Death of a US Citizen

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Death of a US Citizen

Post by semperfiguy » March 25, 2011, 5:33 pm

I am in the process of getting my final affairs in order and I want to leave very specific instructions to my Thai wife in the event of my death (hope it's a long way off). The US Embassy website is very vague as to the process of reporting the death, issuing a death certificate, dealing with the body, etc. Have any of my fellow forumites had any experience in dealing with the US Embassy after a death, and what advice can you give me that might be more case specific. I have prepared a Will for my estate in the Kingdom of Thailand as well as a Will for my estate in the US. I wish to have my body cremated according to the traditions of Thai culture and as per the instructions of my wife. It is my understanding that at the time of my death my wife should call for transport to a local hospital where I would be pronounced dead and a Thai death certificate (DC) would then be prepared. If I die in a local hospital then the doctor could issue the DC from that venue. My wife would then execute the required Affidavit of Next-Of-Kin and a Letter of Instruction outlining the circumstances of my death (if not under questionable circumstances), then those docs would be sent to the US Embassy together with the Thai DC. In the meantime my remains could be cremated, and in due time the Embassy would issue and send to my wife a "Report of Death of American Citizen Abroad" which is similar to a DC and can be used to settle my estate, including insurance claims, back in the US. She would also be provided with the Thai DC together with an English translation at our expense.

I would appreciate hearing back from anyone who can confirm, correct or add to the above process, preferrably from the vantage point of having personally been involved in dealing with such matters.

Thanking you in advance for your generous comments, I am a grateful semperfiguy!

Jello
udonmap.com

Re: Death of a US Citizen

Post by Jello » March 25, 2011, 6:12 pm

Hi Semperfiguy,
Sorry, no first hand experience but a suggestion. Are you a military retiree? (just guessing from your screen name)
If you are, you can contact the RAO in Bangkok http://www.jusmagthai.com/rao.html and they can help with all your questions. If not, contact the VFW chapter here in Udon. There's a link on the udonmap homepage that should have some contact numbers.

Come to think of it, I should probably getting my affairs in order myself!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 25, 2011, 8:02 pm

I can't comment on the passing of a US citizen in Thailand BUT I'll put my hat on as the local undertaker here in Ban Dung (BTW the Thai's call me the "Farang Puyai Baan" because whenever anything needs attention I get the phone call) I have dealt with the passing of both UK and Aussie expats.

You cannot rely on the Thai's to do anything other than get the wake underway.

Firstly I establish a point of DIRECT contact with the deceased's Embassy and report the death citing full name, passport number and as much information I can gather relating to circumstances of death. In both cases I was given the private mobile number of a senior consular official and offered 24 hour contact. I then make contact the close relatives at their home and make preliminary plans for the disposal of the body according to their wishes and any known wishes of the deceased. I strongly recommend a local Thai cremation and the ashes split "ha sip ha sip" between the parties. I make sure the body is correctly stored until the cremation and the Thai family do not do anything other than their normal Budhist rights until I have received permission from the Embassy and family for the cremation.

I have found that both the UK and Aussie officials bend over backwards to assist the Thais, the family relations and myself with the whole process. So long as there are no suspicious circumstances the whole process is easy.

Locally produced death certificates are processed easily by any interested authority/insurance company after certified translation and I have seen no problem in that respect.

I personally have 2 wills, one covering my Aust assets and family and the other related to Thailand. They are clearly X referenced and I have an executor in both countries knowing exactly what my wishes are. EASY

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 25, 2011, 8:17 pm

Jello wrote:Hi Semperfiguy,
Sorry, no first hand experience but a suggestion. Are you a military retiree? (just guessing from your screen name)
If you are, you can contact the RAO in Bangkok http://www.jusmagthai.com/rao.html and they can help with all your questions. If not, contact the VFW chapter here in Udon. There's a link on the udonmap homepage that should have some contact numbers.

Come to think of it, I should probably getting my affairs in order myself!
SF,

You could try the contacting Citizens Services, they're usually quick to respond:

[email protected]

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/de ... tizen.html (Death Of a US Citizen)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 25, 2011, 8:21 pm

BTW, about 4 years ago we established a 'Farang Register' at Eddies Bar where anyone who wanted to could fill out a form detailing things like Next of Kin, home land contacts, burial wishes, preferred hospitalization etc. etc.

Makes things easier for we whom are left with to clean up the mess .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 25, 2011, 8:59 pm

I'd suggest the following be kept in a single file folder that your wife will have ready access to:
-complete listing of all bank accounts, insurance policies, etc.
-passport
-wills
-certified copy of your dd214
-copy of any VA disability notices (if applicable)
-listing of any family members/phone numbers/email addresses that you want contacted
- it wouldn't hurt to have a short bio ready as it's standard fare to read something of the sort at Thai funerals.
- it'd be to your benefit if you had a friend who you could trust with contacting the embassy/family/VA/DFAS etc.
- Give some thought to the possibility of both you and your wife dying at the same time. You mentioned in another post about having some funds in the stock market. Ask yourself the question: Who in Thailand is going to be able to settle your affairs? If you're depending on someone in the US to do it for you, that person will need to have access to all your documents as well as the death certificate.
- ACS/Embassy really doesn't do much.....they'll certify the death certificate....but beyond that, it's pretty much up to your surviving spouse/family to settle your affairs.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Post by WhoUrDaddy » March 25, 2011, 9:50 pm

It would seem to me that you have already thought of everything, wills in both countries, the executors will handle that per your instructions. Embassy notified, DC, BBQ, done, just pick some music. RIP, hopefully many years from now and just sleep the night away due to old age.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » March 26, 2011, 12:07 pm

If you are a United State Armed Service Veteran(Navy, Marine, Air Force, Retiree,etc) The Folks at the local Veteran of Foreign Wars(VFW Post 10249) might been able to assist surviving family members, providing they have all the proper documents, Will, DD214, Passport, Marriage License, etc, I suggest you check out their website.(email:[email protected]) or Google them UP.

treehugger
udonmap.com

Post by treehugger » March 26, 2011, 2:53 pm

Thanks dero, very useful summary :D

maikauzai
udonmap.com

Post by maikauzai » March 26, 2011, 4:24 pm

I'd also like to know:

- Dealing with IRA brokerage accounts
- Social security payments to surviving spouse and young children

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 26, 2011, 4:55 pm

maikauzai wrote:I'd also like to know:

I have online access to my IRA Account. I was required to contact them by phone in order to designate a beneficiary for my account in the event of my death. They emailed me the necessary forms, I printed them out and signed them, scanned them then emailed them back to the company. My beneficiary now shows up online under my account details. That beneficiary is the same person as the Executor of my US Will. Of course, make sure that person is someone you trust with your very life. In my case that person will be responsible for turning all of my US assets into cash upon my demise and sending the cash to my wife in Thailand in accordance with instructions in my Will. It would be next to impossible for her to accomplish this on her own.

So far as the SS payments to the surviving spouse and young child, you can go directly to the official site of the SSA and gather all of those details with ease. If she is not already a US citizen, then she will have to have lived in the US with you for a minimum of 5 years in order to qualify for your benefits after she reaches the age of 60 and assuming she doesn't remarry after your death. She will only receive benefits from your account until such time as she remarries or dies. I'm not sure about the children, and I'm fairly certain of the accuracy of my prior statements in this paragraph. But...be safe and consult with the SS website.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 26, 2011, 6:56 pm

maikauzai wrote:I'd also like to know:

From the Pattaya VFW website:
There is no Social Security Office in Thailand. The U.S. Embasy in Bangkok does have a person who provides limited assistance in Social Security issues. Your Service Officer at a local VFW Post can provide assistance on your behalf. The following topic provides answers to an important topic of interest to Veterans married to Thai Wives:
Continued... http://www.vfwpost9876.org/FAQVFW/social.htm

Good source of information (click on FAQ VFW): http://www.vfwpost9876.org/

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 26, 2011, 9:01 pm

Semper
The USEMB has establish a cadre of support personnel throughout Thailand called "Embassy Wardens". The wardens are supposed to assist the embassy and your family with the necessary procedures to report your death to the appropriate offices/agencies. They are supposed to assist the family in obtaining the Thai death certificate and english translation as well and are supposed to liasion with the local police who will have a mountain of paperwork to do. I have assisted two families in this way when the husband passed away. These cases can become very complicated depending on just how much preparation you have made ahead of time, and how much information the person has passed along to his wife. Simple things like relatives email addresses/phone numbers, computer passwords and user names, bank account information. ATM cards locations & passwords etc etc. Life insurance information policy numbers, company address and any specific contact information are all very helpful. FYI: I along with a number of other individuals here in the Udon area are Embassy Wardens.
I hope this helps.

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » March 26, 2011, 9:45 pm

Hello Fdimike.

Computer passwords and user names?

Bank account information and ATM cards locations & passwords?

Life insurance information?

I will never give this information to a person that claim to be parth off the Embassy Wardens Service on a website. Not even to my wife or G/F (Don't have). But straight and in person to the U.S.A Embassy office in Bangkok. Not to upset you :D

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/no ... vices.html

And in case other nationaly's need this service. This service is not only rended by the American Embassy. Most of the other Embassy's give the same service to there cityzen.

Frans.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 26, 2011, 11:17 pm

You misunderstand what I said. You should tell your wife or surviving relatives or someone you trust where this information is kept so we can help them with whatever arrangements are needed upon your death. I DON'T WANT THE INFORMATION NOW OR AT ANY TIME IN THE FUTURE. I just listed the kind of information that would be needed upon your death to help with settling your estate..

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 3, 2018, 9:14 pm

How would one go about getting a Thai (translated to English) Death Certificate, If the deceased was an Ex-Pat, died in Thailand, and the beneficiary, lives in the decease’s home country?
Contact the Royal Thai Embassy of Home country? Contact the State Department of Home Country?
BTW. The beneficiary does not want to travel to Thailand (old and in ill health).

Thanks in advance. :D

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » April 4, 2018, 12:54 am

The Ex Pat's death should have been reported to their country's embassy who, should, in turn provide the report of death upon request. This will be same as death certificate that is issued in most countries.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 4, 2018, 5:08 am

You'll need the Thai issued death certificate with an English translation for the embassy. They in turn will issue a Report of Death to the next of kin.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » April 4, 2018, 9:38 am

jingjai wrote:
April 3, 2018, 9:14 pm
How would one go about getting a Thai (translated to English) Death Certificate, If the deceased was an Ex-Pat, died in Thailand, and the beneficiary, lives in the decease’s home country?
Contact the Royal Thai Embassy of Home country? Contact the State Department of Home Country?
BTW. The beneficiary does not want to travel to Thailand (old and in ill health).

Jingjai, do you specifically need a Thai Death Certificate translated to English, or will the standard Consular Report of a Death Abroad of an American Citizen issued by the US Embassy Bangkok suffice? I would presume that if the American citizen died in Thailand then his death was reported to the US Embassy Bangkok and a Thai Death Certificate with English translation was sent to them so that the consular report could be prepared. You can get a copy of the consular report by following the instructions under the category of "How Do I Obtain Copies of the Report of Death" on the following link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

If for some reason you actually need the translated Thai Death Certificate, then I don't know how to advise you. Perhaps you should inquire at the local Amphur in the city where he passed away.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 4, 2018, 11:11 am

semperfiguy wrote:
April 4, 2018, 9:38 am
jingjai wrote:
April 3, 2018, 9:14 pm

Jingjai, do you specifically need a Thai Death Certificate translated to English, or will the standard Consular Report of a Death Abroad of an American Citizen issued by the US Embassy Bangkok suffice? I would presume that if the American citizen died in Thailand then his death was reported to the US Embassy Bangkok and a Thai Death Certificate with English translation was sent to them so that the consular report could be prepared. You can get a copy of the consular report by following the instructions under the category of "How Do I Obtain Copies of the Report of Death" on the following link:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

If for some reason you actually need the translated Thai Death Certificate, then I don't know how to advise you. Perhaps you should inquire at the local Amphur in the city where he passed away.
Good advice.

JJ should pick up the phone and call the US Embassy.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Return to “Open Forum”