What's the most watched event in TV history?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

What's the most watched event in TV history?

Post by LoveDaBlues » February 9, 2010, 8:16 am

According to CNN the recent Superbowl was the most watched event in TV History!!

GEAUX SAINTS!

BLESS YOU BOYS!

WHO DAT!

Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

biscuitz
udonmap.com

Re: What's the most watched event in TV history?

Post by biscuitz » February 9, 2010, 8:31 am

nah landing on the moon.... 1969, dont forget in them days its was b&w and not everyone hada tv so there was a crowd around watching each tele, unlike the super bowl were you mite geta m8 or 2 round wiva few beers, so prob yeh on teles but not by the amount of ppl actually watching the event

lighspur1
udonmap.com

Post by lighspur1 » February 9, 2010, 9:02 am

Yeah they announced on cnn that this years superbowl was the most watched with the final episode of MASH at # 2.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 9, 2010, 9:22 am

Be careful about what you read on things like this. It often means the most watched event in American TV history, and not the world.

One would think that the World Cup, the Olympics and others might be more watched than an event taking place in the U.S.A.

Think about all of those Chinese watching the Olympics, and all of those people around the world watching the World Cup. The Super Bowl does not attract that much attention in other parts of this planet.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 9, 2010, 9:36 am

It is very much an estimate Tilo, but it does beat the World Cup & the Olympics as well - according to all I have read.
The EPL is actually probably the actual most watched event in TV & that happens nearly every week - well 9 months of the year. The "legal" number watching it is 600 million households. By "legal" I mean those paying an annual subscription to do so. This is estimated at being equal to 1.2 million people. (2 per household seems a fair average to me) plus, in the UK, you have viewers watching it in bars, plus you have people (who do not want to pay) watching it on live video screening on PC, plus lucky individuals like me who can watch games for free via 'off shore' tv providers.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » February 9, 2010, 9:40 am

LoveDaBlues wrote:According to CNN the recent Superbowl was the most watched event in TV History!!
I think it's way short of the estimated 1 billion who tuned into the opening ceremony of the 2008 Olympic games.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 9, 2010, 9:56 am

I just googled most watched tv event in world history and it came up with the opening ceremonies for the Olympics in China. As Galee mentioned, the estimate is 1 billion viewers.

CNN probably is talking about most watched TV event in American history. Wiki lists the Super Bowl and MASH as the two most-watched events in American TV history. The U.S. tends to forget about the rest of the world when it talks about most this and most that.

Yes, the EPL is popular throughout the world on a regular basis.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » February 9, 2010, 9:58 am

Yes, it's possible the announcer said most watched in US TV history. I wasn't paying that close attention; first cup of coffee and all that.

Regardless, it was still one of the most watched events ever on TV. I'm glad the Saints won although I am a Peyton Manning fan. Attended my first Saints game in 1970 when Tom Dempsey kicked a still-record 63 yard field goal at the end of the game to beat the Detroit Lions 19-17.

After hurricane Katrina that region needs some good vibes!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » February 9, 2010, 5:52 pm

1. I doubt a US-specific sporting event can claim single most-watched status in the history of TV. The numbers don't suggest it. Who outside the US and maybe Canada watches American football?

2.Perhaps I am jaded after having spent months in Indonesia mopping up after the tsunami, but hurricane Katrina was, comparatively, child's play. When I listened to TV commentators, six months later, compare the two I was speechless. Katrina was a Cat 3 (of 5) storm and the loss of life was nearly 100% preventable.

thedude
udonmap.com

Re: What's the most watched (sporting) event in TV history?

Post by thedude » February 11, 2010, 8:13 am

Well these stats for most watched sporting event, from The Economist (& those schoolboys should know, right?):

This year's Super Bowl set a record for the largest ever American television audience, with 106.5m football fans tuning in to see the New Orleans Saints triumph over the Indianapolis Colts. Globally around 121m viewers are estimated to have watched the game, 15m more than the year before, according to Futures Sport + Entertainment, a media consultancy that tracks audience data in 55 countries.

In 2009, according to their data, only the Champions League football final in Europe attracted a larger audience. Other events (and sports) are much less popular, though some, such as Twenty20 cricket, probably draw far more viewers than indicated, partly because of the difficulty in getting accurate data from poorer countries.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » March 2, 2010, 4:26 am

I always thought Prince Charle's wedding to Diana or live Aid was the tops for world wide audiance figures,

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » March 2, 2010, 4:45 am

LoveDaBlues wrote:Attended my first Saints game in 1970 when Tom Dempsey kicked a still-record 63 yard field goal at the end of the game to beat the Detroit Lions 19-17.
You and about 1 million others claim to be there in that stadium holding less than 100,000. :lol:
Last edited by WBU ALUM on March 2, 2010, 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » March 2, 2010, 4:50 am

Texpat wrote:2.Perhaps I am jaded after having spent months in Indonesia mopping up after the tsunami, but hurricane Katrina was, comparatively, child's play. When I listened to TV commentators, six months later, compare the two I was speechless. Katrina was a Cat 3 (of 5) storm and the loss of life was nearly 100% preventable.
Correct.

Storm didn't even hit NOLA. Katrina hit the Mississippi Gulf Coast. After it passed NOLA, and the people realized that they had dodged a bullet again, they were out in the street and getting ready for just another day after a near miss.

Counterclockwise winds pushed Lake Pontchartrain water through the levies on the north side of NOLA. The flooding from broken levies is what hit NOLA, not Katrina. And yes, nearly all of the loss of life was preventable.

poolshark
udonmap.com

Post by poolshark » March 2, 2010, 5:52 am

here is a question for you all.
what annual sporting event has the most spectators watching it ? (not t.v.viewers)
have a few guesses and i will give you the answer later.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 2, 2010, 6:31 am

I'll bite with the following for an annual live sporting match:

1) Tennessee - Alabama football game

2) The Rose Bowl

3) India-Pakistan cricket game

4) The FA Cup in England

I hope the answer is not some ridiculous golf tournament.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » March 2, 2010, 6:50 am

poolshark wrote:here is a question for you all.
what annual sporting event has the most spectators watching it ? (not t.v.viewers)
have a few guesses and i will give you the answer later.
BCS Football National Championship could be one, and probably ahead of any other college football bowl game in the US. I would have to believe that a soccer stadium in Europe and/or Asia would hold more spectators.

But some American college football stadiums hold over 100,000 spectators and are sold out with SRO.

The more I think about it, the more I think it'll be between American college football and some form or soccer or rugby game.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 2, 2010, 8:23 am

The AFL/VFL (Oz Football League) grand final - usually held on the last Saturday of September at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) attracts an attendance of 90 -100,000 every year.

Prior to its remodelling in around 1990, GF attendances were regularly well over 100,000 during the 50s - 80s.

A little known fact is that the MCG also largest ever attendance (114,000) at a baseball game (up until 2008), when an exhibition game between a US forces team and Australia was held during the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » March 2, 2010, 1:37 pm

Indy 500. The track is 2.5 miles with spectators all around. Wiki sez: permanent seating capacity for more than 257,000 people and infield seating that raises capacity further to an approximate 400,000,

poolshark
udonmap.com

Post by poolshark » March 6, 2010, 7:00 am

hello again.
sorry to say you are all wrong.
with 15 million spectators and 4 million viewers each day for three weeks watching it live..
the tour de france is the most watched sporting event each year.
it covers approx 3,500 km's of road ways with spectators lining the route.
just a bit of trivia for you all.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » March 6, 2010, 9:55 pm

A three week event ... ???

Estimated daily attendance is far below a Texas High School football game ~ 55,000.

Return to “Open Forum”