Spotters Fee

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
plien
udonmap.com

Spotters Fee

Post by plien » July 26, 2009, 1:42 pm

My ex tg used to find pleasure in finding ladies for my friends after we moved to farangland. I felt sick of the idea and wanted nothing to do with it, therefore nothing much happened in my circle of friends. Now 10 years after we split up, she can still come up with a suitable lady for me. Always, when I ask her why she take such an interest with other peoples private situation, answer is that she only want to help. The whole time I thought it is a cultural thing. Now after reading this forum for a while I suspect the Spotters Fee might be quite common. For me its been a guarded secret and no thai have wanted to discuss the subject. Can you good brains out there put some light on this Spotters Fee phenomenon ?
Plien

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Spotters Fee

Post by BobHelm » July 26, 2009, 1:52 pm

Thais get paid by a variety of different people for assisting them. This is irrespective of whether a Falang is involved or not.
For example..
Take someone to a Motor Bike/Car Showroom & they subsequently buy a vehicle there.
Take someone to a property that is for rent/sale and they subsequently rent/buy.
Why should it be any different just because the product happened to be a human being...

goonersh
udonmap.com

Post by goonersh » July 26, 2009, 2:41 pm

BobHelm wrote: Why should it be any different just because the product happened to be a human being...
Human being... product!!!!! shame shame shame Bob. I actually cant believe you wrote that.. (although of course you are free to)

Humans and Human situations are not products, Humans are living breathing souls who deserve a little more respect than being lumped in with a rented property or a car for ANY reason... sure people make make money off humans, but to call them products... IMO outrageous

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 26, 2009, 2:50 pm

If you do not believe that humans are seen as a "product" by nearly every international business then you can have never worked for one goonersh.
By man's actions to man (that can be seen be seen in every newspaper, television newscast & everywhere on the internet) most humans treat other humans far worse than they would their car or house...

goonersh
udonmap.com

Post by goonersh » July 26, 2009, 3:28 pm

BobHelm wrote:If you do not believe that humans are seen as a "product" by nearly every international business then you can have never worked for one goonersh.
By man's actions to man (that can be seen be seen in every newspaper, television newscast & everywhere on the internet) most humans treat other humans far worse than they would their car or house...
I dont care what businesss call humans Bob, and i of course know exactly what you are saying about the way the world is but.. and its a HUGE but ....that hardly justifies you, on here sayng what you said up there....

Sorry mate, you are not Toyota or Pol Pot.. you are Bob, a human on a forum... from what your reply said you actually justifying your own personal comments on a forum by saying "people get treated like dirt all over the world" and "its ok because big business treats humans like a product"

Lets just go the whole hog and start human trafficking hey????... kids for slaves??? I mean, by your justification we are all "products" and people get treated badly so whats the biggie....

DOUBLE shame Bob DOUBLE shame

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 26, 2009, 3:35 pm

the human being is as much a commodity as wheat, rice, oil, water. bought, sold, traded, and commissioned. a fee charged is common place in business, above or below the table. recruiting and placement fees for corporations, meeting sites. why should private individuals be exempt from a little profit making due to supply and demand. many internet shops depend mostly on revenues from dating sites and setting up profiles and translating for clients. some even have agreements with sin sot commissions if married and applicable.

whether agree or not, it's the reality of the world that we live in. i won't bother going into the debate of humans sacrificed for the bottom line. :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8)

goonersh
udonmap.com

Post by goonersh » July 26, 2009, 3:40 pm

laphanphon wrote:the human being is as much a commodity as wheat, rice, oil, water. bought, sold, traded, and commissioned. a fee charged is common place in business, above or below the table. recruiting and placement fees for corporations, meeting sites. why should private individuals be exempt from a little profit making due to supply and demand. many internet shops depend mostly on revenues from dating sites and setting up profiles and translating for clients. some even have agreements with sin sot commissions if married and applicable.

whether agree or not, it's the reality of the world that we live in. i won't bother going into the debate of humans sacrificed for the bottom line. :evil: :evil: :roll: :roll: :roll: 8)
Im not saying charging a fee is wrong, im saying a bloke on a forum should not be calling humans a "product" at all in the context it was used.... thats all ...its disgusting... like i said before... shall we sell some kids into slavery??? After all, humans are only products..

how much can we get for one...

:guiness:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 26, 2009, 3:56 pm

Gooner, we are rather playing with words here. The point remains the same.

What would you call it/her?

She is being advertised and marketed by her friend, with a view to obtaining a fee or commission (upon completion of the sale?). That amounts to her being a commodity or product, does it not.

Indeed if she is well presented and well marketed she may well sell more quickly, and command a higher price.

I'm not sure what to say about After- sales service, I'll leave that for someone else. :lol:

goonersh
udonmap.com

Post by goonersh » July 26, 2009, 3:59 pm

A PERSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » July 26, 2009, 3:59 pm

Bob, LA, I know what you mean. A dating site on the net will deal in the products, i.e. people and people relationships. Making your profit or commission from the successful outcome equates to the spotters fee that we are talking about in the OP. The misunderstanding here is that the organisation is not selling the person but rather dealing in the person/relationship. In other words, this business is service oriented.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 26, 2009, 4:12 pm

Dictionary definition of Product...
2. a person or thing produced by or resulting from a process, as a natural, social, or historical one; result

Note the piece in bold - an apology will probably be accepted.
End of story....

goonersh
udonmap.com

Post by goonersh » July 26, 2009, 4:38 pm

BobHelm wrote: Note the piece in bold - an apology will probably be accepted.
End of story....
not a chance

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » July 26, 2009, 4:44 pm

plien wrote:Now after reading this forum for a while I suspect the Spotters Fee might be quite common. For me its been a guarded secret and no thai have wanted to discuss the subject. Can you good brains out there put some light on this Spotters Fee phenomenon ?
Plien
This spotters fee thing is also carried out in China where people are paid to find spouses on behalf of concerned parents for busy professionals. Adverts are posted up in parks for all to see. Saw it on Paul Merton's programme about China (UK Channel 5).

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 26, 2009, 5:12 pm

My wifes sister in the village just called last night to ask my wife if her 25 yr.old daughter could come to NK with us and if she would help her ''find a falang''!

My wife actually was considering it #-o

I said,'' no way,do you know what you are doing?''

She said,''her husband has left her and her daughter in the village ,to go work somewhere else and now has a new GF and is not coming back to the village,she is only 25 and doesn't know what to do!''

I said ''we are not pimps,brokers,we don't really know her,nor do we know anybody well enough to recommend them!I hate the idea that falangs are looked at as commodities by the family,that is their attitude towards us,why would we bring that crap into our life,now?''

My suggestion was that she go to Bangkok,Su can give her an intro to a large resturant that she worked at for 3 1/2 years,they have rooms upstairs for the employees to live or she can live with her uncles family while looking for a job!If she wants to meet a falang,maybe she can study English,learn the computer and chat online,tell the truth and cross her fingers and her legs for awhile!If she is willing to do that we will send her 1000 baht per week for a few weeks as soon as she has a job,to help her get started!After that she is on her own!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 26, 2009, 6:04 pm

Another definition of product from:
http://www.knowthis.com/principles-of-m ... a-product/
What is a Product?

In marketing, the term “product” is often used as a catch-all word to identify solutions a marketer provides to its target market. We will follow this approach and permit the term “product” to cover offerings that fall into one of the following categories:

* Goods – Something is considered a good if it is a tangible item. That is, it is something that is felt, tasted, heard, smelled or seen
:razz:
People seem to fit into that definition too.

or from Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_%28business%29
In marketing, a product is anything that can be offered to a market that might satisfy a want or need
Whilst we may have our moral and ethical views on it, unfortunately in the context of the OP and this topic people are indeed the product.

...And Finders fees arguably a commission or fee on the sale.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » July 26, 2009, 6:22 pm

and....product
wikiwikiwoo wrote:"thing produced by labor or effort"
Many people ask friends etc when they are going to produce a child, or 'Ohh have they produced a new brother or sister for young Ashley yet'..?........produce/product and as it takes a certain amount of effort + labour to make/produce another human... same same really isn't it.

Infact i made the effort earlier on today.
Thanks bm.

and agree..finders fee for everything..TiT..even get charged by the pa-inlaw....always a small percent on top, but he thinks we don't know about it half of the time... :roll:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » July 26, 2009, 8:12 pm

I would think that a girl using a ''spotter''to help her meet falangs would be instructed to deceive and manipulate enough because the ''spotter'' has a vested interest in the relationship and will probably damage the potential relationship from the beginning! :roll:

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » July 26, 2009, 10:56 pm

Bob, thanks for your swift reply to my OP. Actually I found it a bit patronizing. An apology will probably be accepted. :lol: On the other hand, I will be arriving in Udon soon. So why dont we sort this thing out over a beer or two. On me of course. Ill let you know when convenient for me. Oh, and pls bring your product because I will bring mine. Maybe our respective products will strike up a nice productive conversation while we sort this out in a civilized manner. :drunk:
With due respect, Plien

Fawn
udonmap.com

Post by Fawn » July 26, 2009, 11:07 pm

Crikey, a poster with a sense of humour. :lol:

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » July 26, 2009, 11:09 pm

Also thank you laphanphon, Fawn, Stan, Arjay and BM for providing some adequate answers to the OP.
Plien

Return to “Open Forum”