Driving Holiday

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Barney
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by Barney » January 3, 2013, 2:37 pm

Well I have my new top of the range 4 door Isuzu highlander and ready to take her on it's first long road trip in February. It's my first new car purchase for many years since i shut up my financial shutters leading up to and during the aussie divorce. Our old 2005 extra cab Isuzu is now a thing of the past and left to just carry beer and other items for the business.
So, where can we go I ask my teerak, and she comes out with the dreaded "up to u" response. Ok then I will plan the whole thing. She says this because her reasoning is it is my money and i should decide where we go and what we do. I cannot get it into her head that we are to share things as a group and every one have an input. I also totally planned and organised the last trip in Dec to the Japan snowfields. I have decided this time to drive from outside Khon Kaen(where we currently reside) to Chang Mai direct then take my time back along the most northern route I can take along the mekong to UT, once there with the spare time on our hands we will spend time looking for land and get a better feel for the place etc etc because we will be moving to UT once i finish my current overseas construction project. I feel a lot more comfortable in UT then KK every time we come to town. maybe even try some of the eateries I read so much about on UM.
To the chase, I would like fellow forum submitters to advise some points of interest and stopovers or drop in places that I can include into our travel itinerary. Need to keep a 7yr old girl, a 14yr old girl interested in the back seat. We are looking for some fun times for the girls and some natural site seeing places like national parks etc so i can try to educate them on their own countries beauty. They appear to have no idea or don't care. Have worked and driven all around aussie land for many years but haven't tried touring with my new Thai mob, so it will be a learning experience alround, I'll have my bottle of Duty free Johnny Walker Platinum and some red wine to release the "grumpy old man" stress each evening as sit back and bond as a disjointed family. [-o<
Would like feedback on nice family friendly places to rest for the night. That would be appreciated. Open to positive and negative comments on the route , like where is a must to visit and where not to bother.
Thanks in advance
Barney

bumper
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by bumper » January 4, 2013, 5:36 pm

Up to Chang Mai. Mae Hong Son, Pai, back to Nan then to Dan Sai Along the river. Should keep you very busy. Mae Hong Son Mountains very curvy. Very cold this time of year.

747man
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by 747man » January 4, 2013, 5:45 pm

Found Phrae to be a "Nice Little " Place up north,Then Phu Ruea & Loei on you're way back to Udon....

Barney
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by Barney » January 5, 2013, 6:39 am

Thanks Bumper and 747man,

I'll start pushing the pins in to the map and then it is just a matter of joining the dots. Maybe???
Good tip on the cold weather.
New cars these days have that sat nav stuff but i will try and do it old school with the map on the girls lap and then argue about wrong turns at every town we enter.
Thanks

pmc
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by pmc » January 5, 2013, 7:27 am

barney,
go with the flow is the best way to go. get your map study it and go, you will find,
there will be mistakes along the way, but thats the whole idea of adventure .

the girls will put up with, for how long who knows, but you will find places along the
way that you will like.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by GARYZX6R » January 5, 2013, 8:44 am

You`re giving the map to read to your wife ! If you want to stay married use the sat nav. Thais and a map ,like chalk and cheese :lol:

Barney
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by Barney » January 5, 2013, 5:22 pm

Yes Gary you are correct, my comment was a very tongue in cheek remark because i knew a lot of the members would relate from past experiences driving with the missus holding the map. How many arguments have transpired over time since the car was invented and the first man handed the map to the joy in his life and uttered those fateful words " darling just let me know in advance where we should turn".

PMC i will follow your advice to and go with the flow. Kids will be fine and hope they enjoy the adventure.

Route is taking shape and I do not work to a strict timetables.

parrot
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by parrot » January 5, 2013, 7:46 pm

As you're heading out of Phurua about 50km, at the peak of the mountain range, on the right hand side, there's a tiny school that serves 20-30 children. Bring a load of misc. school stuff...pencils, crayons, erasers, a soccer ball and a boatload of candy. Play English teacher for the kids for a half hour.
They'll never forget your visit.
Attachments
DSC00236.JPG

Barney
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by Barney » January 6, 2013, 6:03 am

Thanks Parrot,

What a great group photo.
That type of thing is right up my alley. Once I confirm my travel route I may ask a more detailed spot on the map for the school and plug it into the sat nav. Don't want to miss it.
A short visit and some usefull items would sure to bring a smile to the little ones. Looking at the photo they all could use a cap and if i have some good quality used school shoes from my 7 yr old they can be donated. I have a rugby league ball if that will do the trick but will look at a soccer ball, I have a pump for them.
Off the direct subject,
I have been involved with a number of groups for donations and visits to places, mainly because i had a boy who had cerebral palsy and it started from there. Raised money and collected clothing for the more disadvataged in FNQ in aussie and recently being based in Vietnam have visited and collected food and clothing for disabled orphanes in Ba Ria SE of HCMC and when i moved south across the mekong to Bach Lieu i have been donating rice from my business to the temples for the poorer villagers. I used a voucher scheme through the monks so the people had to come to my house like normal shoppers with the voucher for 2 or 3 kg's instead of money. Helped with their self esteem not having to beg. I am sure there are some worthy places with disabled or orphaned kids in UT that I can visit in the future to say g'day.

Regards Barney

bluejets
udonmap.com

Driving Holiday

Post by bluejets » January 6, 2013, 7:09 am

It's a great country to get around and see.

Something unexpected always pops-up no matter where you go.

I've been around most of the North but usually coming up from Southern regions and not so much travelling along the Mekong.

Good to have a plan in mind to end the travelling each day around 3 or 4 pm, enough time to get settled into a hotel somewhere and have a look around. Also good to have an idea beforehand of what accomodation is available.

One has to keep ones eyes peeled or know of attractions in the general area as sometimes they are easily missed. We had this experience as we travelled North near Chaing Rai. Looking out in the distance, my friend says " what is that reflection in the distance there?" Turned out to be the white temples and glad we did not miss that. Wat Rong Khun, and remember to go inside the main temple, no photos allowed though. You can spend maybe 2 or 3 hours there.

Another was an aquarium seemingly in the middle of nowhere, on approaching Mukdahan. No problems with communications there either. An ice cream van arrived after we had been there maybe 5 minutes and that was the middle of the week. Great gardens around Mukdahan also, as with so many parts of Thailand.

Would love to be over there right now travelling around. A bit cold up North at this time of year but really great stuff.

Return to “Open Forum”