Help please

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
TicToc
udonmap.com

Help please

Post by TicToc » July 19, 2010, 4:24 pm

I have been in Thailand a few years now and at present am living in the 'sticks' as we say. I purchased the property as i wanted somewhere quiet and peaceful to live and to do 'my own thing'
Recently a Thai has purchased some land closeby and started a business,good for him.
However at a couple of times during the day he starts playing his music and turns it on full power.which is really starting to piss me off. My TW has asked him to turn it down which he does but the next day we go back to full power again.
In England this would not be a problem,we would sort it one way or another, but as i am a guest of this country and i would like to sort this out amicably if possible i wondered if their was a correct procedure.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Help please

Post by BobHelm » July 19, 2010, 6:55 pm

I think 'Nothing you can do' is the response you will get TicToc.
There does not appear to be any 'nuisance' laws in Thailand that can be applied to be enforced.
Sadly there are few ways it can be resolved.
Move - not very practical if the wife owns the house you are in. :(
Appeal to better nature of offender - that would appear to be working for you, the problem is that the neighbour has the memory of a goldfish. Sadly repeated requests to him may get a more belligerent attitude back. :(
You could take the issue to the village 'head man'. In theory he is there to resolve these sort of disputes (or stop them escalating). That will be a bit 'luck of the draw'. Some may well take it seriously & make serious efforts to resolve, but it can only be resolved with your neighbours' full agreement & co-operation. (He may get mad at you taking him to the head man to start with). Others may well just see the issue as being one of an over sensitive Farang and make token efforts only.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » July 19, 2010, 7:44 pm

If all else fails,see if you can buy your quiet space.Ask him what it would take?It sucks,but it might be your only out,unless the wife has a bigger family in the area than him!Or you could also see what the police might accept to make your problem go away.The only problem with that one is that they may continue to escalate the costs or they may ask for more and more favors that might get tiring after awhile!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 19, 2010, 8:28 pm

nkstan wrote:If all else fails,see if you can buy your quiet space.Ask him what it would take?It sucks,but it might be your only out,unless the wife has a bigger family in the area than him!Or you could also see what the police might accept to make your problem go away.The only problem with that one is that they may continue to escalate the costs or they may ask for more and more favors that might get tiring after awhile!
Oooooooooohhhhhhhh !! Stanley,I'm surprised at your suggestion,What makes you think the BIB Do favours for monetary gain...... :oops: :oops: :oops:

poolshark
udonmap.com

Post by poolshark » July 20, 2010, 5:01 am

this one is really simple to sort out.
buy yourself a bigger sound system,
play motorhead and ac/dc on repeat shuffle mode all day( when your out of the house),
and maybe your neighbour will get the hint.

Failing this, I can send you THE NOLANS GREATEST HITS, which would certainly do the trick.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » July 20, 2010, 8:36 am

I would agree with Bob Helm, go to the village Head Man, sorting out local problems is one of the reasons he's appointed. We had a problem with a neighbour mucking out his cow shed and leaving the sh*te on the roadside opposite our house, in the afternoon the smell was so bad we couldn't sit outside. We spoke with him on numerous occasions but he ignored us. After the Head Man intervened he now puts the said excrement into sacks and sells it to the local garden centres. Win win.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 20, 2010, 9:18 am

BobHelm wrote: You could take the issue to the village 'head man'.
:lol: :lol: :lol: The bloody Puya Baan's are the worst offenders with their crap music and loud messages, mail call etc. at 06:00 ](*,)

markdamaroyd
udonmap.com

Post by markdamaroyd » July 20, 2010, 9:54 am

poolshark wrote:this one is really simple to sort out.
play motorhead and ac/dc on repeat shuffle mode all day( when your out of the house),

Failing this, I can send you THE NOLANS GREATEST HITS, which would certainly do the trick.
Ha, ha! I like it. Maybe Englebert Humperdink too? But seriously, as most have already said, kinda need to live with it. Things like the headman's daily choice of distorted music blaring round the village speaker system tend to not be noticed with the passing of time.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » July 20, 2010, 12:40 pm

Thanks to all for your advice and comments.
I did go and see the Puya Baan and he said he would have a word,which indeed he has done,so we will see.
However i went to see a teacher first who is married to an American and asked her advice and she also said to see Puya Baan first,now here is the interesting bit,i asked what would happen if i smacked him one(just out of interest) she said if i hit him whilst on his property i would go to the monkey house,but if i hit him in the street or on my property,NO PROBLEM, so be warned.
I thought the comment about playing the Nolan Sisters Greatest Hits was just realy realy bad and just downright dirty!
Thanks again.

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » July 20, 2010, 2:35 pm

Try non stop Slim Whitman or the Everly Brothers! :roll:

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 20, 2010, 3:12 pm

TicToc wrote:i asked what would happen if i smacked him one(just out of interest) she said if i hit him whilst on his property i would go to the monkey house,but if i hit him in the street or on my property,NO PROBLEM, so be warned.
Tic Toc, I think your comments above were made tongue-in-cheek, however just in case they weren't, I would suggest if you did either of those things you would quickly alienate yourself from your neighbours and the local people, and find yourself "the villain of the piece". I would suggest you try and keep to the moral high ground as much as possible and don't go down that particular road! ;) Also, you might well find that he has a lot more "friends" than you, who could make your life even more difficult.

I would certainly try and play things down as much as possible, keep things low key and friendly as much as possible. We are the foreigners here! :oops:

You could invite him round for a beer!! ;) :-k

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 20, 2010, 6:18 pm

One of the greatest things about Thailand is the freedom you enjoy, bad part everyone else has it to :lol:

Kevro
udonmap.com

Post by Kevro » July 20, 2010, 8:13 pm

poolshark wrote:this one is really simple to sort out.

Hey if you are playing AC/DC give me a PM and I will be there.

Kevro

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 20, 2010, 8:18 pm

Why all the Heavy Rock Stuff.......Play some Val Doonican,The Batchelors, or Millican & Nesbitt,Then that will send your neighbour to sleep,Then he wont make a nuisance of himself...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 20, 2010, 9:14 pm

And if you really want to send him around the bend, alternate some Paul Potts and Susan Boyle.

That would be enough to send me scurrying off to Pyongyang or Mogadishu for a couple of years. :D

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 20, 2010, 10:36 pm

arjay wrote:
TicToc wrote:i asked what would happen if i smacked him one(just out of interest) she said if i hit him whilst on his property i would go to the monkey house,but if i hit him in the street or on my property,NO PROBLEM, so be warned.
Tic Toc, I think your comments above were made tongue-in-cheek, however just in case they weren't, I would suggest if you did either of those things you would quickly alienate yourself from your neighbours and the local people, and find yourself "the villain of the piece". I would suggest you try and keep to the moral high ground as much as possible and don't go down that particular road! ;) Also, you might well find that he has a lot more "friends" than you, who could make your life even more difficult.
OT decked the next door neighbour with a fantastic right hander after he ripped of my rainwater downpipe because the water ended up on his property after running down the road. Afterwards I realised that the whole of the local community could now be on my case, however it didn't turn out like that, in fact that very evening I was driving with my wife to the market on the motorbike which passes the volleyball field where everyone hangs out in the early evening and as I passed I got a round of applause. The community also thought my neighbour deserved it. True Story.

OT.......... \:D/

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 21, 2010, 10:02 am

That just goes to show how much we really don't understand about our home. There is one part I'm missing, is he playing music in the day time or in the wee hours. Me daytime I would cut him a bit of slack. We in first homes from time to time get the parties music around the area. The other side of the coin we had no problems when we had our wedding party.

We have had one renter that was warned, he since has moved. But his was a 24 hour a day thing. This being a working community everyone was ticked off at him.

Give and take is really the best if you can work with it.

Destroying your property that is a completely different ball game. Thai's don't tolerate that either.

wynnsiensheng
udonmap.com

Post by wynnsiensheng » July 21, 2010, 6:30 pm

Huh. You think you've got problems. The guy that owns the scrub piece of land near my property built a small shack and started to keep four pigs. F*ck me do they smell. The PYB was the obvious guy to sort it out, but the father of guy with the pigs is the ex PYB and now Or Bor Tor, so out ranks the current PYB and that means he won't do anything. The TW is pretty shocked as she says even Thais don't keep pigs in villages.

Discussions with the pig guy don't get very far. Oh and also, he doesn't like neighbours dogs going near his pigs. To prove it he caught and killed one recently, then cut off it's head and stuck it on a stake outside the shack and beside the road, together with a notice saying "keep your dogs away" or something to that effect. Luckily, I don't have any dogs. Doubly luckily, I have another house in an area far away....and that's where I'm staying untill this pig guys has his ba*ls cut off....or similar.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 21, 2010, 8:09 pm

What is the current price of Pigout?

http://www.animalcontrol.com.au/pig-baits2.htm

wynnsiensheng
udonmap.com

Post by wynnsiensheng » July 21, 2010, 8:30 pm

Oh sure, I'm going to sneak into this guys pig sty and poison his pigs. Jesus, it would be MY head on a stick next.

Thanks Jack, but no thanks this time.

Return to “Open Forum”