Teaching vacancy.

Where to find instruction in Thai, English and other languages around Udon Thani.
udonfox
udonmap.com

Teaching vacancy.

Post by udonfox » February 14, 2020, 5:35 pm

Any one know of a school looking for an English teacher---- interim,short term,part-time,full-time,anything ! Or someone looking for a private tutorDesperate for work.Cheers !

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Teaching vacancy.

Post by jackspratt » February 14, 2020, 7:45 pm

I believe the English teacher at the main government high school in Ban Dung is leaving come Songkran.

Hope this helps.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 14, 2020, 7:53 pm

I was told by a Thai teacher Udon Christian school on Dutsadi rd will be recruiting for the new school year in starting in May 20 , i doubt any schools will take on new teachers being so close to the end of term and then the long SK hols ... an idea may be to try and get a position doing a summer school during the hols then try for full time thereafter.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 15, 2020, 7:42 am

According to the Bangkok Post the MINISTRY of Education is asking Embassies to assist in recruiting Native English speakers as teachers, I noted that it stated does not matter how they speak as long as the lessons are FUN.

That means basically that only the Top 5 English speaking nations will be recruited from as sadly no-one else is classed as NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING. Doing away with Tinglish, Indian Speak and African mumbo jumbo , will certainly assist in English training. I also note that they intend to up the standards for Thai Unis to mean that in 5 years they do not need so many foreign teachers.
All my time here only ever met no more than a handful of Thai teachers that could teach English, correctly and understand the nuances and inflection required but then they were MA and Doctorate qualified .

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » February 15, 2020, 8:17 am

Private Language School on Sitthi Siri Alley (behind Ban Chiang Hotel) is looking for an English teacher.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 15, 2020, 9:32 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 15, 2020, 7:42 am
According to the Bangkok Post the MINISTRY of Education is asking Embassies to assist in recruiting Native English speakers as teachers, I noted that it stated does not matter how they speak as long as the lessons are FUN.

That means basically that only the Top 5 English speaking nations will be recruited from as sadly no-one else is classed as NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKING. Doing away with Tinglish, Indian Speak and African mumbo jumbo , will certainly assist in English training. I also note that they intend to up the standards for Thai Unis to mean that in 5 years they do not need so many foreign teachers.
All my time here only ever met no more than a handful of Thai teachers that could teach English, correctly and understand the nuances and inflection required but then they were MA and Doctorate qualified .
I agree with your comment ref native speakers against non native .. at the last count native were listed as

English (inc Scots n Welsh)
American
Aussie
NZ
Canadian

Any other were non native ..for some reason fillipinos fell into some where in between and were n maybe still hired here in large numbers as cheaper than the above ref salary .

I taught here for 6 to 7 years (2000 to 2006) in various locations from language schools to Thai government , international and post graduates at South East Asia Uni on Phetkasem rd in Bangkae along the way i met many non native of various nationalities whose accents and grammar made it difficult for me to understand them so how would the students manage... and yes i was fully licensed n qualified with a teaching qualification gained in the UK and another advanced Celta in Bangkok... heres the thing .. there are numerous reasons why an expat wants to teach here , mostly to earn the money to stay here on a perminent basis .. not ""born to be a teacher"" i soon realized after i sold property in the UK and didnt need to teach that i really didnt like children that much especially uninterested brats who had never had an ounce of discipline and parents who literally didnt give a toss and school was at best a babysitting service whist both worked to keep up payments on the house n cars .. kids dropped off at 6.30 am picked up 12 hours later quite normal.

Just my 10 penneth.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 15, 2020, 10:25 am

udonfox I would suggest do the rounds of all the private schools
My kids seem to have a different English teacher nearly every year if not term

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » February 15, 2020, 12:10 pm

Thank you for your replies and info.Much appreciated and a great help.That is.my Monday taken care of.Cheers !

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 17, 2020, 5:57 am

Khun Paul wrote:
February 15, 2020, 7:42 am

Paul i'm not knocking your reasoning of the Min of Education asking Embassies etc ,
But some years ago this happened (i believe you were employed full time as a teacher so maybe you never came across it ) they employed native English speakers , under the guise of trainers to get round the work permit laws ,(some people are still working using this title ) first we were requested (begged ) to train Teachers in the verbal and methods of learning Enrish ,this was deemed as successful , they then moved us onto the class room upto M3 ,the promise of there always being a teacher (Thai ) present ,along with all required course work ,and the 500 bht per hour ,( some people already teaching resigned from their post's to go for the 500 bht ) all this never materialised ,no course work assistance ,(you'd to make your own ,i've still got everything i did ,this was all extra work unpaid on top of what you were supposed to do ) the teacher always present never happened AT ALL , the 500 bht per hour dropped to 200 bht , ( many of the "already teachers " were really pissed at this as now they were already committed having resigned ) .
Within (estimate ) 9 months of this along comes new Minister of Edu and the dropping of this along with all the Trainers ,
So just as a heads up if this all comes to fruition beware they will / could drop you in the blink of an eye .
There were no benefits ,Eg , paid holidays , health cover ,any classes you didn't teach ( due to the schools activities) you had to make up with later classes , Two schools that i was involved with ,after the ending of this program tried to get me to cover the classes they cancelled due to their activities ,i pointed out that i was no longer employed as a trainer so therefore no cover on the work permit ,i just supplied the course work (that i'd prepared ) for the classes missed , and that was the end of that .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 17, 2020, 6:49 am

The biggest problem I forsee is that under the NEW Government dictates, you need to be a Native English Speaker as before , however as per usual no-one will enforce across the board that requirement . Plus there is nothing it appears in writing at the level of recompense nor added on benefits like health care while at work, holidays or even down time, I did work at a school where if not teaching not paid, so every random day the Director wanted the children to have off, meant a hit to the wages. Not acceptable I can tell you.
The soundbites as usual sound good but in reality it needs meat on the bones as it were to entice people to teach. Some schools demanding an 8 hour day despite maybe only teaching 2 hours, or engineer the schedule so that you teach at the end of each and every day ( maybe your only lesson but you have to be there at 0800 ) as Thai Teachers like to slope off early.

Yes the announcement is good, but in practice , unless they oversee each and every application and monitor all the schools it as before a damp squib. I have been recently asked by a previous school to return at the same rate as before under the same conditions, I said no at least 50% increase and NO 8 hour day. even with the Government assistance they said no, as they keep the excess, which I have been told is almost 50-60k a month, so if they pay you 25-30 k, they make money off you.

Return to “Language Instruction in Udon Thani”