were saying it with such intensity you would think I was asking if I could knock one out and jizz in there collective mouths. Maybe I was. Anyway I knew I was getting nowhere, especially given that I wanted to buy a Mallosi 190 Cylinder upgrade kit so I asked in Thai, if they could find someone who speaks English. More hand waving, more Mai Dais. Does the boss speak English, I asked. Yes, they replied, but he isn't there today. He is at the other shop. Where is the other shop? Mai Dai. Can you call him? Mai Dai. Can I call him? Mai Dai. When is he back here? Mai Lou. What about Facebook, can I have his Facebook? Mai Dai Mai Mee. Just to explain further how clueless they are, I pointed at my bent break lever and asked in perfect Thai if they sold replacements. No, she said. have to order myself. later I spotted in the display cabinet a whole box of them and when I pointed to the box and asked why she said I had to order, she just laughed and said something to her friend about Ferangs.

What the feck man? Its not me I promise you that. When this kind of thing happens I always stay calm, polite, smile, dont raise my voice or hit them with too many words. This is there country after all and it should be me who speaks there language fluently, not the other way around. But why must they sometimes be such hard work to deal with?

Anyway I took it to another shop in town, next to landmark. A guy who apparently is quite handy with all forms of two wheels and works on sports bikes. The shop is called Udon Big Bike and looks clean, well organized, sell all the various accessories and had a couple of expensive bikes in there on ramps. Nice enough guy, speaks great English. He guaranteed he would get to the root cause of the issue and 4 days later he called to explain he replaced the dynamo and it would cost 4000 plus service. I collected it, gave him 5000, and now this morning, cold, it wont start. The battery is now dead from turning it over all morning.

Again, sorry for the rant - I only have one simple question but just wanted to get that off my chest. So can anyone recommend a good mechanic in Udon who might know a thing or two about modern Vespas? I have been through two mechanics just for this one trivial issue and have no idea where to turn now.

Any advice appreciated, thanks for letting me rant.

Stanley Road

samuel
udonmap.com

Re: Vespa (modern) mechanic in Udon?

Post by samuel » August 21, 2018, 9:36 am

not "modern" but this guy may help you sort it out.
bring your bike and a translator and check it out.
the guy is very nice and very skilled with all types of bikes, but no english.
easy to find from Bangkok Hospital.
21-08-_2018_04-29-27.jpg
Google Chrome:
https://earth.google.com/web/@17.411200 ... dU1XZHcQAg

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 21, 2018, 12:37 pm

its Italian , got electronic fuel injection , some cold start compensating sensor gone awry
เมื่อเครื่องหนาวติดยาก (when machine cold start difficult , best guess) replace dynamo? mebbe because battery was run down? uuhh did you get old parts?

mech_401
udonmap.com

Post by mech_401 » August 21, 2018, 12:44 pm

sadly i can't follow the faulty dynamo logic. you might be stuck finding another vespa dealer. gonna have to go to them for parts anyway. only people with manual also you might as well have pulled a maserati into the PTT station. after sales service lacking.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 21, 2018, 1:14 pm

After trying many places from main dealers to back street to custom shops the one I had success with is a few doors away from Xigar cafe. Near to a PEA office. It is the road that runs parrarel to Soi Sri Suk (other direction to Phosri).

Outside the shop they have a modified fino with matching sidecar and a red modified Honda MX. The women who owns it speaks good English and they supply genuine good quality parts direct from Bangkok.

No idea if they can do Vespas but at least she will be able to understand your problem and answer if she can or not.

Good luck.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » August 21, 2018, 3:58 pm

Too late now but never use the Vespa dealer in Udon - useless. If you want a Mallosi 190 Cylinder upgrade kit suggest order it yourself from SIP
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 21, 2018, 5:38 pm

you need the diagnostic software most likely as they have sensors that can become faulty ..so i suspect a main dealer is needed..modern bikes are notoriously hard to repair for old school mechanics..unless you have a stock of all the parts that could go wrong and change them one by one to isolate the fault
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Post by Stanley Road » August 21, 2018, 7:09 pm

mech_401 wrote:
August 21, 2018, 12:44 pm
sadly i can't follow the faulty dynamo logic. you might be stuck finding another vespa dealer. gonna have to go to them for parts anyway. only people with manual also you might as well have pulled a maserati into the PTT station. after sales service lacking.
I have no idea how he arrived at dynamo, just gotta trust the fella. For all I know he could have had one lying around and decided to fit it as a quick earner. Ill never realy know. Vespa Udon - I'll never go back there, it was a nightmare who crap there were. I would rather cart it off to Vespa Khon Kean than go back there.

Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Post by Stanley Road » August 21, 2018, 7:10 pm

deankham wrote:
August 21, 2018, 1:14 pm
After trying many places from main dealers to back street to custom shops the one I had success with is a few doors away from Xigar cafe. Near to a PEA office. It is the road that runs parrarel to Soi Sri Suk (other direction to Phosri).

Outside the shop they have a modified fino with matching sidecar and a red modified Honda MX. The women who owns it speaks good English and they supply genuine good quality parts direct from Bangkok.

No idea if they can do Vespas but at least she will be able to understand your problem and answer if she can or not.

Good luck.
That sounds bang on - thanks very much, I will go see if I can find them tomorrow. Appreciate it.

Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Post by Stanley Road » August 21, 2018, 7:14 pm

joepai wrote:
August 21, 2018, 3:58 pm
Too late now but never use the Vespa dealer in Udon - useless. If you want a Mallosi 190 Cylinder upgrade kit suggest order it yourself from SIP
Ill never go back there ever again, crap. Yah I would usually order from SIP or Scooter Center in Germany but I am sure, absolutely 100% sure that they had one for sale in the vespa shop 6 months ago when I had a mooch around. It was a kit, it was Mallosi, and it was 6200 Baht. Thats a fair price and I figured why take a chance with customs taxes. When I went there the other day it was gone. To be honest, I might not bother. I have these dramas going on with the cold start fault - if I am struggling to find a bloke to sort that, I have no chance of finding someone to fit a Mallosi kit.

Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Post by Stanley Road » August 21, 2018, 7:16 pm

yartims wrote:
August 21, 2018, 5:38 pm
you need the diagnostic software most likely as they have sensors that can become faulty ..so i suspect a main dealer is needed..modern bikes are notoriously hard to repair for old school mechanics..unless you have a stock of all the parts that could go wrong and change them one by one to isolate the fault
I might have to do that after all but I wont go to Vespa Udon. Ill go KK. There is one place to check out in Udon first, another poster suggested. If that falls over, Ill have to cart it off to KK!

Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Post by Stanley Road » August 21, 2018, 7:16 pm

samuel wrote:
August 21, 2018, 9:36 am
not "modern" but this guy may help you sort it out.
bring your bike and a translator and check it out.
the guy is very nice and very skilled with all types of bikes, but no english.
easy to find from Bangkok Hospital.

21-08-_2018_04-29-27.jpg

Google Chrome:
https://earth.google.com/web/@17.411200 ... dU1XZHcQAg
Thanks Samuel, noted mate.

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » August 21, 2018, 7:52 pm

Stanley Road wrote:
August 21, 2018, 7:16 pm
please keep us updated.
it's always nice to learn from other's personal experiences.
wish you good luck.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 22, 2018, 10:53 am

Stanley Road wrote:
August 21, 2018, 9:23 am
I have a question, but first can I have a rant - I need to get this off my chest....
Thanks for sharing your experience. You should send your story to there HQ here: http://vespa.co.th/after-service/
or there FB page here: https://web.facebook.com/Vespa.Udon.lhao/?_rdc=1&_rdr

You would think a shop selling a high end product would act more professional. [-X

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 22, 2018, 10:56 am

Btw, Vespa's costing much more than the average scooter, are they really worth the additional cost?

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » August 22, 2018, 11:29 am

Jello wrote:
August 22, 2018, 10:56 am
Btw, Vespa's costing much more than the average scooter, are they really worth the additional cost?
When you ride one the answer is a YES :D
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Post by Stanley Road » August 22, 2018, 7:18 pm

Jello wrote:
August 22, 2018, 10:56 am
In all honesty, and only my opinion, not realy worth the extra cost no. Compared to a jap scooter there isnt anything in it - same speed, same reliability, same ride comfort. In my opinion they look nicer, and to me at least its just nice to own that brand, the history of it and what have you. Being a Brit there is an affiliation to Vespa possibly more than other countries - even though its a modern vespa and made in Asia it is still owned by Piaggio in Italy.

A classic vespa or lambretta is a much sounder buy. They are twice the money over here for original italian Piaggio or Innocenti with book compared to UK as a few years ago a total ban was implemented on importing them so the price has doubled over the last 5 or 6 years. They only ever go up in value and you will always sell it for more than you paid for it. I used to have 4 lambrettas, one back home and three in Thailand. Just got the one now. I sold my Series 2 a few months ago for 920,000 with all the vintage mod style italian accessories i sourced from all corners of the world. It owed me about 600,000 and i only owned it for 3 years. That went to a private musuem in Bangkok, sits proudly in between an e-type jaguar and an old ferrari. Its never even been started since the new owner brought it.

You can even buy a SIL (Indian made) classic lambretta for as much as 150k these days. They were 30k just 5 years ago. So theres a handy little tip for you - classic italian scooter, you will get the buzz of riding it for a few years and make a very tidy drink when you sell it.

Just gotta put up with the feckin things not working half the time lol. Loads of hassles. Loads! Worth it though.

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » August 23, 2018, 4:33 pm

the rectifiers used to blow all the time when i had some old vespas .. nowadays theyre more reliable as not so crude..
in BKK china town theres some very ancient vespas still running around ..very beaten up by now..but they keep em running somehow
the only good Tory is a lavatory

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » September 9, 2018, 10:12 pm

samuel wrote:
August 21, 2018, 7:52 pm
Stanley Road wrote:
please keep us updated.
wish you good luck.
@Stanley Road
any updates?

Stanley Road
udonmap.com

Post by Stanley Road » September 23, 2018, 5:26 pm

samuel wrote:
September 9, 2018, 10:12 pm
samuel wrote:
August 21, 2018, 7:52 pm
Stanley Road wrote:
please keep us updated.
wish you good luck.
@Stanley Road
any updates?
Hi Samuel, not yet no. I have been having dramas with my other bike and giving that my attention at the minute. A mate of mine gave me contact details for a Thai fella who is handy with modern vespas, Ill get the wife to call him in the next day or two. Ill let you know how it goes :)

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”