News Flash for US Hurricane to Hit New Orleans

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
banpaeng
udonmap.com

News Flash for US Hurricane to Hit New Orleans

Post by banpaeng » August 29, 2005, 6:48 am

This is for info only:

Major Cat 5 horricane is scheduled to hit New Orleans within 12 hrs. If it does will do major damage and leave many homeless. If you have relatives in area do not call as there has been a mandatory evac.

As stated above FOR INFO ONLY.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 29, 2005, 11:06 am

I know they have a hurricane season in the States but seems like there is one every week or so this year.Or is that normal?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 29, 2005, 5:55 pm

This has not been a normal year. Another aspect of this storm is the cost of petro. It is expected to rise 15 to 25 cents per gallon within a week. Don't know how it affects you guys in LOS but bet it does some how.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » August 29, 2005, 8:28 pm

banpaeng wrote:This has not been a normal year.
Where 'does' have a normal weather pattern in the world anymore :?

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » August 29, 2005, 10:18 pm

The major problem for New Orleans is that its below sea level!

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 30, 2005, 12:23 am

I agree BB. LOS is having record monsoons. We are having record Hurricane season. Had the great Tsunami. Droughts in Africa.

Has man messed around once to often???????????

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 30, 2005, 7:27 am

banpaeng wrote:This has not been a normal year. Another aspect of this storm is the cost of petro. It is expected to rise 15 to 25 cents per gallon within a week. Don't know how it affects you guys in LOS but bet it does some how.
I returned to the US after a month in Udon on August 18. I was very suprised
to find the price of Gas at $2.78. Today it's up to $2.91, tomorrow??? :cry:

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 30, 2005, 8:27 am

To you folks in LOS this might sound cheap but they are predicting over US$3 in Houston by the end of week or first of next week. I live in the energy capital of the US and this SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » August 30, 2005, 10:28 am

Living in this part of Florida I went through 2 hurricanes just 3 weeks apart last year and I can "feel" for the people in New Orleans.

Now that the price of fuel is going through the roof it just figures as I'm finnishing up my hot rod gas guzzling VW :?
Punish the Liver

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 30, 2005, 11:02 am

Well i think we were hit here last night by that depression that came from the South China Sea and over Vietnam.Rain,did it.the villages along the main road are swimming in muddy water and everyone has there Chinese nets out for the fish.

Further South in Isaan they still have drought conditions.Crazy.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 31, 2005, 1:12 am

Whilst I find it very sad and tragic looking at the TV coverage of the latest hurricane to hit the U.S. It does make me wonder what it takes to make the U.S. Goverment wake up to the problems of Global Warming.
In there own self interest, they refused to sign the Kyoto agreement. Surely now, when they can see their own country suffering as a direct result of their short-sightedness, they will pull their head out of the sand and start to clean up their act.

Gary

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » August 31, 2005, 11:19 am

Thailand has had abnormal weather for a couple of years now.Used to be that it rained from the start of August to the end of October,almost to the day.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 1, 2005, 2:15 am

A little update:

Southeast Louisana, South Mississippi and South Alamaba took direct hit and it is real bad. New Orleans is in total destruction due to levee failure and they are now going to total evacuate the city and it will be 4 to 6 months before they will let people back in.

Southern Mississippi looked like the tsunami Pictures. Little squares where houses used to be. Alabama has lots of wind and water damage.

Roads and interstates are totally gone including bridges

Lots of looting in New Orleans. Some compared it to Bagdad. I agree with a news reporter. They are looting for nothing City is flooding and will basically all flood. No vehicle traffic in or out. Everyone has to leave as all water supply is out and contaminated only way out is boat or air. Basically what they steal is for naught. Oh well shows the intelligence of the average thief. As an added footnote they showed two cops that joined in on the looting. Got bad apples in any barrel. Real geniouus i guess.

As perdicted petro went over US$3

They just flashed on tv they expect over 1000 dead in New Orleans. This is a bad one.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 1, 2005, 3:03 am

Best wishes to the friends and family of those who lost thier lives - RIP.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 1, 2005, 1:13 pm

The Times website is saying the city has been abandoned:

NEW ORLEANS is to be abandoned as flood waters pour in through huge breaches in the city

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 2, 2005, 6:29 am

Ya, they are moving to Houston :!:

I Do not think they are smart enough, to give up their fight to hold back the ocean :!:

I do think it is not a good idea to live in a soup bowl at the edge of a rising sea. 8)

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 2, 2005, 7:05 am

I started not to reply to this but thought I must. There are a lot of folks living the same as the folks in New Orleans. I know of Hong Kong and Singapore. But I guess these folks are smarter.

Look folks do what what they have to do. sometime it is not smart or as they wish but they do it. Weather they are smart has nothing to do with it.

In this time of destruction, compassion is more in order than dart throwing. All is not right but all is not wrong. There were some good folks lost there lifes in this storm.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 2, 2005, 7:43 am

Sorry to sound unconcerned for the people of New Orleans! But I was not really talking about them, but of the governments envolved policies. I think the correction to this, is to come up with a policy that will survive, with the billions and billions which will be needed, which could mean moving the city inland.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/200509 ... ngdisaster

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 2, 2005, 7:50 am

it will be interesting to see how the insurance companies and gov't handle this. obviously it's time to rethink the total existance of living in that soup bowl. not that they have been unlucky this time to have the hurricane, more that they have been lucky not to have many more in the past. time to wake up. i remember back a bit when a big one hit carolinas, the insurance companies and gov't said enough is enough, no more rebuilding homes in flood plains and wouldn't allow them to rebuild, or the insurance policy cost more than the house. obviously the amount of people in new orleans can't be displaced or the oil industry and business moved as easily. so they will have to invest a lot to make real levees that will withstand a cat 3-4 hurricane in the future. i can't wait till all the business and homeowners have to renew their insurance policies, bummer. all those years of profit, one year of deficit, well let's pass that burden on to the policy holders, not the stockholders, although i'm sure all insurance stocks took a dip last week.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 2, 2005, 8:01 am

same thoughts as i was typing. it does amaze me that people live in these areas by choice, every year enduring the same weather hassles. that's the reason i retired here instead of florida or mexico or caribbean, don't think i could deal with the constant weather concerns for half the year, during hurricane season. i'm actually one of the strange people that enjoy rainy season here, although been droughts the whole time i've been here, so maybe i wouldn't enjoy a couple real wet seasons in a row. but far from worrying if roof is going to be blown off or think about an earthquake. lived in memphis, at the end of tornado alley, that was strange, couple times a year people dying in mississippi and further into the dangerous areas. rarely reaching memphis, thankfully. the power of water or wind is not to be messed with. so many people ignore the warnings and pay the price. surprised about the number of trailor parks in the south, i know economics, but always the death are at those locations. simply leave to hotel or shelter for the night. enough rambling. time for coffee and baileys.

Return to “Open Forum”