Thai man marries his dead girlfriend

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » January 24, 2012, 4:31 am

29-year old Sarinya Kamsook and her 28-year-old boyfriend, Chadil Deffy, were to be married this year. Sarinya Kamsook unfortunately died in a car crash, just days before the big event, so Deffy decided to go on with their wedding as planned and married her.

During her funeral in Surin, Thailand, Chadil Duffy placed a ring on his deceased bride’s finger. It thus turned out a wedding/funeral ceremony, one of the rare events in the world.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 24, 2012, 5:35 am

This custom used to be very popular in the Canton delta region of Southern China (pre-Mao period). I believe there is a book about it, 'Daughters of the Canton Delta' by Janice (?) Stoddard. The tradition includes ghost marrying ghost, living partner marrying ghost, the woman basically marrying to the Buddhist religion (Kwan Yum - the Goddess of Mercy), and pledging never to marry a man. Many of these women ended up as maids to foreigners in Hong Kong.

This is the first time I have heard of this custom in Thailand. I wonder if the people involved are Chinese or not. Many of the Chinese in Thailand, and there are many, are descendants of Chinese from Swatow, a bit east of the Canton Delta.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » January 24, 2012, 11:06 am

Such a sad video,which I must admit it brought tears to my eyes. What a tragic loss of life to this beautiful young lady.
May she R.I.P.
How many young people ( and old come to that) have to die unnecessarily as a result of a road accidents. When are the government going to attempt to stop this mass slaughter on the roads.
I hope the families religious beliefs will be of comfort to them :cry:

Return to “Open Forum”