I would like to be a volunteer of Thai language instructor.

Where to find instruction in Thai, English and other languages around Udon Thani.
clark_kent911
udonmap.com

Post by clark_kent911 » March 6, 2014, 4:26 pm

Can anyone suggest me where I can be a volunteer of Thai language instructor in UTH? I am an Udonthani person. I used to work in BKK. I graduated in Industrial Engineering, both bachelor's and master's degrees from universities in Thailand (I also got my second master's degree in the same field but concentrated in Logistics from Arlington, TX, USA). I have been living in UTH for a year and a bit more (yes, I returned to my hometown after working in BKK for 10 and some more years). Why would I like to instruct Thai to others? Because I realize that there are more and more foreigners visiting UTH each year and many finally live or do businesses in UTH. Another point is I believe I can convey good ways of speaking Thai as beginners to foreigners who do not know Thai at all (simple daily communication).

I presently run my own business, a small grocery store in the area called Versilles village on Ban Dua or Udon-Samprao Rd. I am single, at the age of 45 so my time as a volunteer of Thai instructor is flexible.

I used to teach my S. Korean, Japanese and Dutch friends about reading, writing and speaking Thai.

My foreign language skills: English (good), German (beginner).

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » March 6, 2014, 4:42 pm

Try AUA, I think they are looking for good Thai language teachers.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » March 6, 2014, 5:37 pm

maybe go to help on the technical college

socksy
udonmap.com

Post by socksy » March 7, 2014, 7:54 am

Instead of being flexible with your times why don't you give group lessons on a set day and time and location. I think that may generate a better response as I think like me many people would like to converse and understand more - at least basics.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

clark_kent911
udonmap.com

Post by clark_kent911 » March 7, 2014, 9:24 am

Thanks for advices.
About setting time, day and location, I did think about this but the point is about a location. My house is not available, I looked for a spot in the downtown, then I gave up because of too high renting cost for me. I will not charge for teaching Thai, as I said I want to be a volunteer. I just want to help UTH society in some ways. I will probably ask the AUA office about this.

clark_kent911
udonmap.com

Post by clark_kent911 » March 7, 2014, 9:25 am

If anyone would like me to help about communicating.learning Thai, just drop me messages at [email protected] .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 7, 2014, 11:47 am

Patrick......if you're game:
Could you give me an example of how to use the idiom "จับควายใส่ตุ่ม" in a Thai sentence?
I'll try one of my own....but don't know if I'm using it correctly:
คนที่อยากจะแก้ปึญหาของประเทศต้องจำไว้ว่า จับควายใส่ตุ่มไม่ได้
I'm an amateur at the language, so please don't fret about correcting my mistakes....or even tell me I'm way off base.
Thanks

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » March 7, 2014, 12:24 pm

Post above is to check whether the OP is genuine i can read thru that a mile

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » March 7, 2014, 12:53 pm

clark_kent911 wrote:Thanks for advices.
About setting time, day and location, I did think about this but the point is about a location. My house is not available, I looked for a spot in the downtown, then I gave up because of too high renting cost for me. I will not charge for teaching Thai, as I said I want to be a volunteer. I just want to help UTH society in some ways. I will probably ask the AUA office about this.
Try the public library.
UFF DA!

clark_kent911
udonmap.com

Post by clark_kent911 » March 7, 2014, 4:09 pm

Parrot,
I would say you are not a basic Thai speaking person, but more advanced, probably than real Thai people who are not good at in Thai slangs/phrases.
Your sentence is not wrong, but should not be used officially. You can see such like your sentence in a newspaper or a group of conversation on a street (we call as Sa Pa Ka Fae = สภากาแฟ).
"จับควายใส่ตุ่ม" = Chub Kwai Sai Tum, meaning straightly as “Putting a buffalo into a big water container”, but this is a sarcastic phrase, so its real meaning is it is not possible to do something.
Chub means grasp, seize or having something by hands and such that thing cannot be released.
Kwai = buffalo, Sai = put into (for this case), Tum = a big water container, made from clay, cement or ceramic.
Generally the size of a buffalo is much bigger than the top of a water container, so we cannot put a buffalo into a container.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 7, 2014, 7:27 pm

Sakhonnick wrote:Post above is to check whether the OP is genuine i can read thru that a mile
Really?

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » March 8, 2014, 12:49 am

Why you questioning your own self? Really?

You are the top dog on the forum in Thai, now you have a challenge, he may take over from you!!!

I admire anybody who learns a second language especially if their native is English, but you do brag a bit with your skill, writing in Thai when 99.9% of the guys on here have no idea what your writing

I to can speak Thai, rather well for never having a lesson
reading and writing not so good.

Good luck with the challenge

wiking
udonmap.com

Post by wiking » March 8, 2014, 3:12 pm

but take care off this to work as volunteer - many times you need a visa - this is not worth to get problem to help for free

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 14, 2014, 11:16 am

Patrick,
I saw this sign on the row of buildings along the Udon-Nongwahsaw Hwy, near the kilo 5 T-intersection. I thought it was a novel way to advertise a building for sale:
ตึกนี มีแต่เรื่องดีๆ ปาฏิหาริย ถูกหวยกันบ่อยๆ
ลองแวะมาคุยกับคนที่เข้ามาอยู่ แล้วได้ครับ!!
อยากรวยมาอยู่ด้วยกันครับ

My amateur translation is:

Only good things happen in this building.....(for example) miracles and often winning the lottery. You can stop in and chat with the people who live here! Come and live here if you want to be rich.

I'm not sure of the แล้วได้ครับ - which I translated as 'you can'. I'm wondering if a better translation would be "Stop in and chat with the people who live here......and (those same things....miracles, winning the lottery) will happen to you too!!

In any case, it's an interesting way to advertise a piece of property!
Attachments
dfds-001.jpg

clark_kent911
udonmap.com

Post by clark_kent911 » March 15, 2014, 4:09 pm

Parrot,

You are not amateur, but very professional. You are correct with your translation.
The advertising words are not a novels or poem. They are just words expressing many good things about living in houses. This could be for general Thai people, I mean not for well-educated or high-society ones. I believe you can perceive from wording (about miracles, lottery).

Thanks for another test from you, Parrot!

chaimeekwahmsuk

Post by chaimeekwahmsuk » March 17, 2014, 1:41 pm

i'm alway's trying to improve my thai (independently) I would be happy to benefit from your voluntary service.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 31, 2014, 4:20 pm

How do I differentiate between:

"Don't be gone for so long." (action already completed)

"Don't go for too long." (anticipated action not yet completed)

I'm under the impression that "อย่าไปนานนักนะครับ" means "Don't be gone for so long." But if that's the case, what do I say when I want to say "Don't go for too long."?

Perhaps อย่าไปนานนักนะครับ covers both?

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » March 31, 2014, 5:49 pm

Parrot: To remove entirely all informed/misinformed conjecture as to your motives for the, continuing, interrogatives you are directing at this seemingly sncere young man. A suggestion.

Your enquiries relate to specfic PERSONAL Thai languge problems you imply you are experiencing, and therefore are of no interest to other Forum members. If you are sincerely seeking to take 'Clark' up on his offer, would it not make sense, and be logical, for you to conduct personal correspondence with hm, by way of private PM or email. After all, his offer was for gwenerously provide PRVATE lessons, not to conduct lessons, or undergo a public examination, on a Forum Thread. Just a thought.

NB. I will NOT be posting any further on this thread.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 31, 2014, 7:07 pm

Okay, deal. I promise I won't post on the football thread (as I have no interest) if you promise to let me continue posting on this thread (as you have no interest). No need to respond as you've already indicated.

chaimeekwahmsuk

Post by chaimeekwahmsuk » April 2, 2014, 1:10 pm

don't go for too long...mai dai bai nahn girn bai..
ไม่ ได้ ไป นาน เกิน ไป ไม่ แน่
not sure.

Return to “Language Instruction in Udon Thani”