wood smoke oven

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
kopkei
udonmap.com

wood smoke oven

Post by kopkei » August 7, 2019, 9:07 am

i am planning to build my own smoke oven , where to find the wood chips /dust to use for this , i know can order lazada /aliexpress but was looking for a udon solution ? , also my wife already cut branches of fruit trees but how to mill them? thanks for any answer .. ;)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: wood smoke oven

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 7, 2019, 9:08 am

kopkei wrote:
August 7, 2019, 9:07 am
i am planning to build my own smoke oven , where to find the wood chips /dust to use for this , i know can order lazada /aliexpress but was looking for a udon solution ? , also my wife already cut branches of fruit trees but how to mill them? thanks for any answer .. ;)
Contact Doc at Quik Fire BBQs he can advise .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 14, 2019, 5:55 pm

thanks jon for the info , i did find an economic solution to the problem as prices of this are also ridiculous high...
DSC00981 (Copy).JPG
big box jack fruit , and bag mango ...not sure usable though , split opinions about this (mango)
only need some sun to dry them and i can start smoke test ....
some tips on smoking are welcome ...,thanks.. ;)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 15, 2019, 2:26 pm

Look here for smoking with Mango
Looks like NO

https://www.reddit.com/r/smoking/commen ... ango_wood/

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

thanks doodoo, i have also looked on the net , and it seems to be divided , some say no, others say alloy..
all depending maybe of your allergies ? ....the wood was out drying in the sun today and smelled very good though...
if i survive will update ... :D

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » August 15, 2019, 5:45 pm

waiting for your reply HOPEFULLY
Good Luck

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » August 16, 2019, 3:52 pm

I have tested cold smoking using several different methods.

To be cold smoking for salmon, temperature for SALMON must be under 24 degrees celsius all time. That is the most important rule. There are some others, but those does not effect to salmon so much.

Pic1 is a system, where fan is on top of ICE box. Cool air (4 celsius) goes to smoke generating unit and then 12 celsius air goes to cooling box, where salmon is -and of course much more ice to keep it cool. Not the best, because salmon is not drying when pushing humid air to system. Can be used, if outside temperature is less than 27 degrees.

Pic2 does not have cold air pushed to smoke generator. Better, but not the best. Because no cool air generated, can be used only under 18 degrees (wintertime and evenings). Not so wet, but not dry salmon after smoking.

Pic3 is fridge and gives a possibility to have temperature between 2-12 degrees. Hotter when wood dust is burning. Must remember that generating smoke increase temperature about 5-8 degrees -at least. So without cooling, please do not start above 15 degrees. I believe other fish is cod and also salami here. Now I can smoke year around, without fridge only 3-4 months with good results.

Pic4 is hot smoking and yes, it is just only a normal BBQ grill with lid closed. Of course 6-8 pieces of smoke generating tree (12 cm long, 1-1.5 cm dia, well watered before smoking, because dry wood burns and not generate smoke).

Some pics I did not find (those good ones).

For cold smoking I have used sieve/strainer and that means filling dust every hour-hour and half. Nights just only fridge and drying there. Two nights is enough for salmon. 4-6 hours.

Wood has been a topic. I have used also eucalyptus and yes, if you read, it is not good. If you read more, it is one of the best. I like women with dark hair, some like blondies. Same thing with wood. Before you say anything, if you use charcoal in your grill and buy it from locals, it is 95% sure eucalyptus and during grilling, it gives also smoke. Some are allergic, it can be saw dust and make skin red etc. Similar effect when eating smoked food. Walnut tree is similar. Gives a good smoke and kills some.

Whatever you use, peel it, because bark gives extremely bad taste. Also first few minutes smoking without anything in smoke, then let all smoke go out and put food to smoke in. Same reason as with bark. First smoke gives a bad taste.

I am also just learning to smoke. Started when I was 5 years old (so did my son). Now already 60 years and still learning. Just wanted to share some ways to smoke without very expensive systems. Fridge is the best "buy" and it can be old one going to dump.

Ps. I do smoke food sometimes with bark on. I believe that "bad taste" is like "plaa raa" for westerners. Some like, some do not like. It is more bitter. I go not smoke some plaa nin (tilapia) and try to remember to take photos. Will be using mango sticks. Tomorrow cold smoke some cheese from Isaan Expat Food -weather is not inspiring now.
Attachments
smoke.JPG

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » August 16, 2019, 6:34 pm

Now this is 3 hours salted tilapia after 30 minutes warm smoking. Could be better, if make butterfly opening, but this was also good. 15 minutes and then turn other side. If like more dry, add 10 minutes. About half kilos fish both. Smaller would be better.

Big question is, if salt should be added before or after smoking. Also is to use solid salt or mixed with water. If mix with water, how much. Starting from 2% and ending up to 15%. It is time related of course. Put smoked fish to salt water for one minute would also make it more moist and, if like that, better.

To be honest, that colour is made by adding 2-3 tablespoon of sugar and water to can on bottom of the grill. Gives a beautiful brown colour. That can is also the place to put herbs or anything else to give some flavour to fish -like whisky.
Attachments
Tilapia.jpg

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 17, 2019, 6:30 am

thanks eagle looks nice ,i did some test with catfish smoked and was very good , but are you using charcoal? , i only used wood pellets to smoke the fish ,left it for 3hours in a salt/herb solution (1Lwater/125g salt), dry for 1 h , and smoked it about 40 min ,with use of very low gas burner , my planning to smoke salmon is dry marinate for 24h , wash of marinate ,leave dry for 24 in fridge and smoke only with smoke generator for 8-10 h , it will be first a small test run to get all mixtures/smoking times right ...
i am new at this so it will be a learning curve at beginning ....thanks for any more future info about smoking .. ;)

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”