Buying a TCL TV?

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
Charlieb
udonmap.com

Buying a TCL TV?

Post by Charlieb » June 1, 2021, 9:53 am

I purchased a TCL TV in Feb. from Do Home for 14,000 Baht. Three weeks later it went out. Since it was still in store warranty Do Home, after verifying the failure, replaced the TV. I registered the new TV warranty with TCL via their web site.

Now 3 months later the TV has gone out again but no store warranty. All attempts to get TCL Service Center to help have resulted in nothing. When I get the guy that speaks English, he is rude and just says call back. I have had the wife talk with them in Thai and still no fix and will not even give a proper response. All they keep saying is”call back” . This has been going on for 5 days now. For 14,000 Baht I get to watch the wall. :-$ 😩

So take heed. A warranty is useless if they do not honor it.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: Buying a TCL TV?

Post by Niggly » June 1, 2021, 10:08 am

As a matter of interest, is the service centre local ?
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » June 1, 2021, 11:14 am

Never take a warranty seriously in a lawless country. Their interest in you evaporates the second the money passes from your hand to theirs.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 1, 2021, 11:50 am

No local service center only in Bangkok. But they are supposed to have people here to handle it. More reason not to buy the brand.
Can anyone recommend a repairman that will come to the house and repair a 55 inch LED TV?
Wife's friend sent someone here who obviously had never even seed an LCD TV. Made all kinds of noises about possible power fluctuations then asked for 500 Baht and left. So, trying to find someone who knows what they are doing is hard.
I guess I will just have to eat the 14,000 baht and chalk it up to experience.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » June 1, 2021, 12:32 pm

Thanks for the info.

There’s quite a few shops that purport to repair LED/LCD TVs if you put “TV Repair” into the search bar of Google Maps. Some even score 5/5 although admittedly out of not many reviews.

Maybe it’d be worth chucking the tv in the car & visiting so they can’t try & charge a call out fee?

(This is just a sample screenshot before everyone starts)
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » June 1, 2021, 12:39 pm

Hi,
We have a TCL and this morning the TV shut down. After thinking the worse, changed the batteries and back up and running. The TV is less than 12 months old. The TV may be old stock and the batteries (cheap batteries) may have run down while waiting for someone to buy the set. Worth a check

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » June 1, 2021, 1:55 pm

Charlieb wrote:
June 1, 2021, 11:50 am
No local service center only in Bangkok. But they are supposed to have people here to handle it. More reason not to buy the brand.
Can anyone recommend a repairman that will come to the house and repair a 55 inch LED TV?
Wife's friend sent someone here who obviously had never even seed an LCD TV. Made all kinds of noises about possible power fluctuations then asked for 500 Baht and left. So, trying to find someone who knows what they are doing is hard.
I guess I will just have to eat the 14,000 baht and chalk it up to experience.
Have bought 3 TCL tvs for family members from ‘Official TCL’ on Lazada. One of them went bad with horizontal lines across the dusplay. The sil said it coincided with elicticity problems in the area.

Bangkok TCL service (02-248-7506) sent a list of local service centers, the warranty is ‘on site’ for 40” and above. It actually means they will pick it up, fix it and return it. They apparently put a new screen in the 40” mentioned above.

The only number in Udon that responded, and ended up doing the warranty service for no charge, was 088-325-0569.

Pretty good TVs for a very good price. Not sure anout quality control, but good warranty service!
Ymmv. Good luck!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 1, 2021, 2:22 pm

Tony: What batteries? The ones in the remote? Of course I checked that.
Bkk:
Glad you got a response from TCL. I have called many times and all they will say is call back. I can't get them to tell me when or if a repairman will come. I have also sent two emails to TCL Service Center - no response. The number I am calling is the number you mentioned.

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » June 1, 2021, 2:40 pm

@charlieb
Wife and I both talked to a woman at that number. Maybe she is away, thus the “call back” from someone not used to fielding calls?

Our experience was not top notch, but after multiple calls and few weeks delay, the tv was good as new. Keep trying?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 1, 2021, 3:06 pm

Charlieb wrote:
June 1, 2021, 2:22 pm
Tony: What batteries? The ones in the remote? Of course I checked that.
Bkk:
Glad you got a response from TCL. I have called many times and all they will say is call back. I can't get them to tell me when or if a repairman will come. I have also sent two emails to TCL Service Center - no response. The number I am calling is the number you mentioned.
Get your wife to call?

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 1, 2021, 3:10 pm

Tam:
I did, same result. Thought you were gone.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 1, 2021, 3:41 pm

Charlieb wrote:
June 1, 2021, 3:10 pm
Tam:
I did, same result. Thought you were gone.
Gone but not forgotten... free internet at Changi too. Just waiting for my delivery pizza and beer. These ghost airports are awesome.

Back on topic, seems like language isn't the only issue with TCL customer service. Is that a 1-year manufacturer warranty?

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » June 1, 2021, 4:39 pm

Samsung is the only TV brand I buy - even when the power controller went (power surge) they still repaied it
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 1, 2021, 4:54 pm

Just for an outsider looking in:-
Wots a TCL TV?
Same as above, Samsung branded has never let me down, TVs, PC monitors etc.

As for batteries, I NEVER install the crap supplied into new remotes.
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on June 1, 2021, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 1, 2021, 5:01 pm

One year warranty but useless. Thanks for others pointing out better brands.
We all have 20/20 vision in our rear end.

One reason for posting is to learn from me. Any brand you buy should have a local service center.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 1, 2021, 5:05 pm

I did look at TCL brand when i was in the market for TVs but ended up getting 2 x LG and 1 Skyworth which is basically rebranded Toshiba both have been excellent .. and have not heard a great deal of positive feedback about TCL.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 1, 2021, 5:34 pm

My 55" TCL purchased via Lazada in late 2016 has hardly missed a beat. Only issue I can remember was having to reinstall the firmware probably 3 years ago - itself an easy process.

I will have no hesitation in buying another TCL if it suits my requirements and price when the time comes.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 1, 2021, 5:54 pm

jackspratt wrote:
June 1, 2021, 5:34 pm
My 55" TCL purchased via Lazada in late 2016 has hardly missed a beat. Only issue I can remember was having to reinstall the firmware probably 3 years ago - itself an easy ........
Yes maybe easy for you BUT:-
How do the majority of members who have to hand the remote to the kids just to change channels figure they have a firmware problem let alone find the software and install it?
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 1, 2021, 6:56 pm

Good move Jon. Maybe I should have talked you first :-)
A guy came and picked up the TV today. Not warranty service so I guess I will have to pay for the repairs.
Oh well!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 1, 2021, 7:44 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
June 1, 2021, 5:54 pm
Yes maybe easy for you BUT:-
How do the majority of members who have to hand the remote to the kids just to change channels figure they have a firmware problem let alone find the software and install it?
I reckon you do a disservice to the UM community, Dero.

The firmware reinstallation was done through the native Android TV operating system for the TV. Merely a few clicks of the remote.

In any case, I imagine that 99% of us know how to use Mr google.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”