Passport renewal - safe address in Udon

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » June 23, 2013, 9:48 pm

I am having to apply for a new passport, British.
However, as I live outside of Udon Thani in a small village I have very little confidence in using the home address for the passports return.
Previous mail sent from home has had a 50/50 success rate.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of alternative ie safe address that could be used.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » June 23, 2013, 10:11 pm

Macca wrote:I am having to apply for a new passport, British.
However, as I live outside of Udon Thani in a small village I have very little confidence in using the home address for the passports return.
Previous mail sent from home has had a 50/50 success rate.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of alternative ie safe address that could be used.
I have a suggestion. Ask UTH Immigration if you can have your new passport sent to their address here in Udon. Tell them your problem. All they can say is 'no'.

If it were me, and they told me 'no', I'd just plan to go to BKK and get it from the UK Embassy.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 23, 2013, 10:15 pm

My guess is the Embassy would be sending the passport out by EMS which means it can be tracked and has to be signed for on your end, so the home address would seem a safe bet under those conditions. But, then again TIT!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 23, 2013, 10:30 pm

The British Embassy in Bangkok have nothing to do with the issue of passports..
It is all done via Hong Kong.

WBUs' idea of Udon Immigration sounds a good one to me, if they will go for it..(You will need to see them to swap your visa to the new passport anyway).

Maybe someone who has obtained a passport via Hong Kong can comment of the effectiveness of the service..

When I lived out in a village all mail would go to the head man, who would announce its' receipt, house by house, over the loud speaker system. The system seemed to work OK but certainly no door to door delivery :D

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » June 23, 2013, 10:40 pm

BobHelm wrote:The British Embassy in Bangkok have nothing to do with the issue of passports..
It is all done via Hong Kong.

WBUs' idea of Udon Immigration sounds a good one to me, if they will go for it..(You will need to see them to swap your visa to the new passport anyway).

Maybe someone who has obtained a passport via Hong Kong can comment of the effectiveness of the service..

When I lived out in a village all mail would go to the head man, who would announce its' receipt, house by house, over the loud speaker system. The system seemed to work OK but certainly no door to door delivery :D
Wow. I never knew that the UK Embassy didn't deal with passports. Good to know. I have a few friends who have sent their passports to HK, but never realized why there.

I wonder if HK would send the new passport to the UK embassy in BKK for pickup? I have no idea how they operate, but it's another thought.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 23, 2013, 11:29 pm

I Applied For & Recieved my " New " Passport in 2010 from HK,I Recieved it back within 15 Days or so at my "Home " Address in Nong Khai,No Problem & To my recollection it came back Via REGISTERED Mail & I Was asked to sign for it by the Postie....... :lol:

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » June 23, 2013, 11:41 pm

A friend had one replaced recently.
HK only vet the application then it is sent to the UK for issue. The Uk then send the new passport back to the applicant. Turn around is about 3-4 weeks.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » June 23, 2013, 11:48 pm

The Passport is sent to Hong Kong for sure then to the UK for issuance You can have it sent by return DHL so the chances of a safe return are much better as you can track the package on its return

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 24, 2013, 5:37 am

Maaca have you checked with the main post office? Maybe it's possible to make an arrangement for them to hold it when it arrives. In the US it's called general delivery...
Many people who cannot obtain a post office box or live in a remote area that the U.S. Postal Service cannot reach rely upon general delivery. General delivery is also for people who don't have a permanent address or who travel a lot and don't want their mail piling up at an empty house. If you choose to use general delivery, you'll be able to pick up your mail at the nearest post office. Mail is held for up to 30 days, and you can pick it up if you have proper identification, according to the Postal Service.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » June 24, 2013, 7:12 am

I renewed my passport through HK and used my home address out here in the sticks, no problem with the return, as mentioned above it was sent via EMS and I had to sign for it. They kept it at the local PO where I had to pick it up.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2013, 8:03 am

I've had two passports sent from Uk to Udon address (6k outside town) had to sign for them, and had no probs.
If you are really worried you can get a PO Box at Udon Post Office where all your post will be held until you collect it.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » June 24, 2013, 11:24 am

HK passport bods told me they wouldn't accept a PO Box return address.....

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » June 24, 2013, 3:02 pm

Cheers for all the input.
It would seem the best 2 options are to either risk using the home address on basis that signature on receipt is required.
Or, having the passport sent to the Embassy in Bangkok, if i time it right I could have an excuse to go down and watch Singha All Stars v Manchester United :)

Cheers

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 24, 2013, 3:20 pm

IF You are ONE Of them Manc's I Hope yer get beat !!

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » June 27, 2013, 12:03 pm

You can apply to UK. Embassy in Hong Kong for your new passport.I am about to do this myself.Log on to the Embassy and download the application form and the Embassy recommend you use DHL who have an office in Udon in front of the central bus station.Guaranteed delivery.The Embassy website says 3 to 4 weeks to process and return your new passport but if you need it more urgently say so on your application form.we did this for my Mum 3 years ago and had the passport back in 8 days.

Return to “Open Forum”