Shorts for the larger gentleman

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Shorts for the larger gentleman

Post by vincemunday » June 7, 2020, 3:41 pm

Being bit of a bunter I've had a few problems buying shorts here, i'm not keen on the ones you buy in Nong Khai etc and 99 times out of a 100 big shorts bought online in Thailand usually quite small. Recently I took a punt and ordered 5 pairs of these in 5xl and to my surprise they are quite good quality and they fit me well, I am a 40 inch waist and according to the size chart I needed the 5xl and unusually that was also correct so my guess is it'll be safe if you use it for your size too. Hope this is useful.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.1Qv8b
Attachments
20200607_153440.jpg

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Shorts for the larger gentleman

Post by Khun Paul » June 7, 2020, 6:07 pm

For shorts even occasionally trousers, as Thai shops seem to think all Thais are up to 2XL, nut looking at many Thais that is not true. However I digress, I look at those stalls selling shorts and trousers for 100 to 200 hundred baht , in Big C and Landmark, have purchased many good shorts and a couple of pairs of trousers over the years. If need adjustment give them to my Tailor to adjust for a small fee, can end up with good shorts for 300 baht including tailor adjustment . beats anywhere else in town.
My size larger than Vince but not as large as some I might add

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 7, 2020, 6:55 pm

A lot of those stalls sell second hand clothes, albeit they’re graded, I refuse to wear clothes that have been worn by someone else, that’s why they only sell one pair of everything, not all but most.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 7, 2020, 7:47 pm

vincemunday wrote:
June 7, 2020, 6:55 pm
A lot of those stalls sell second hand clothes, albeit they’re graded, I refuse to wear clothes that have been worn by someone else, that’s why they only sell one pair of everything, not all but most.
I followed your lead Vince, hopefully the 3xl will fit me :-" bought 3 pairs to try like u I have another wardrobe in the back bedroom for all the ordered in error ones 😂

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » June 7, 2020, 7:58 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 7, 2020, 7:47 pm
vincemunday wrote:
I followed your lead Vince, hopefully the 3xl will fit me :-" bought 3 pairs to try like u I have another wardrobe in the back bedroom for all the ordered in error ones 😂
We are going to have to phone before the golf so we don't have colour clashes. But as you have ordered 3XL probably no chance. :lol: :-"

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 7, 2020, 8:44 pm

dunroaming wrote:
vincemunday wrote:
Just ordered another 2 pairs, well happy with them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 7, 2020, 9:44 pm

When the 71 Export shops started closing, easy access to real, good quality farang 2X, 3X, 4X and more disappeared. Most of the stuff was genuine Old Navy, Levi, Eddie Bauer and Wrangler stuff that had failed final QC from sweat shops in Cambodia, Bangladesh and Thailand. I think they still have an outlet in Central but for the last couple of years, there was nothing farang-sized available. Even at their Pattaya branches the (slightly) oversized stuff disappeared.

Back OT, good find vince.
Last edited by tamada on June 7, 2020, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2020, 9:56 pm

may be there is a market on Udonmap for resale of back bedroom wardrobe purchases ......... unlike most women guys dont seem to worry if the label says 5xl when they are only a 3xl (heaven help anyone suggesting Mrs Statts buys a dress with a size 14 label in it)

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 7, 2020, 10:01 pm

vincemunday wrote:
June 7, 2020, 8:44 pm
dunroaming wrote:
vincemunday wrote:
If I was a 7xl and fitted into 5 XL I would be well happy too lol would buy more just to prove a point I'm not that big 😂 BTW I bought the 5xl too. This lockdown followed by remote working has certainly expanded my waste line.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 7, 2020, 10:08 pm

dunroaming wrote:
June 7, 2020, 10:01 pm
vincemunday wrote:
June 7, 2020, 8:44 pm
dunroaming wrote:
vincemunday wrote:
If I was a 7xl and fitted into 5 XL I would be well happy too lol would buy more just to prove a point I'm not that big 😂 BTW I bought the 5xl too. This lockdown followed by remote working has certainly expanded my waste line.
Well I've got a pair of the 5xl on and they're nice and comfortable, please let me know if they don't fit so I can take the piss 555

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 8, 2020, 6:44 am

It would appear that snobbery overtakes need. As yet in 15 years I have never found any of those items I purchased having been worn before by anyone. But as a precaution I forgot to mention like new clothes that are washable I always clean clothes I buy to get rid of the NAP as it were, so if by chance any have been tried on before then any little bugs will be sorted before my temple like body wears them.
Why pay in my book hundreds for clothes that here wear out in 2/3 years of constant wearing , even clothes made top measure do not last long as opposed to two suits purchased in the UK 20 years ago still look good as new having worn them here on numerous occasions.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 8, 2020, 7:15 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 8, 2020, 6:44 am
It would appear that snobbery overtakes need. As yet in 15 years I have never found any of those items I purchased having been worn before by anyone. But as a precaution I forgot to mention like new clothes that are washable I always clean clothes I buy to get rid of the NAP as it were, so if by chance any have been tried on before then any little bugs will be sorted before my temple like body wears them.
Why pay in my book hundreds for clothes that here wear out in 2/3 years of constant wearing , even clothes made top measure do not last long as opposed to two suits purchased in the UK 20 years ago still look good as new having worn them here on numerous occasions.
Again you set your self up eh KP you can't help it with your snide remarks. In Your book hundreds 😂 so F what in pounds or dollars it's still nothing compared to real prices. I remember paying $200 dollars for a pair of shorts but at the time had no choice and needed them to get home (a long story from deepest Africa) Temple like body you mean Buddha body and finally everyone has court suits that last for years - no wonder you are still single in a land you can buy everything apart from common sense 😂

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » June 8, 2020, 7:20 am

Forgot to add if you buy more than 1 pair they can actually last for more than a few years then the hundreds will seem cheaper, you are giving aberdonians a bad name

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 8, 2020, 8:56 am

^ That's what I did while 71 Export was still trading, bought in multiples while they still had stock.

Their Aberdeen branch was nonsense.

I need to get my 3-piece, double-breasted suit down the cow shed when it reopens and try and pull like a KP.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 8, 2020, 10:34 am

dunroaming wrote:
June 8, 2020, 7:15 am
Khun Paul wrote:
June 8, 2020, 6:44 am
Again you set your self up eh KP you can't help it with your snide remarks. In Your book hundreds 😂 so F what in pounds or dollars it's still nothing compared to real prices. I remember paying $200 dollars for a pair of shorts but at the time had no choice and needed them to get home (a long story from deepest Africa) Temple like body you mean Buddha body and finally everyone has court suits that last for years - no wonder you are still single in a land you can buy everything apart from common sense 😂
Oh dear, touched a nerve did I, I was being sarcastic, ( went over your head ) about my body and yet you managed to insult me , for what reason other than you are what you are, a nasty little man always seeking to insult others. Have a good day, I apologise now if I have hurt your infantile sensibilities . Get a life !

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 8, 2020, 12:16 pm

A couple of things KP, like it or not most of those stalls do sell graded second hand clothes, why do you think they only have one of each item? I do actually say most not all, perhaps you missed that? It could be that the place you go to sells only new. How can snobbery come into this when the shorts we are buying are only 189 baht? You're obviously very poor if you think that's snobbery, let me know if that's the case and I'll buy you a pair, I pride myself on helping the needy and I'm 100% sure Dunroaming will chip in, he's a great bloke who'll be happy to assist.

By the way dunroamin, my new pairs arrived this a.m. don't forget to let me know if the 5xl fit 555

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 8, 2020, 2:19 pm

I buy secondhand shirts for work in farangland. I haven't purchased any shorts or trousers secondhand. It's really easy to find nice looking shirts (i.e. it's a convenient way to shop since secondhand shops are all over the place). If I look closely at the collar and cuffs many of them look as if they've never been worn at all. Some unlucky chap perhaps chose a size a bit small. I can buy about 10 to 20 of them for the price of an equivalent new one. It's ridiculous. Some secondhand shops can almost be posh. The local hospice shop has some posh volunteers.

I knew a woman who used to own a secondhand clothes shop. From listening to her, women seem to go the secondhand route quite a bit. They see a 'brand" and happily buy it secondhand to make themselves look a bit better off. Also when well to do women fall on hard times (e.g. she kicks the husband out etc.), some try to flog off their more expensive clothes.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » June 8, 2020, 2:24 pm

It's a personal decision, as a kid we didn't have a dad and we were dirt poor but we never wore second hand clothes or shoes, my mum would go without to make sure we always had new and perhaps it's ingrained from then but I still won't.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 8, 2020, 2:38 pm

Different horses for different horses.

About 30 years ago a consultant colleague I worked with, who was relatively well paid, would never buy anything (mainly clothes) at less than full price.

If he saw something he liked, and it was marked down/on sale/reduced, he would insist on paying the original full price, or pass on the purchase if that could not be accommodated.

ps my 36 inch Levis still fit perfectly. :D

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 8, 2020, 2:58 pm

What about an older sibling growing out of clothes and the clothes then being passed on to a younger sibling Vince? Did your family do that? That's probably pretty common. Perhaps you've worn an older brother's shorts. :)
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”