Learn Thai Style - Anyone tried?

Where to find instruction in Thai, English and other languages around Udon Thani.
ugotguts
udonmap.com

Post by ugotguts » May 23, 2015, 1:09 pm

Hi all

Anyone tried using the services of Learn Thai Style before?

One-time membership payment and thereafter 300baht an hr?

Any comments?

Cheers

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » May 23, 2015, 1:20 pm

If readers haven't tried Thai Style perhaps they might suggest good alternatives.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 23, 2015, 8:35 pm

I learnt how to speak, write and read Thai in a fairly capable manner at the University of Wisconsin (Madison) and Chiang Mai University. Watching movies and videos of singers in Thai also helped after the academic studies ended.

I am making significant progress in speaking, writing and reading Lao through my knowledge of Thai and watching Lao singers on DVD's, and watching Lao TV when in Laos.

Khun Parrot is the best one to ask.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » May 23, 2015, 10:48 pm

The website at www.learnthaistyle.com is one of the most professional I've seen advertising Thai language training. It's some sort of franchise......not limited to Udon.
My advice.....evaluate what it is you want to learn....convey that to the teacher......ask for a week's worth of instruction at regular cost.....then decide if it's what you want to do.
If you're really serious about learning the language, learn to read. It's not impossible.......but having a good one-on-one teacher will make a big difference. Be prepared to spend many more hours at home working on your lessons than you do in a classroom.
If you decide to try the program out, how about provide some feedback for future reference on this forum. Thanks

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » May 24, 2015, 1:55 am

I would guess since the OP can speak chinese learning Thai should be easy?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 24, 2015, 2:50 am

ting_tong wrote:I would guess since the OP can speak chinese learning Thai should be easy?
I tried learning Cantonese with a bunch of Chinese high school students for a couple of years. This is because I was introducing a course on Hong Kong history at the University of Toronto. Learning to read and write Chinese was the most difficult, and I forgot most everything a few years after I moved to another university.

One thing that did help was that there were some common words between Cantonese and northern Thai. This might be attributed to the fact that many linguists believed Cantonese speakers migrated south to the Thai-speaking areas in Kwangtung Province. Eventually, they believe, the Cantonese pushed the Thais out toward Vietnam, Laos and present-day Thailand.

There is not much in common between Mandarin and Thai.

I don't think it is easy learning any language other than one's mother tongue.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » May 24, 2015, 3:37 am

ting_tong wrote:I would guess since the OP can speak chinese learning Thai should be easy?
Love his instagram and twitter pages \:D/

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » May 24, 2015, 9:09 am

That would make Chai, Chinese for Thai in English

Cantonese or Mandarin

Mai, is Mandarin in Thai in English

I give up, Maybe i will google Global Media Sites to get some results

I guess TT, we will all need an ASEAN translator app from the google play store soon , as ASEANS flood Nutty Park, Cow Shed on their licence free bike.

mickthai
udonmap.com

Post by mickthai » May 24, 2015, 11:26 am

I have been using Thai style for a couple of years now,the first teacher I had was hopeless,constantly distracted by her phone and always late (this was in London) 12 pound an hour.The last teacher was extremely good,you can also interact online I would recommend them.

ugotguts
udonmap.com

Post by ugotguts » May 24, 2015, 6:10 pm

there is only 2 teachers located in Udon. I was hesitant to register and pay the registration fee at first without knowing what to expect.

Many thanks for all the feedback. My priority is learn to speak :)

Return to “Language Instruction in Udon Thani”