Tourist Visa

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
tekmo
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by tekmo » March 1, 2013, 12:48 pm

Okay, I'm abit puzzled.

I've already planned my trip to USA->BKK->UD
I'm staying for 33 days.. I know I'll get 30Days Entry to the Country,
After the 30 days expire do I have to go to the Embassy and get an extension for 3 days?
Also, I read something as I'll need proof of 20k baht.. Now, do i need 20k baht in my pocket? How would one provide this?
This is my second time visiting thailand.. but last time i was there.. it was a measly 2 weeks..Second time EVER traveling out of the USA :D :shock:

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by ting_tong » March 1, 2013, 12:51 pm

just get a tourist visa at a royal thai consulate, good for 60 days

http://www.thaiconsulatela.org/service_ ... link_id=33
Last edited by ting_tong on March 1, 2013, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by harmonyudon » March 1, 2013, 12:56 pm

Or pay 1500 baht for 3 days overstay at the airport immigration.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by Asiaphile » March 1, 2013, 12:56 pm

tekmo wrote:After the 30 days expire do I have to go to the Embassy and get an extension for 3 days?
Nope. Just make a visa run to Lao on expiry and get an additional fortnight when you return. :D

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by harmonyudon » March 1, 2013, 1:00 pm

Yes, if you choose for that, just go to the border in Nongkai, apply for a lao visa, make a U-turn and you get 15 days more when you are back at the thai border. If you plan to visit Nongkai, do it then few days before your visa expires.
It will cost you more though.......

tekmo
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by tekmo » March 1, 2013, 1:18 pm

harmonyudon wrote:Or pay 1500 baht for 3 days overstay at the airport immigration.
this is the easiest, but im afraid they might charge me more...

guess i'll have to do a border run..
also, can i do a visa extension while im in bangkok?

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by Asiaphile » March 1, 2013, 1:25 pm

harmonyudon wrote:It will cost you more though.......
Sorry George, I don't understand. Why is it more? The VOA in Lao is $35/B1020.
And I wouldn't advise anybody to do something illegal (overstay).
Just my 2 bahts.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by BobHelm » March 1, 2013, 1:33 pm

Ting Tong has given the best advice.
The idea of crossing to Laos & getting a 15 day on return to Thailand will work but is a bit time consuming.
The idea of coming to Thailand with the deliberate intention of overstaying is such an idiotic one that I am not going to grace it with an answer. Except to say that if you follow such a stupid idea then I hope that you get all you deserve & that can be a great deal more than a small fine according to the law of the land. Just because they rarely apply it is no reason to deliberately flout the law... in Thailand, nor anywhere else!!

tekmo
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by tekmo » March 1, 2013, 1:53 pm

BobHelm wrote:Ting Tong has given the best advice.
The idea of crossing to Laos & getting a 15 day on return to Thailand will work but is a bit time consuming.
The idea of coming to Thailand with the deliberate intention of overstaying is such an idiotic one that I am not going to grace it with an answer. Except to say that if you follow such a stupid idea then I hope that you get all you deserve & that can be a great deal more than a small fine according to the law of the land. Just because they rarely apply it is no reason to deliberately flout the law... in Thailand, nor anywhere else!!
i'm not doing anything illegal, im a good kid. I'm far from doing or wanting to do anything illegal.
I'm not looking for any trouble.
that is why i asked on the forums from fellow UD people for any advices. If i wanted to do something illegal, i wouldnt have asked.

just to clear up any heat..

@Bob:
i know TingTong has the best advice, I've looked and I'm setting up a ride arrangement with my friends, so that they can take me or have a day or 2 trip to LAOS.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by BobHelm » March 1, 2013, 1:56 pm

My wrath was not directed in your direction, but at the giver of the 'advice'. Which is appalling.

As Ting Tong says, apply for a Tourist Visa before you come from a Thai Consulate in the USA.
You will then have 60 days to explore Thailand without any concerns.. :D

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by harmonyudon » March 1, 2013, 4:36 pm

Asiaphile wrote:
harmonyudon wrote:It will cost you more though.......
Sorry George, I don't understand. Why is it more? The VOA in Lao is $35/B1020.
And I wouldn't advise anybody to do something illegal (overstay).
Just my 2 bahts.
You are right Asiaphile. I was thinking about the cost of 1 month extension of 1900 baht before if you have a 3 months tourist visa and they stamped only 2 months. Is there not an extension possible for 7 days if you apply at the Udon Immigration Office???

Indeed an overstay is not recommendable. Initial question was about a 3 days extension and I thought only 3 days can not result in major big problems at the airport after you check in and go to the immigration desk and pay.

Breaking the laws many of us do many times; without helmet knowing in advance of the risk of paying 200baht. But that's another discussion.

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by Asiaphile » March 1, 2013, 4:44 pm

BobHelm wrote:Ting Tong has given the best advice.
I'm at a loss to see how you can determine so adamantly what the best advice is, without having sufficient knowledge of the OP's personal circumstances.
IMHO it's only he who can decide which alternative suits his situation best.

Do you know whether he's in a position to obtain a visa easily? I don't. Maybe there's no Thai consulate anywhere near where he lives, or maybe the time is too short to apply for a visa, to mention just two examples. :-$

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by harmonyudon » March 1, 2013, 4:49 pm

My advice would be:
Plan also a trip to Nongkai, make a U-turn, see for the cost the previous Asiaphille post. Simple and easy and enjoy Nongkai and go shopping for a fake cheap tablet or HP after you cross the border. :D

udonthani
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by udonthani » March 1, 2013, 5:53 pm

Overstay is not adviseable =; , it will be stamped in your passport, not good [-X . Why not just go to the immigration when you are here, 1 or 2 days before your initial visa is running out, and ask for 30 days extension=1900 bht, no hassle, and you can save yourself travel to Nongkhai and pay 1050 + travel + time and only get 15 days, although Nongkhai is worth a visit to the indochinese market
Moon

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by harmonyudon » March 1, 2013, 6:34 pm

Don't know if these rules are still valid:
Entering with a valid tourist visa prior to arrival:
You can extend for another 7 days at a Thai immigration office, making your stay 97 days, but this extra week will cost you a further 1900 baht.

Entering without a valid tourist visa prior to arrival:
If you're staying for just 15 or 30 days, (ie: NO TOURIST VISA) you can also extend this for 7 days by visiting one of the immigration offices, costing 1,900 baht.
You don't want to go Nongkai and above rules are still valid, apply for the 7 days extension. Just ask the immigration office in Udon when you are there.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by papaguido » March 1, 2013, 7:08 pm

Tekmo,

You have 3 options...

1. If you don't plan to visit Laos for any reason, then get a 60 day tourist visa (as you've been previously advised).

2. If Laos is in your plans, then obtain a 30 day permission to stay stamp on arrival, plan your Laos trip during the last week of your 30 day entry stamp. You'll get 15 days when you return to Thailand.

3. Alternatively, you can arrive on 30 day entry stamp (same as above). 3-4 for days before it expires go to immigration and ask for a 30 day extension. Up to the immigration officer and he or she may give you 30 days, 15 days or 7 days. Bring your itinerary. If for some reason they want to grant you an extension, then you have time to make a border run.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by harmonyudon » March 1, 2013, 8:39 pm

papaguido wrote:.....Up to the immigration officer and he or she may give you 30 days, 15 days or 7 days. Bring your itinerary. If for some reason they want to grant you an extension, then you have time to make a border run.
What are the reasons that they can refuse this extension? As far as I know only 7 days extension when you enter Thailand with no visa and get a 30 days visa stamped at the airport.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by Bonanza » March 1, 2013, 8:49 pm

Reason?? Logic ?? Last year I had to change flights and asked Udon Immigration for an extension of nine days - she gave me forty two !! I said that nine would be fine as I had a flight booking, but she said I might change my mind and want to stay longer.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by harmonyudon » March 1, 2013, 9:49 pm

@Bonanza,
That was great for you, but my question was for what reasons can they refuse an application for extension.
Tekno plan to enter Thailand with no visa and then is for him the visa exemption rules applicable, see hereunder part of these rules.

Passport Holders who can enter Thailand without a Visa

The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows tourists from 48* countries to enter without a visa. They are granted a stay of maximum 30 days but only if entering Thailand via an international airport. However, persons, entering through a land border checkpoint from neighboring countries will be granted a maximum stay of 15 days.

Under the new provisions of the VISA EXEMPTION RULE effective December 6, 2008, passport holders of 48* countries are entitled to enter Thailand under this rule provided that they meet the following criteria:

The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.

They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.

A fee may be levied on persons entering Thailand under the VISA EXEMPTION RULE.

Note that a person traveling using a “UK Travel Document”, a “UK Certificate of Identity”, or a “British National Overseas Passport”, cannot enter Thailand whatever their nationality. They are subject to visa rules concerning their nationality.
Normally, the Immigration will extend for an additional 7 days. Fee 1,900 baht.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Tourist Visa

Post by papaguido » March 1, 2013, 10:27 pm

harmonyudon wrote:@Bonanza,
That was great for you, but my question was for what reasons can they refuse an application for extension.
Tekno plan to enter Thailand with no visa and then is for him the visa exemption rules applicable, see hereunder part of these rules.

Passport Holders who can enter Thailand without a Visa

The VISA EXEMPTION RULE allows tourists from 48* countries to enter without a visa. They are granted a stay of maximum 30 days but only if entering Thailand via an international airport. However, persons, entering through a land border checkpoint from neighboring countries will be granted a maximum stay of 15 days.

Under the new provisions of the VISA EXEMPTION RULE effective December 6, 2008, passport holders of 48* countries are entitled to enter Thailand under this rule provided that they meet the following criteria:

The visit is strictly for tourism purposes.

They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.

A fee may be levied on persons entering Thailand under the VISA EXEMPTION RULE.

Note that a person traveling using a “UK Travel Document”, a “UK Certificate of Identity”, or a “British National Overseas Passport”, cannot enter Thailand whatever their nationality. They are subject to visa rules concerning their nationality.
Normally, the Immigration will extend for an additional 7 days. Fee 1,900 baht.
Regardless, even if immigration only grants him 7 days, he's covered. The OP will be in Thailand 33 days.

G-man, let it go already. You're going to confuse the OP.

Return to “Open Forum”