The history of sport

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Thai_1_On
udonmap.com

Post by Thai_1_On » October 29, 2006, 11:10 am

I would like to disagree in the strongest possible terms on motorsports not being a sport. When I think of sports first thing that comes to mind is "team". In motorsports the team is what puts your car, boat, airplane, ect. and most important vehicle ever made...the VW Bug :D (sorry I couldn't resist) :wink: in the winners circle.

I can attest to the skill necessary to build a racing engine but not only that you have suspension, drivetrain and body mechanics because all the HP's in the world arn't worth a **** if you can't put it on the ground. Then you have the driver who must be able to put all this work into motion. Again this is a team effort.

Now I have little respect for professional racing or sports teams as they win races or games with money and it seems there lacking passion. Sportsman racing or any other sport is where you see real passion. True it is fun to watch professional sports as they are on the cutting edge of there said sport but again there monetary motivated and not driven by the love of the game or race. Some of the best soccer games I've ever seen was in front of the house as the kids played "Soi Soccer".

I just returned from my local drag strip seeing the "World Street Car Shootout" and these are street legal cars running the 1/4 mile in the mid to high 7's :shock: Talking to the pit crews there mostly volunteers going to the races on weekends and the car owners are for the most part small busniess owners and if they win it does not pay for enough to cover parts, maintenance, or fuel. This is real sports!

Now I enjoy an illegal street race occasionally on which I'm undefeated but there again I have to be sharp and cut a good light and make my shifts at just the right time, keep the car in it's lane and this no differant than someone that can hit, kick or catch some ball :? And on top of that I build my own engines.

VicVegas
udonmap.com

Post by VicVegas » October 29, 2006, 1:59 pm

Merriam Webster online defines an "athlete" as:
a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina
. . . and "sport (n)" as:
a source of diversion : RECREATION b : sexual play c (1) : physical activity engaged in for pleasure (2) : a particular activity (as an athletic game) so engaged in
I'm not sure how useful these definitions are, since sex is included in "sport". :D

Driving at high speeds is definitely a "skill", and the people involved in NASCAR and Formula One racing are obviously highly skilled in their area of expertise, I just have a problem calling them sports and the participants athletes.

Same for skill games like darts, billiards and bowling. Golf requires a bit more athletic ability, and I think golf is a sport, but it's also more of a skill game. Baseball is definitely a sport, but it's hard to include David Wells (a notoriously over-weight yet very talented pitcher) in the same "athlete" catagory as someone like Wayne Rooney or Terrell Owen. I guess it's all pretty subjective.

I watched some rugby last night (NZ vs GB ?) and though I didn't understand most of it, it was very entertaining. Some big boys out there knocking heads. Still, the contact wasn't the same as in the NFL. When you see a saftey lay out a wide reciever coming over the middle of the field at full speed, you'll understand why they wear helmets and full padding.

Here's Tony Gonzales of my KC Chiefs. 6'6", about 220 lbs, great leaper with soft hands, and used to play college basketball. THIS, gentlemen, is an ATHLETE. :D

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » October 29, 2006, 2:44 pm

Vic Vegas ---- thanks for the definitions, I like yourself was having a hard time calling folks who don't break a sweat athletes but, since SEX is included I will just have to readjust my thinking. As with any serious athlete I'm always looking for an opportunity to train and improve;o)

Alagrl
udonmap.com

Post by Alagrl » November 1, 2006, 10:47 pm

Baseball is still my pick. It's the thinking man's (or woman's) game. I love anticipating the strategy.

Besides, there's nothing better than a warm day in the spring at the park, with a beer and hot dog!

Go, Braves!

Fred the Farmer
udonmap.com

Post by Fred the Farmer » March 29, 2007, 5:45 pm

VicVegas wrote: Some big boys out there knocking heads. Still, the contact wasn't the same as in the NFL.

Gentlmen the contact in Rugby is actually equal to that of NFL!! You just have not seen enough rugby??

Also Check Out www.jonahlomu.com 260lb 6,6" 100m in 11seconds. I would hate to have to stop him in NFL or Union :D

oldfield

Post by oldfield » March 29, 2007, 10:58 pm

Well said Fred -rugby is a man's game if ever there was one. none of this constantly being subbed business. and not much protection..

American football is a tough game, but you don't have to be fit to play it (although it helps). besides there are more injuries in rugby than any other sport, by far (except martial arts).

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: The history of sport

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 9, 2023, 9:22 am

Hey boys and girls, the game invented by British soldiers in St. Mary's, Ontario is back!

'Every year just when I start to think life is utterly meaningless and th world is going to Hell, baseball starts again". - The New Yorker, 2016.

https://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/dail ... 56Ll0CQ28E
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 9, 2023, 11:07 am

The more exciting version has already started and is now over - with Japan being very worthy, and dominant, World Champions.

In the Majors, I am looking forward to the Beantowners winning more games than the Cyanocitta cristatas.

Meanwhile, a couple of rungs down the ladder - even further down than Scunthorpe United in the soccer leagues - this young fella has managed to hit for the reverse cycle, while pitching a complete game, no-hit, shutout. :shock:

https://www.mlb.com/news/brady-ware-thr ... t-coverage

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 9, 2023, 11:21 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 9, 2023, 9:22 am
Hey boys and girls, the game invented by British soldiers in St. Mary's, Ontario is back!

'Every year just when I start to think life is utterly meaningless and th world is going to Hell, baseball starts again". - The New Yorker, 2016.

https://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/dail ... 56Ll0CQ28E
Watching TV in Thailand is mightily annoying with actors dropping a zinger followed by sounds effects Whizzz, Clang, squark.

Ditto American sports, the organ at basketball games and the music at baseball games, I like all three (except Thai TV) but pleeeeze let's drop the childish accompanying sounds.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 9, 2023, 11:36 am

jackspratt wrote:
April 9, 2023, 11:07 am
The more exciting version has already started and is now over - with Japan being very worthy, and dominant, World Champions.

In the Majors, I am looking forward to the Beantowners winning more games than the Cyanocitta cristatas.

Meanwhile, a couple of rungs down the ladder - even further down than Scunthorpe United in the soccer leagues - this young fella has managed to hit for the reverse cycle, while pitching a complete game, no-hit, shutout. :shock:

https://www.mlb.com/news/brady-ware-thr ... t-coverage
It would be nice to see the MLB champions play the Japan League champions in a best of 7 finals. But, as you say, the Japanese have proved once again they are the best baseball country in the world.

I liked the story of the young kid from U. of Indianapolis. That is something he will never forget.

Boston is in a tough division, but they should improve on last year's record. Or, they might become like those Red Sox teams of the '50s, who had the Splendid Splinter, but not much else going for them.

It was nice to see the St. Louis Cardinals have Adam Wainwright (Uncle Charlie) sing the U.S. national anthem for their home opener vs. the Toronto Blue Jays. It's a heartwarming moment fans, enjoy it. This is Wainwright's final year and he is on the injured list. Toronto won, 10-9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdR09qsqnXs
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Return to “Open Forum”