To Whom it may concern:

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
KB_Texas

To Whom it may concern:

Post by KB_Texas » November 22, 2013, 8:47 pm

I do not expect this post to last very long, but here it is anyway.

I just spent an hour editing and uploading pictures to the site, only to have them deleted because the shop was no longer a sponsor, which I think may be a miscommunication. But not my job to sort it out.

This sort of editing, while paid advertisers can pretty much do an say anything, is EXACTLY what I detest, and I am done with Udon Map. I will not be posting or reading here in the future. Maybe someone thinks it is ok to delete others information and work, and posting some messages here IS work, because they are not making a buck on that party. Ok, that tells me all I need to know, and I will talk with my feet.

If any of you wish to speak with me, I can be found easily enough, or ask around for my email address. Quite a few reasonable folks have it, or send a PM within the next two days. I will return an email address for contact until they decide *I* am not a paying sponsor and delete me too. (not a biggie if they do)

KB

trubrit
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by trubrit » November 22, 2013, 9:09 pm

KB I have never met you but I would just like to say I always appreciate the wisdom in your posts. Please reconsider your decision to leave. The new owner has a lot to learn, one of which is that the posters are the ones that make this forum, many of us have actively contributed to it's present day success. Without us there would be no sponsors. Hope fully he will realise this before others feel as you do. I don't think we ask for much, just to have our opinions listened to and the courtesy of a reply. This just deleting things smacks of censorship, which I for one won't tolerate. [-X
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Svein66
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by Svein66 » November 22, 2013, 9:18 pm

I got a post deleted a few days ago because the restaurant in that topic was not a sponsor, so it was not legal to post anything else than our own experience about that restaurant, I was told by a modd in a PM. I had posted the restaurant`s Facebookpage and the current sponsors didn`t like posts like that for non-sponsors... :(

pompui
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by pompui » November 22, 2013, 9:33 pm

I will keep in contact KB via email,will no doubt see you in establishments that we both enjoy,maybe it will be resolved.Will keep my thoughts to myself :-#

Los Amigos
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by Los Amigos » November 23, 2013, 1:58 am

I'm sorry to hear it, but can truly understand your decision. I became a sponsor, because sponsors were complaining about me getting too much free publicity, so I had to make the choice, paying to get publicity or no publicity, my business was doing okay before sponsorship, and I became a sponsor for my supporters on this forum, because people like yourself take the time and effort to share your experiences.
Some Sponsors are controlling this forum, ( see topic, burger recommandations),I've told Paul this before I became a sponsor, and I told him the impartial members will walk away.
I hope things will change, so you will reconsider your decision.

Casper
Visit us @ http://losamigos-udonthani.com/
TEX MEX, RIBS, STEAKS, KEBAB, BURGERS and PIZZA.
OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK FROM 11 am ¬ 10 pm

trubrit
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by trubrit » November 23, 2013, 5:54 am

It's good to see this thread has survived the night. That in itself is an encouraging sign that the core members collective experience is being listened to. I hope!
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Macca
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by Macca » November 23, 2013, 8:22 am

There definitely seems to be an increase in the level of censorship on the site these days and maybe that's not a bad thing.
The site has certainly become more commercial and I guess those who support it financially are, in the case of the OP, being protected. There are still plenty of posts about new restaurants and dining recommendations so not sure why it was decided to delete your information.

IMHO the problem is not so much with the sponsors, good for them to post daily specials or up coming events, but with the endless posts by some people who feel the need to give an in depth report every time they go for a meal. How juicy the burger was and how wonderful the staff were etc.
Thank goodness there is no health clinic sponsor.

Yesterday morning, about 7 ish, the top 7 posts were food related. Too much IMO
The number of active, contributing, members seems to have declined recently. Have others noticed that and if so for what reasons?

papaguido
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by papaguido » November 23, 2013, 8:36 am

Macca wrote:There definitely seems to be an increase in the level of censorship on the site these days and maybe that's not a bad thing.
The site has certainly become more commercial and I guess those who support it financially are, in the case of the OP, being protected. There are still plenty of posts about new restaurants and dining recommendations so not sure why it was decided to delete your information.

IMHO the problem is not so much with the sponsors, good for them to post daily specials or up coming events, but with the endless posts by some people who feel the need to give an in depth report every time they go for a meal. How juicy the burger was and how wonderful the staff were etc.
Thank goodness there is no health clinic sponsor.

Yesterday morning, about 7 ish, the top 7 posts were food related. Too much IMO
The number of active, contributing, members seems to have declined recently. Have others noticed that and if so for what reasons?
Over zealous moderation perhaps??

I posted a review by a Dutch cake maker on a sponsor's thread and it was deleted. Understandable as "they" may have thought it was off topic or whatever...the irony is that sponsor of the thread initiated the topic by making the recommendation in the first place :confused:

Zidane
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by Zidane » November 23, 2013, 8:54 am

If a post is to be deleted then I would have thought it was an obvious matter of courtesy for the moderator or whoever to contact the poster by pm to explain the reasons why the post is going to be removed. :-k
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

papaguido
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by papaguido » November 23, 2013, 10:49 am

Zidane wrote:If a post is to be deleted then I would have thought it was an obvious matter of courtesy for the moderator or whoever to contact the poster by pm to explain the reasons why the post is going to be removed. :-k
This has come up before and admin has stated there position clearly "off topic post or remarks would be deleted with no explanation".

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

To Whom it may concern:

Post by pienmash » November 23, 2013, 11:26 am

I and the businesses have been involved with HERE IN UDON have been a sponsor /advertiser with UM for many years and there have always been issues relating to posts being deleted for varying reasons ... The site has always offered businesses a great advertising medium if they choose to utilize it ... which i do .

There has to be some clear moderation in relation to PAYING sponsors/advertisers and those just getting free promotions through what ever means as if there werent no business owner would sponsor the site .. so there is a requirement for some modding in this area . Casper from Los Amigos put it quite well in his earlier post .

For sure UM is becoming more commercialized since Paul took the helm ..it is a business after all .. his business to direct as he sees fit and IMO it is still the best forum not only in the area but in the country and it is run pretty dam well ...god forbid it should ever go the way of TV and others ...as bigger is not always best .

I can understand KBs point after time consumingly uploading all the great pics from Udon Delices to have them deleted must have been annoying , i thought Alain was/is a sponsor here already , i may be wrong but for sure he is not the type to take advantage or using some one for free publicity .The the threads that need modding or at least editing are the Immigration/visa ones there must be hundreds on the site with the same questions asked again and again thats more tiresome than any commercial sponsorship IMO .

Lets hope this matter can be resolved and that as many of the older registered members will attest to it is possible to have a good balance of threads /topics both generally and commercial offering a large cross section of things to debate , discuss and offer advice .. and also those in business to promote their wares .. its been like this more months / years with a nice balance and why it has suddenly changed is strange however UM still offers a great place to keep in touch a hobby as well as business for me ,, i like the footy threads and the UM banter too n fro , made many friends via the site ...and a few enemies but hey ho thats how it goes ... in my experience concentrating on my own house / business and its development rather that what others do or say always pays dividends in the long term .

only my 2 penneth .

mash

bahn_nok
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by bahn_nok » November 23, 2013, 12:34 pm

If a member post a review with pictures about a thai establishment for example tanwandaeng or yellow bird or supermarkts like makro and villa market its ok.

parrot
udonmap.com

To Whom it may concern:

Post by parrot » November 23, 2013, 1:39 pm

Mod Note:
In the interests of fairness to the owner who's currently away, I'm going to lock this thread and give Paul a chance to respond.
In the meantime, if you have comments on how to improve the forum, please use the pm system.

Return to “Open Forum”