Sexist or Racist Thailand Law or both?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Sexist or Racist Thailand Law or both?

Post by Naam Jai » June 15, 2009, 8:51 pm

Sexist Thai laws

Having been married to a Thai woman for over 30 years I have noticed that women in Thailand are regarded as second-class citizens.

This is especially noticeable in interracial marriages.

If a Thai man marries a woman from another country, and they want to live in Thailand she can obtain an O visa without any problem.

She does not have to show any work record, money in the bank etc. But when it comes to a Thai woman marring a man from another country, and they want to live in Thailand then the man has to show all kinds of documents every year to obtain the O visa. He has to show a work record while making a certain amount of money, and go through a lot of hassle in order to obtain this O visa.

If the situation was reversed, and they want to live in the country of origin for the man say the UK then there is no big problem, for the women in the UK are regarded as equal to the men, but here in Thailand as stated the women are regarded as second class citizens. You could be married to a Thai woman for 50 years, and they would still not give you an O visa without showing money in the bank, work record, etc. Maybe within the next 200 years Thailand will regard its women as equals. Women in Thailand should get together and take the government to court for sexism.

STEVE
From the BKK Post today 15th June 2009

Ter
udonmap.com

Re: Sexist or Racist Thailand Law or both?

Post by Ter » June 15, 2009, 9:04 pm

Not sure what point you are trying to make ?
This is Thailand probably not the same laws or rules as your home country, so what, there's planes leave everyday.
30yrs is a long time to realize this, and if women are regarded as second class what makes you think their voices will be heard.
Next you will be telling us there's double pricing.

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » June 15, 2009, 9:21 pm

Yes, Ter
(Is that short for Terrorist?)
There will always be double pricing for people like you who do not pass "GO"

I thought it an interesting letter in BKK Post from "Steve" worth passing on, especially for those with Thai wives.

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » June 15, 2009, 9:25 pm

What, you mean they did not know already ? :roll: IMO it is a non story. Unless you can prove otherwise I will stick to my opinion.
As to the rest of your post it is as cryptic as most of your posts.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 15, 2009, 9:31 pm

Naam Jai wrote:Yes, Ter
(Is that short for Terrorist?)
There will always be double pricing for people like you who do not pass "GO"

I thought it an interesting letter in BKK Post from "Steve" worth passing on, especially for those with Thai wives.
Agree Naam Jai VERY Interesting BUT I am afraid ANY Thai Womens protests regarding this would fall on DEAF EARS !!! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » June 15, 2009, 10:27 pm

What this man "Steve" says in the BKK post about foreign women marrying Thai or foreign man in Thailand is true. I married one.

I was disappointed not to see more Thai women at the Police Meeting last weekend.
Many are more emancipated after marrying a foreigner and could have made a contribution or at least been able to communicate better afterwards as a result of what they heard.

What the writer "Steve"is saying, I think is that there is no organisation or group that Thai women who marry foreigners, can join to get to get better rights for their husbands.

There are Thai wives, I know, who would appreciate more equal rights for the "Falang" they marry regarding visa runs to buying and owning land and rights for their children. It would make the relationship more secure. It is high time Thai law recognised these foreigners better than they do.

Yes, Thai law is sexist and racist. AND IT NEEDS CHANGING.

There are some "Farangs" posting here who want Thai women to be third class citizens.
"Women are a sometime thing " but that is no reason to exclude them from their human or civil rights.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » June 15, 2009, 10:45 pm

Gents,,,, is it possible to look at the points about requirements placed upon farangs marrying Thai women in Thailand as a pro women position? After all, they and their children are the ones to inherit upon death or failure of the marriage. I see nothing racist or sexist about that.

Sure,,, the requirements are arbitrary and constantly changing, an unbelievable hassle at times,,,,,, but the option is there to leave and settle somewhere else....... what is more important, living in Thailand or being with your wife and kids???? For me ,,,, not even a moment of hesitation,,,, be anywhere ,,,,,,,,,TOGETHER.

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » June 16, 2009, 1:41 am

Well said LL ;)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » June 16, 2009, 3:16 am

It's the get Falang syndrome that some folks can't get over. Of course when asked it was someone else trying to get to them before. Basically no trust in mankind.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 16, 2009, 4:11 am

the laws do change.. Remember, prior to the 97 recession Thai land law stated that any Thai woman married to a foreigner could NOT own land. However, a Thai man married to a foreign woman could own land. With the recession, the Thai government decided to change the law, not as to be more equitable but to draw money back into Thailand.. So, there's hope....

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 16, 2009, 9:03 am

you have two choices you can obtain a retirement visa were you don't need to show 40 k month you just have to show some thing coming in as for Thai women being second class that IMO will never change.
as for us expats let be honest they fear us because we do not use or abuse our wives & G.F.
just look at the laws you want to open a business you must have a thai as 51% ownership
look at the education system here and many other eye openers so is thailand racist yes but
that not all it is :censored: :censored: :censored: so before any of you tell me if I don't like I can leave & yes I have that option and trust me I soon may be taken that option the only thing now keeping me here is my wife since she is very happy living in the village she was born in and with her family and yes I do find
it repulsive that a female expat does not have to comply like a male expat but any female expat who marries a thai and get abused & used no sympathy from me BTW I have met one she from the UK
I will say no more Frazee you said there is hope don't hold your breath I sure am not going to hold mine

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » June 16, 2009, 4:30 pm

There is an organisation "Thai women who marry Farang men" I am in it as such, same as trubrit, ralph and a few others.. They are highlighting the differences at roadshows etc. One of their thrusts at the moment which i am getting involved in is the lack of farang type blood, again this is being worked on,, we are maybe going to do a stall at the complex and basically ask farangs as they come in thir blood type and if they dont know it will be done there and then on the spot, then we will have a register of all types of blood groups to call upon ion an emergency.. I had an operation in KK recently because Udon were scared i would bleed!!! They recently lost a farang guy due to lack o0f blood!!! This is all being co-ordinated by Nong Bua Wasaw Hospital... so if you contact "Miaow" she will put you on the right track..
in fact my wife and me were invited to a function at Uborn Ratachani, where i had to speak to loads of people and also the wife did, mentioning things like we have no rights here etc, we could have a wife and children and still have to leave the country for visas etc, not allowed to own land, all the things that we farangs and indeed our wives are concerned about... in fact she was telephoned by a National Thai newspaper for an interview... So i believe things are going to change in time!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 16, 2009, 5:13 pm

They are highlighting the differences at roadshows etc. One of their thrusts at the moment which i am getting involved in is the lack of farang type blood,
I have said it before and I WILL say it again, I highlighted the lack of mainly 'O' Neg which causes problems, most positives are ok as are a,b,ab neg but it is the O neg, I did set up and quite succesfully a system whereby you could go to Udon Hospital Blood bank answer the questions I arranged in English and give the blood every 3/4 months return and donate again.
However as per usual it fell on deaf ears and lo and behold we have a problem again.
gentlemen wake up, failing to donate could be a problem for you in the future, they raised the age from 60 to 65 at my insustence and as yet I feel the take up of that offer was at best poor.
it is known i stated it on Home cable, at rotary and in udon hospital in fact the deputy director of Udon province health authority is also aware ( and a friend of mine as well). so it can be dealt with but it needs armful of donated blood not empty promises. Nuff said.

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » June 17, 2009, 11:56 pm

Paul
your idea relied on people to actually go and give blood by themselves... this idea is to actually go to the farang and get him or her registerd, not give blood but be willing to go and give blood if needed in an emergency.. So lets say we have 50 O+ on our list, if needed we can phone all of them and taking into account people being away etc we can probably get enough blood there and then.. Everybody is highly likely to agree to being on the register as its a 2 bladed sword!!!! You never know when you may need the people on the register...There is no need to give blood every few months etc, there is no chance of it being wasted as it runs out of date or is sold on for a few bob... Its stored in your body until needed...Simple really..

The thing is Paul.... You can moan and moan incesantly as you have been about this topic or you can ask yourself why people never took it up... its about getting fresh blood to a person who needs it and a flexible aproach is needed here.
So your way never worked, and maybe this way wont who knows, but better to try something different than sit moaning about it dont you think..

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 18, 2009, 1:05 am

seymourbutts said
One of their thrusts at the moment which i am getting involved in is the lack of farang type blood
I just have one question, what is Farang type blood, is it more red then Thai blood, a special Farang blood type like OOOO double positive, or just that it is 'cleaner' then Thai blood?

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » June 18, 2009, 1:20 am

Stantheman wrote:seymourbutts said
One of their thrusts at the moment which i am getting involved in is the lack of farang type blood
I just have one question, what is Farang type blood, is it more red then Thai blood, a special Farang blood type like OOOO double positive, or just that it is 'cleaner' then Thai blood?
this is what he means,

http://www.bloodbook.com/world-abo.html
There are racial and ethnic differences in Blood type and composition. The ABO Blood group system was discovered in 1901 and since it is of major importance in medicine, samples have been diligently collected from the most remote of people groups for a century. Of no other human characteristic is so much data available. Most populations have migrated and mixed. Unfortunately the reliability of the Blood data for assessing relationships between population groups is very limited. This is mostly due to the lack of availability and interchange of this important data. As the chart below reveals, the frequency and purity of the four main ABO Blood groups varies in populations throughout the world. Great variation occurs in different groups within a given country; even a small country, as one ethnic group mixes, or not, with another. Blood type purity depends on migration, disease, interrelational-reproductive opportunity, traditions and customs, geography and the initial Blood type assigned.

Publishing the ethnic differences in Blood type and the racial differences in Blood type is not, in the present-day world, considered to be politically correct. We compile and maintain this database through often times confidential sources. Every Blood gathering entity in the world must gather this information to stay in business, but almost every one of them is afraid to publish the racial and ethnic differences in Blood type, given the emotionally charged political climate. Discount Cord Blood Registry.

For example, early European races are characterized by a very low type B frequency, and a relatively high type A frequency while the Asiatic races are characterized by a high frequency of types A and B. The following chart does not consider Rh factor and may vary in specific regions. It is also different for some very particular racial or ethnic groups. We have highlighted interesting pure anomalies.

Rare blood types can cause Blood supply problems for unprepared Blood banks and hospitals. For example, the rare Blood type Duffy-negative Blood, occurs much more frequently in people of African ancestry. The relatively rarity of this rare Blood type in the rest of the North-American population can result in a shortage of that rare Blood type for patients of African ethnicity, in need of a Blood transfusion. Keep in mind, if you have a rare Blood type, there may be some risk in traveling to parts of the world where your rare Blood type may be in short supply. Knowledge of ABO Blood type frequency can be life saving information. Blood test results, Blood tests, Rare Blood types, blood disorders.

The frequency with which Blood types are observed is determined by the frequency with which the three alleles of the ABO gene are found in different parts of the world. Variation in this allele frequency of the ABO gene reflects the social tendency of populations to marry and reproduce within their national, regional, or ethnic group. As people throughout the world intermingle to a greater degree, the distribution of the different Blood types will continue to become more uniform. Red cell antigens are the pheno-typical expression of our inherited genes. One of the most common questions that we get is about the the ethnic and racial distribution of human Blood groups. In response, following here is our collection of basic ABO Blood group data, sorted by people groups.

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » June 18, 2009, 2:08 am

Very good background info Fawn! Interesting this has been highighted, not something that has crossed my mind before. In my heart op in 2007, things didn't go according to plan, and i ended up with 9 litres of blood. Also now, i am a drug called warfarin which means if i had an accident and lost blood, it'd be more lost than the average as warfarin impedes blood clotting. So as an expat in Thailand, if i need a major operation, i'll have to check the stocks are there. And as i don't want an accident, i'll have to drive the car, slowly, looking left and right, and right and left, giving way to everything farang, and Thai, and praying, nothing hits me. How difficult is that? :roll:

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » June 18, 2009, 2:49 am

With apologies to the original subject.

Never mind what sex or race you are, in an emergency, and without blood grouping being established, anyone can be given O Rh negative blood. The majority of Europeans are blood group type O Rh positive. Whatever blood group you are, I am sure the Thailand Blood bank would be grateful for a donation, providing you meet all the conditions for giving blood.

As Tony Hancock said, a whole pint? That is an arm full, (but it is quickly replaced.)
I have given at least 25 pints of blood altogether, and I know many here will have given more.
If you are a healthy person, I am sure the local Blood Bank would be pleased to hear from you. :love:

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » June 18, 2009, 3:32 am

Naam Jai wrote:With apologies to the original subject.

Never mind what sex or race you are, in an emergency, and without blood grouping being established, anyone can be given O Rh negative blood.
One time only.

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » June 18, 2009, 9:27 am

Fawn
You would agree...........
If you are going to have more than one accident,better to know your blood group. The hospital where you have the first emergency blood transfusion will do this along with other routine screening. :love:

Return to “Open Forum”