Barrys Chilli

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Barrys Chilli

Post by fatbas***d » August 19, 2009, 7:11 am

As shown on good morning America, my best Mate Barry Obama has let everyone in on his families Chilli recipe, its good.

Obama Family Chili Recipe

1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
Several cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound ground turkey or beef
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground basil
1 tablespoon chili powder
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Several tomatoes, depending on size, chopped
1 can red kidney beans

Saute onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.

Add ground meat and brown.

Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.

Add red wine vinegar.

Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.

Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.

Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese,
onions and sour cream

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Re: Barrys Chilli

Post by banpaeng » August 19, 2009, 7:48 am

Beans in Chili, not in the south. That is get a rope time :lol: :lol:

The rest is kinda OK. the only other thing is the pepper. If it is not a Jalapeno then it is not real. :lol: :lol:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 19, 2009, 8:21 am

That reads just like about 10,000 other chili recipes I've seen, with a few variations on the spices, and add some peppers and hot sauce. Pretty basic.
banpaeng wrote:Beans in Chili, not in the south. That is get a rope time :lol: :lol:

The rest is kinda OK. the only other thing is the pepper. If it is not a Jalapeno then it is not real. :lol: :lol:
You rebs should stick to hog maws and grits. Chili without beans is not chili, it's just a spaghetti sauce. :D Do agree with you about the peppers though.

NOLA
udonmap.com

Post by NOLA » August 19, 2009, 8:30 am

Hey, I'm a Reb, but will you please tell me what hog maws are...And for you plain meat and potato Yanks, chili with beans sucks when put on a hot dog.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 19, 2009, 8:33 am

You never put chili on spaghetti. It is not even the same. :D :D

To me putting beans in chili is just beans with a sweet sauce. Kind of like above recipe. Chili is a southwest dish and does not include beans. Beans on the side is ok.

Grits and Maws, no way. Grits and shrimp is the best. :D :D

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 19, 2009, 8:52 am

Hog maws are the stomach lining of a pig. They are sometimes served with chitterlings (pig intestines). I'm from southern Missouri and have lived many years there and in Georgia, Florida and Texas. I have never seen hog maws served with grits. I've eaten hog jowls and grits and that is quite tasty (IMHO).

I believe that chili was a Texas invention; Tex-Mex food. The chili in Texas is typically served without beans. Chili in other parts of the country (and the world I reckon) can be just about anything people want it to be. Recipies for "chili" or "chili con carne" are endless and the ingredients can get pretty imaginative. It is sort of like pizza or barbecue. It all depends on where you come from and what you are used to.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » August 19, 2009, 9:09 am

Hog maws is a pigs stomach. It is considered a southern "soul food" even though it originated in Pennsylvania Dutch country. There it is stuffed with vegetables and boiled, much like the Scottish Haggis.

BP if you don't like chili on spaghetti, don't ever go to Cincinnati. They have a local "chili" which is usually served either on spaghetti or hot dogs. It is of Greek origin and contains chocolate and cinnamon! When I lived there for a time I used to outrage the locals when I called it "just a decent spaghetti sauce". They are very proud of their Cincinnati chili.

Arguing about beans in Chili is like arguing who makes the better pickup...Ford or Chevy.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 19, 2009, 12:29 pm

banpaeng wrote:You never put chili on spaghetti. It is not even the same. :D :D

To me putting beans in chili is just beans with a sweet sauce. Kind of like above recipe. Chili is a southwest dish and does not include beans. Beans on the side is ok.

Grits and Maws, no way. Grits and shrimp is the best. :D :D
How about over rice. It was on the menu at the USO in Okinawa, Japan. It was called Taco Rice, not bad stuff.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 19, 2009, 4:26 pm

You can put chili over anything. It is called the blending of flavors and it is the location in the world of the dish. The above is a bit tongue in cheek.

I is like how the blending of spices the world over has influenced the foods we eat and enjoy today.

In the last 30 plus years I have blended a lot of flavors of Thailand with the American type foods with some good results. I guess the one of the oddities is when making a hamburger. I like to take all the ingredients, cut them up and put over rice. Even use mayonnaise and mustard. Another is putting curry in meat loaf.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 19, 2009, 5:58 pm

banpaeng wrote:You can put chili over anything. It is called the blending of flavors and it is the location in the world of the dish. The above is a bit tongue in cheek.

I is like how the blending of spices the world over has influenced the foods we eat and enjoy today.

In the last 30 plus years I have blended a lot of flavors of Thailand with the American type foods with some good results. I guess the one of the oddities is when making a hamburger. I like to take all the ingredients, cut them up and put over rice. Even use mayonnaise and mustard. Another is putting curry in meat loaf.
Hmm :-k Som tom on a burger, instead of lettuce, tomato & onion :D

Return to “Open Forum”