Where have all the posters gone?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
virginprune
udonmap.com

Where have all the posters gone?

Post by virginprune » November 25, 2009, 10:07 pm

After reading LA's resignation post it got me to wondering where have many of the older posters gone ie beer monkey, fawn/westerby, jetdoc and aznyron amongst others....leaving a sinking ship springs to mind :shock:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Where have all the posters gone?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 25, 2009, 10:46 pm

They are all at the new site, udonmap.com

Some of us are members on both and post on both sites. Some have tried udonmap and found it wanting, and are exclusive posters here. Others are sticking to the new site and not posting here anymore.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 25, 2009, 10:47 pm

virginprune wrote:After reading LA's resignation post it got me to wondering where have many of the older posters gone ie beer monkey, fawn/westerby, jetdoc and aznyron amongst others....leaving a sinking ship springs to mind :shock:
I was thinking the same thing. As a regular reader (but infrequent poster) I enjoy the 'banter' between the old boys.

I've not been on-line much over last few months so wondered if I've missed something happening? Had also noticed several really offensive people have started to post. The combination of the two has IMOP, made the forum less appealing.

Any thoughts?

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » November 25, 2009, 11:03 pm

im only speaking for my self but dont like the new format. rather boring now. the good name it has worldwide will vanish. malc

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » November 26, 2009, 1:17 am

they decamped to other thai forums because of the too mut deleting of posts around here .
theowners of this forum can do as they wish ,they might even delete this soon

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » November 26, 2009, 7:26 am

It is sad that there has been a split where so many regular posters of udonmap, felt it necessary to start a seperate website. I read both forums myself, and as each has its own character and personality, you could say this has been no bad thing that's happpened. I think, there is certainly room for both websites, both with a forum, and udonmap with more info at present, through its many sponsors and adverts. :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 26, 2009, 8:34 am

PhilR wrote:It is sad that there has been a split where so many regular posters of udonmap, felt it necessary to start a seperate website. I read both forums myself, and as each has its own character and personality, you could say this has been no bad thing that's happpened. I think, there is certainly room for both websites, both with a forum, and udonmap with more info at present, through its many sponsors and adverts. :D
I certainly agree there is not only room but a need for both sites.I initially thought that I could contribute to both and tried by posting my more frivolous offerings over there and my more serious, hopefully, informative postings on UM .However I found after a while that I rather tired of , what I considered, too much banter. I actually used the term 'A bit lightweight for my taste" Which I thought was a fair honest opinion without in any way , being critical of the forum or its members, and stopped posting .I rather like the knock on effect it has had on Udon Map, which , again to my mind, has reverted back to the more friendly, informative forum it used to be .So everyone should be happy. Horses for courses springs to mind .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 26, 2009, 9:01 am

I concur with Val :D

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » November 26, 2009, 9:02 am

trubrit wrote:
PhilR wrote:It is sad that there has been a split where so many regular posters of udonmap, felt it necessary to start a seperate website. I read both forums myself, and as each has its own character and personality, you could say this has been no bad thing that's happpened. I think, there is certainly room for both websites, both with a forum, and udonmap with more info at present, through its many sponsors and adverts. :D
I certainly agree there is not only room but a need for both sites.I initially thought that I could contribute to both and tried by posting my more frivolous offerings over there and my more serious, hopefully, informative postings on UM .However I found after a while that I rather tired of , what I considered, too much banter. I actually used the term 'A bit lightweight for my taste" Which I thought was a fair honest opinion without in any way , being critical of the forum or its members, and stopped posting .I rather like the knock on effect it has had on Udon Map, which , again to my mind, has reverted back to the more friendly, informative forum it used to be .So everyone should be happy. Horses for courses springs to mind .
trubrit =D>

You could not have written my same thoughts better! after quite a bit of reading posts and studying the new forum I too have come to the conclusion that both sites now seem to cater for a different class of posters / readers. One for seriousness and good source of information and the other for banter and close to the mark conversation,

So yes, maybe there is room for both of them, I just hope some members do not take the rivalry too serious and can possibly enjoy both forums depending on their mood.............

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » November 26, 2009, 9:19 am

I just hope some members do not take the rivalry too serious and can possibly enjoy both forums depending on their mood.............
After visiting the other forum now, I concur with the above :D

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 26, 2009, 9:48 am

What I have noticed is that the people who had problems with UM are as nice a pie to each other on UT. It's as if they have taken on a new identity.
Maybe if they had adopted their new persona on UM they might not have had problems with the mods?

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » November 26, 2009, 12:40 pm

I also see the two sites as serving different purposes,and I use them as such! =D>

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » November 26, 2009, 2:19 pm

Didn't have to take an oath of allegiance to join either forum so I enjoy mostly reading both. Competition is good! :D

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 26, 2009, 6:08 pm

I think people get a little pissed when their thoughts and what they feel are helpful postings are deleted without prior notice or a polite PM. I don't blame certain parties for moving lock stock and B to UT.
Personally I agree there is room for both forums and I really don't see the problem with posting links on UM that take you to a post on UT or visa versa.
It realy is time the Mods on here got a grip on reality, whereas I agree with the removal of malicious or slanderous postings, where someone posts a bonefide informational link there should be no reason on this planet to delete it. If the Mods are going to do this then why not remove the links to other websites like Youtube?

Question to the Mods: Do you feel UT is a threat to UM?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 26, 2009, 6:38 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:
Question to the Mods: Do you feel UT is a threat to UM?
Well I am not a mod or have any desire to be so I cannot answer for them but I would like to ask you what sort of "Threat" do you envisage the mods and I guess by implication, Admin might feel ? The founders of UT said right at the beginning they are self sufficient and are not actively seeking sponsors. So it doesn't appear that there is any need to feel a financial threat . Membership? Well as I see from the stats The Map attracts more new members every week which far surpasses the total membership of UT . So not that .Content then? As the previous posts have indicated some posters prefer the organised , moderated style of UM whilst others prefer the undisciplined, minimal moderation of UT .
Some even like a bit of both .So I don't see any threat there .Which leads me to ask again . What sort of threat do you envisage the UM team may feel?

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 26, 2009, 6:44 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:Question to the Mods: Do you feel UT is a threat to UM?
If I thought UT or any other website for that matter was any threat to UM, I would have removed this topic already.

Personally I think UT is a good idea and I wish the organizers the best of luck in the future. ;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2009, 6:47 pm

Strange question Kudjap. I will try to answer your question as a moderator & as a poster.
As a moderator....
I am here to ensure that the rules of the forum are followed- no more, no less but that they are followed equitably by a member making his first post & equally by a member making his 10,000th. The rules of the Forum might not be agreed with - then that is something to take up with the owner of the rules by PM & not with those attempting to ensure that they are being followed on the open forum.
Thee are MANY examples of the absolute trash that has had to be deleted - we are not talking 'reduction in freedom of expression' here, we are talking about removing post that most would be embarrassed at reading in the cold light of day.
I am not paid by anyone for doing this, so I would think that the question as to if I feel "threatened" is really a 'non starter' as in what way could I??
Personally, as a poster.
I am extremely thankful that some UM posers have moved permanently to UT and that I will never have to read the garbage that they used to regularly post ever again. I am also disappointed that some have made this decision as their input will undoubtedly be missed. However, that is certainly their choice.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » November 26, 2009, 6:47 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote: Question to the Mods: Do you feel UT is a threat to UM?
If you read UT, you will see that BobHelm answered that question weeks ago.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 26, 2009, 7:06 pm

BobHelm wrote:I am extremely thankful that some UM posers have moved permanently to UT and that I will never have to read the garbage that they used to regularly post ever again.

Posers Bob? Was that really a typo? :lol:

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 26, 2009, 7:09 pm

Personally I don't 'envisage' (nice word by the way) any threat that's why I asked the question of the Mods. I did, if you'd bothered to read carefully, say I feel there's room for both UT and UM. I was merely wondering why the link to UT was deleted as there's no logical reason to and there's been no reason forthcoming from the powers that be. I can't see any reason why it should be removed, given it was information pertinant to the expat community and tourists who visit Udon, and again read my post carefully I didn't include admin because it was one of the Mods who deleted the link.

Here's my opinion, and it's only my opinion which I'm entitled to have, unless this gets edited of course, it was deleted because the Mod who did the deed has a personal beef with someone or some persons involved with UT, therefore any mention of the forum will be removed.................He/she/her/him has 'THE POWER' and will use it.

Moderators you are ruining this forum.

Return to “Open Forum”