Customer Service

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
arjay
udonmap.com

Customer Service

Post by arjay » November 16, 2010, 9:59 am

What is it about Thailand, that so many business just don't seem to grasp or follow through with Customer service? They seem so short-sighted, seeking only to make a sale, - whether the item or product is even suited to the customer or not. Once the sale (any sale) has been achieved their interest seems to vapourise (note correct spelling).

They don't seem to understand "After Sales service". Some examples:

1. I went into a Dept store looking for a pair of black shoes and was repeatedly shown brown sandals. When I pointed to what I wanted on an adjoining manufacturer's stand, - the sales staff slagged off the opposition.

2. They will tell you that a yellow shirt suits you, when clearly it doesn't. I've had them tell me that trousers that were clearly too small and too tight looked good and when I questioned/challenged them pointing out how small and tight they were, the sales staff said it was the "fashion" or style, when quite clearly they looked ridiculous!

3. I've taken defective products back, no interest in resolving.

4. I had a problem with a camera battery not recharging, - went back to the shop I bought it from, asking if they had a replacement battery charger or battery, - "Oh, no have". No interest in resolving. In fact I resolved that at a shop in Bangkok from where I hadn't bought the camera, but whom tested both the recharger and the battery for me. Why couldn't the shop I bought it from have done that?

5. We had a 2 year contract with a well known Udon pest control company, which was supposed to include quarterly visits. Over the 2 year period, they they never rang in advance, despite repeated requests to do. So we never knew when they were coming. They arrived a couple of times just as we were going out. They missed several quarterly visits. They never sent any sort of renewal notice, nor made any contact whatsoever to encourage renewal of the contract, - not that I would have done.

6. Insurance companies here often don't seem bothered to send renewal letters/notifications/invitations, thus losing out on repeat business. It's usually more difficult, involves more administration and cost to find and write up new customers than retain the ones you have. :roll:

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Customer Service

Post by parrot » November 16, 2010, 10:32 am

If you're looking for customer service, look no further than San Antonio, TX. This week I bought a gardening tool that was marked on the shelf for $10, but the cashier rang up $16. When I mentioned the discrepancy, she didn't need to call the manager or the board of directors.......she voided the initial sale and rang up $10 without further question.
Our daughter presented a coupon at a clothes store for $10 off....the cashier pointed out that the coupon had expired. Without further prompting from our daughter, the cashier offered the coupon that the previous customer had used.....$15 off....to our daughter and rang up the sale.
Our daughter recently returned a 6 month old portable vacuum to COSTCO because 'it wasn't operating properly'. No board of directors meeting, no stockholders gathered to discuss the problem, the cashier made an executive decision and credited our daughter's account for a replacement.
Sorry, Arjay, if your in Thailand looking for customer service, you're in the wrong country. I'll lap up as much of this good customer service as I can while we're here (in TX) visiting.......it's a whole different world in Thailand.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 16, 2010, 10:40 am

I think the cause of some of the problem in the larger stores was explained by trubrit a while back.
If he will forgive me paraphrasing him (& correct me if I am mistaken) I think it went like this.
Many of the sales staff in the larger shops are not, in fact, employed by the Store but are employed by a specific manufacturer. As such their personal success or failure is not measured by how well the Store is doing, but how well a particular manufacturer is doing.
I can see the attraction to doing this to both the Store & Manufacturer but feel that both are actually causing a great many more issues than they solve.
Labour is not exactly expensive in Thailand & I think that the small saving that the Store makes on that front is heavily outweighed by other factors. If the manufacturer was not supplying the labour then the Store should be able to negotiate a reduction in prices & employ its' own staff. These staff would be fully committed to the aims of their employer, the Store, or soon find themselves looking for a new job. A few training sessions showing the staff how to "listen" to customer requirements & so identify the correct product & make a quick sale, before going onto the next, would, I think help tremendously.
With a set up as outlined by trubrit it is easy to see why the return of faulty goods falls into a black hole as well.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 16, 2010, 11:00 am

When I worked for a very respectable financial organisation in the UK, I was always taught never to "slag off" the opposition, their products, service (or staff). It shows a lack of professionalism, and reflects adversely on the organisation doing the "slagging off". Instead we were taught to focus on the quality of our own products and service, our professionalism and our commitment to go that extra step if something special was needed.

In fact we would liken ourselves to Marks & Spencer, pointing out that whilst our products may not always be the cheapest, their quality was consistently amongst the best.

I often used to chat with inspectors from major insurance companies, who were similarly taught. To slag off the opposition merely shows a lack of professionalism and the shortcomings of those doing the slagging. ;)

That principle must similarly apply much closer to home over here ;) :-k

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » November 16, 2010, 12:05 pm

One of the reasons Walmart has been so successful is, if you had bought something that was defective, they would take it. Even if you bought it from someplace else. In that case, they wouldn't give money back but, would give store credit.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 16, 2010, 12:52 pm

Agree with Bob on this.

Nothing worse than looking at new fridges etc and comparing brands only to have the salesperson being switched as you walk around.

I generally go to the big Nano Square for all whitegoods etc and ask for their senior sales guy / manager, who speaks fluent english and he does the walking around with me and then translates between agents / salespersons.

Once comment recently from the salesperson, was "why do farang always check with other shops and stores, dont they trust us " ( i had a spreadsheet with me to compare prices )

His reply was Farang have time to shop for the best price in town, and dont acccept that 1 large shop will always offer the best price.

His reply was met with a vacant stare

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 16, 2010, 1:37 pm

In terms of shopping around, with me it's not so much that I don't trust them or am trying to save a couple of baht extra, it's very much more a case of me trying to find the best product and spec to suit my requirements and indeed finding out what is currently available nowadays.

Often they will have promotions on products/models which upon checking I find are old models which have since been replaced with a superior model and spec. Also, I check around and compare things as part of my own self -education on the subject and to see what is currently available.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » November 16, 2010, 11:00 pm

Thailand could be better but A chain store in the us isn't much better .There have been several complaints about BEST BUY,they aren't very good at costemer relations either.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 17, 2010, 5:49 am

"but A chain store in the us isn't much better"
We're on vacation in TX visiting our daughter. Wife and daughter shop, I browse separately for blood pressure purposes. Among the stores I've been: Lowes, Home Depot, Marshall's, Bealls, Target, WalMart, Costco, HEB Supermarket, along with loads of restaurants, oriental food stores and small oriental restaurants. Having lived in Udon for 14 years, I'd guess Pizza Company and Swenson's and maybe some of the salesgirls upstairs in Robinsons might compare favorably. Bottom line, IMO, Thailand is waaaay behind the power curve when it comes to customer service.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 17, 2010, 7:45 am

The lawnmower incident in Homepro earlier this year was funny.
I wanted a Black and Decker, the salesman said it's Chinese rubbish. Black and Decker mowers are made in Swindon UK.
They will only sell the goods with the highest commision, not the good stuff that flies off the shelves.

Had exactly the thing happened when I bought two Panasonic shower heaters, last year. Was told "no good" and offered two that looked as if they were knocked up in a garden shed.

Customer Service here is light years away from the West.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » November 17, 2010, 10:42 am

UK's Argos is an example of good customer service. Return any goods you're not happy with within 30 days to get a replacement or full refund.

I can only think of one time I received good customer service here in Thailand. I sent a faulty Canon camera to Bangkok for repair, the warranty had expired so I was expecting a bill. 2 weeks later the camera was returned and no charge was added. :D

Return to “Open Forum”