ubc out??

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
parrot
udonmap.com

ubc out??

Post by parrot » September 2, 2010, 7:09 pm

Our ubc link dropped out suddenly....usually an indication that rain is rapidly approaching. But alas the skies are clear. I reset our card, power supply, but no change. Signal strength is a dismal 166....it's supposed to be 255. The antenna looks to be pointing in the right direction. Is anyone else having the same problem?

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Re: ubc out??

Post by lepidoptra » September 2, 2010, 7:17 pm

The problem with True visions is the size of the dish. An 80cm dish would solve many of the problems. This would of course add to the cost. Whenever we have a low pressure and it rains or in England snows the drop off in signal can be quite dramatic. It maybe however that the dish is not properly aligned and considering it has to travel 23km to reach the satellite this will effect the signal. I suggest you phone True and ask them to check the alignment.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 2, 2010, 7:19 pm

Call them. Sounds like your dish has moved, slightly. When I had them years ago now, same thing happened to me, their friendly service people fixed it the next day. Can't say the same for their billing people in BKK, and is why I no longer have their service.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 2, 2010, 7:54 pm

We live southwest of Udon and our True reception is fine tonight with signal strength at 255. Does sound like your dish needs realignment.

Most of their service people are good but......we were receiving the HBO channels 155-157 distorted with clipped audio. All other channels were fine. The kid they sent out here tried to sell me with the idea that we might have rats in the attic chewing on the cable and might need to replace the cable so I sent him on his way and called True a day or two later. Requested that they send me a different technician and they sent a guy who has followed us on each of our 4 other moves around the Udon area in the past 4 years. The latest tech realigned our dish and replaced our box with a new, upgraded one. All copacetic since then except for brief signal losses, of course, when weather deteriorates.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 2, 2010, 8:20 pm

copacetic :shock:

Bloody hell ph - I have at times been unfairly accused of sesquipedalian loquaciousness, but the above takes the cake. :D

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 2, 2010, 8:28 pm

Everything is copacetic again......signal went out for 20 minutes or so......back to 255. First time that sort of thing has happened without rain being the culprit. c o p a c e t i c.......At some point in my life that word was part of my daily vocabulary. Must have been one of those generational things.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 2, 2010, 10:10 pm

Maybe your dish has moved, or your gutter, or you've had new guttering installed or a tall tree. If not, ring UBC. ;)

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 2, 2010, 11:25 pm

jackspratt wrote:copacetic :shock:

Bloody hell ph - I have at times been unfairly accused of sesquipedalian loquaciousness, but the above takes the cake. :D
Coming from you, I'll consider that a compliment, Jack. :lol:

sesquipedalian? - 1. having many syllables 2. using long words
This one is a keeper.
:D

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » September 3, 2010, 12:28 am

they cant even get their monthly mag out on time still waiting and its the 3rd tomorrow.they only have 4 weeks to get them ready.they must work on thai time delivery.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » September 3, 2010, 2:08 am

A few months ago someone in our village raised holy hell with the post office.
For three months running we've received the mag before the first of the month and our monthly bill before the due date.
Sadly, the person who designed the magazine is the same person who designed the numbers on my cellphone keypad. I need an electron-scanning microscope to see either.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 3, 2010, 5:23 am

Despite laughing at the enormity of some of the words used, I can tell you it ain't the dish, it's TRUE possibly they had a minor stoppage mfrom their end, but for 30 mins yesterday about 1830 hrs we had a failure of some 20 odd ins, signal strength was a lowly 196, then all of a sudden there it was back, no problem.

In attempting to ring TRUE a task that requires the patience of JOB, with no satisfactory conclusion after it came back I stopped ringing. .
It ain't the sateliite, it ain't the dish, so therefore it must be TRUE in Bangkok, but I have noticed of late that on occasions their transmission seems to be disrupted for no good reason .
OH well this is Thailand with all its faults and this is one of them. Modern appliances being used by ninnys.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » September 3, 2010, 8:29 am

parrot wrote:Everything is copacetic again......signal went out for 20 minutes or so......back to 255. First time that sort of thing has happened without rain being the culprit. c o p a c e t i c.......At some point in my life that word was part of my daily vocabulary. Must have been one of those generational things.

Not sure where you live parrot but we're outside of Kutchap and our signal went down at the same time as yours for the same amount of time.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » September 3, 2010, 2:52 pm

MALC wrote:they cant even get their monthly mag out on time still waiting and its the 3rd tomorrow.they only have 4 weeks to get them ready.they must work on thai time delivery.
Malc
I don't think it's True's fault you're not receiving your magazine. It's down to the the postman who delivers when he feels like it. He has delivered the Magazine 6 weeks after it ran out. Other post seems to disappear.
Went to the post office and unbelievably they gave us the home address of the postman. Went there, he wasn't. Front door open. Looked inside house full to the brim with undelivered post. Phoned post office they weren't too bothered and apparently just changed his round.
If this had happened in the UK he would be opening his post from behind bars,however this is Thailand [-X

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » September 3, 2010, 3:56 pm

lepidoptra wrote:
MALC wrote: Went to the post office and unbelievably they gave us the home address of the postman. Went there, he wasn't. Front door open. Looked inside house full to the brim with undelivered post. Phoned post office they weren't too bothered and apparently just changed his round.
If this had happened in the UK he would be opening his post from behind bars,however this is Thailand [-X
We were also instructed to visit the postman when several pieces were missing. Same story. House full of undelivered mail. How the hell can a university-educated postmaster in a town of 20,000+ people instruct customers to visit an individual postman at his house to resolve claims of missing mail? What is all that mail doing on the floor of the postman's living room?

Shocking.
Amazing Thailand.

It's surprising the changes that have been made since our (somewhat influential) neighbor went ballistic in the post office one Thursday morning. :D I would have paid to witness that exchange.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » September 3, 2010, 4:36 pm

i went to the main office yesterday for the new monthly mag. they said running late from bangkok.nt come yet.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » September 3, 2010, 4:42 pm

MALC wrote:i went to the main office yesterday for the new monthly mag. they said running late from bangkok.nt come yet.
well they would say that wouldn't they? :^o

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 3, 2010, 5:05 pm

I think the "main office" (ie Udon PO) may be a large part of the problem.

A few months ago, a guy I let use my PO box number in Ban Dung was expecting an urgent (ie express), registered letter from Oz.

It turned up 14 days after it was posted in a city post office (Adelaide). Because it was registered, it was stamped in and out of each post office it went through.

The stamps revealed it took 2 days to get from Adelaide to Bangkok to Udon. There it sat for 10 days, and finally another 2 days to hit my post box. And this wasn't during one of the extended holiday periods.

I subscribe to a weekly magazine, which is printed in, and distributed from, Bangkok. It is not at all unusual to get 2 editions together in the post box, with the record being 3. :shock:

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » September 6, 2010, 10:06 am

it is normal you lose signal when heavy rain , with these to small original 60cm ( i think) dish from true, changing it to a bigger 80cm or 90cm will help but still can have problems with heavy weather, as for the price , 60cm -75-80-90, between 650- 1.100 bath ( without lnb) , or even 120cm for arround 2.000 bath....not expensive at all.....,

Return to “Open Forum”