Thai Language for Foreigners (Sponsor)

Where to find instruction in Thai, English and other languages around Udon Thani.
Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Thai Language for Foreigners

Post by Frankie 1 » February 7, 2013, 8:55 pm

mrmazinkle wrote:
fdimike wrote:The lady has a BA with a major in English and speaks the language quite well. However, lets not forget she is teaching Thai and not English.
Let us not forget also,many buy their degrees ,masters,here..Most of the Thai teachers are involved in this paper chase to improve their salaries.I don't know this girl.Maybe she gives value for money.Having said that I know many Thais with masters degrees teaching here who have no language OR teaching skills.
I don't know who you are mrmazinkle, but you are wrong.

Let's turn it around though...

Let us not forget also, ...most Farang come to Thailand without any language OR teaching skills and think they are the greatest teacher alive after doing a four weeks' impossible-to-fail (online) basic 'teacher' training course. Then brag about themselves on fora.

mrmazinkle
udonmap.com

Post by mrmazinkle » February 8, 2013, 7:45 am

Frankie 1 wrote:
mrmazinkle wrote:
fdimike wrote:The lady has a BA with a major in English and speaks the language quite well. However, lets not forget she is teaching Thai and not English.
Let us not forget also,many buy their degrees ,masters,here..Most of the Thai teachers are involved in this paper chase to improve their salaries.I don't know this girl.Maybe she gives value for money.Having said that I know many Thais with masters degrees teaching here who have no language OR teaching skills.
I don't know who you are mrmazinkle, but you are wrong.

Let's turn it around though...

Let us not forget also, ...most Farang come to Thailand without any language OR teaching skills and think they are the greatest teacher alive after doing a four weeks' impossible-to-fail (online) basic 'teacher' training course. Then brag about themselves on fora.
I stand by my statement and can see your argument too. Don't know what a 4 week teaching course is though..

mrmazinkle
udonmap.com

Post by mrmazinkle » February 8, 2013, 7:51 am

KB_Texas wrote:
mrmazinkle wrote: Let us not forget also,many buy their degrees ,masters,here..Most of the Thai teachers are involved in this paper chase to improve their salaries.I don't know this girl.Maybe she gives value for money.Having said that I know many Thais with masters degrees teaching here who have no language OR teaching skills.
And if you assume everyone with an advanced degree bought it, then you do a great disservice to the many (probably more than 80%) who actually did the work and got their degree. My wife has a Masters, and she most certainly did not buy it. Nor did her sister. As for 'teaching skills', I am not sure teachers in the West are any better anymore, but that is another subject.

KB
If you read my post it says many....Where you pluck your 80% from is anybody's guess..maybe you have access to all the statistical data..I don't..I only draw from personal experience.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » February 8, 2013, 5:49 pm

mrmazinkle wrote: If you read my post it says many....Where you pluck your 80% from is anybody's guess..maybe you have access to all the statistical data..I don't..I only draw from personal experience.
I do not know what 'many' means to you, but to me, it usually means a large percentage. Your usage may vary. Some people count one, two, many. ;)

I get my number from talking with my wife and her family, and listening to their friends. Does it happen? Sure. Is it prevalent? I don't believe so.

But then I may just be another hoodwinked farang in paradise. (that's a joke, in case you missed it)

KB

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 8, 2013, 5:58 pm

Mod Note: The subject is Thai Language for Foreigners.....let's try to get back on topic.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » February 8, 2013, 6:24 pm

KB

I would hate to disagree with you on the point of prevalence but I am going to do so. "Buying" a degree in this country is as common as sticky rice in Isaan. Add to that wide spread plagerism (witnessed first hand), paying someone to write your thesis - also witnessed first hand are all part of the "education" game here in Thailand. Students trading sex for grades is so common it's a joke. If the opportunity presents itself take a peek at some of the "text books" being used at this so called university here in UT. I promise you will be dumbfounded especially when you see the author is a Thai with a Phd. I don't think you can say all Thai's buy (in one way or another) their degree but I would be willing to bet the numbers will floor you.
Not long ago Isaan University not far from Khon Kaen was nearly shut down for selling degrees. Hundreds if not thousands of graduates supposedly had their degrees withdrawn and their teaching credentials cancelled. Khon Kaen University which is supposed to be a highly regarded institution was also invloved in a similar scam (quickly hushed up) several years back.
It's a pretty sad situation and it begins in elementary school.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

malc123
udonmap.com

Chuan Language School (Sponsor)

Post by malc123 » July 7, 2013, 10:27 pm

Have people tried out this school for 'Thai Language for Foreigners'

Would like to keep up with the Thai that I have so far learned.

malc123

steadyjohn
udonmap.com

Post by steadyjohn » July 8, 2013, 12:54 pm

Malc,

I am currently studying with Chuan.

I study two days a week (1 hour class)
Each lesson is split between conversation and reading.

Johnny

farlong68
udonmap.com

Post by farlong68 » August 29, 2013, 4:14 am

can anyone please tell me where the lessons are taught...also what time blocks? will be in udon in jan and feb my wife and I are traveling with 23 year old grandson, only his 2nd trip to Thailand and he wishes to learn real thai from a teacher not the mix of issan that my wife and I speak....thanks in advance for your help john

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » August 29, 2013, 11:09 am

farlong68 wrote:can anyone please tell me where the lessons are taught...also what time blocks? will be in udon in jan and feb my wife and I are traveling with 23 year old grandson, only his 2nd trip to Thailand and he wishes to learn real thai from a teacher not the mix of issan that my wife and I speak....thanks in advance for your help john
As far as I know there are only individual private lessons, no groups/classes.

There are a lot of Farang in Udon, but not enough Farang in Udon who are interested in learning Thai. So, usually there are not enough students to form a group/class.

johnno

Post by johnno » August 22, 2014, 3:06 pm

I'd like to give Kru Chuan an endorsement in case anyone is looking for a Thai teacher. I studied with her for 2 months. She's a good teacher, clear and patient, with experience of teaching Thai to farangs. Recommended.

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » October 7, 2014, 1:46 pm

Where does the teaching take place?
I have seen two requests on this thread for that information but was not able to find an answer. Can anybody help?

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 8, 2014, 9:53 am

If the school Is in the same place it's across the street from Steves near the complex. I had for two years at AUA an excellent experience. I tried her school didn't last long got a teacher I didn't see eye to eye with, so I only lasted two days. If Chan is giving the class you will enjoy it and that is important. You have to be in it for the long haul you won't learn overnight. I don't know of anyone who teaches Issan.

I have the book that Parrot recommended they are great, you get speaking reading and writing with them.

I would take classes with Chan again. But, not with the other teacher.

This is what I ran into at AUA I really couldn't get past the basic level. When it cam time to advance the mid level instruction. The people in the class were far beyond the basic level. Not AUA's fault you have business you have to have enough people to pay for a class,

Been so now long I need review on the basic level. That I could do in a group class.

Beyond that it would have to be one on one. I forget so much I need to read and write.

Most times even if you don't speak Issan you can get general idea about what is going on.

The phone number is in this thread so I will call her

For the guy trying to find it, give her a call she speaks very good English she can explain it to you

094-121-4590
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » October 9, 2014, 7:46 am

"across the street from Steves near the complex" Can you elaborate on this? Who/what is "Steves" and which complex?

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » October 10, 2014, 8:37 am

I spoke with her yesterday, it may not be at that location anymore. I was asking about private lesson's

Sorry about that used to only be on complex, I was speaking of Robison's

Give a call.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » October 10, 2014, 2:05 pm

frankieboy37 wrote:"across the street from Steves near the complex" Can you elaborate on this? Who/what is "Steves" and which complex?
Try Here
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/t ... 26032.html

frankieboy37
udonmap.com

Post by frankieboy37 » October 12, 2014, 10:52 am

Thanks to “bumper” and “retired” for trying to be helpful in my trying to discover where physically Chuan teaches. I have read the thread through entirely and cannot find a location and do not know what Steve’s or complex are directly referring to. Thankfully some years ago I made a decision to not own or use a telephone and have been very satisfied with that decision hence my specific forum question. Does anybody personally know where she teaches, if she indeed still does?

udonsmiles
udonmap.com

Post by udonsmiles » October 12, 2014, 3:34 pm

Chuan teaches from home in Sinchi Thani. Give her a call - her English is very good.

ugotguts
udonmap.com

Post by ugotguts » April 24, 2015, 1:14 pm

Does Chuan have an email address that I can connect her at?

dighambara

Post by dighambara » September 13, 2015, 5:50 am

Chuan,

I would like a copy of your Thai "Nine Nines" - Gow, Gao - etc., as Thai folks just do not understand why foreigners cannot hear the 'tones'...

I still don't, so I continue to guess when Thai folks use only a few words.

Return to “Language Instruction in Udon Thani”