Staying at Prajaktra Hotel

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » December 19, 2013, 12:03 am

First off, let me say that I LOVE having lunch at the Prajaktra Hotel. Must be the best deal in all Udon. For 170 baht, you get a very high class buffet composed of excellent dishes and fabulous deserts. I don't think the hotel even tries to make money off their lunches, probably just wants people to come by and see their nice hotel.

The Mrs. and I decided to stay at Prajaktra last night. It was a full moon, and I wanted to get away from the dogs howling. For $35 (42 with tax), we got a very nice room that was plenty big enough- and even had large windows (last full moon we stayed at Centara- their lowest priced rooms had NO WINDOWS!!!- something they don't tell you in their website!- never gonna do that again!!! It was like a cave!!!)

Anyway, back to Prajaktra. Room was plenty nice, and comfortable, and quiet, though somehow I could hear the person in the next room closing his or her door, but nothing else. But some things were sort of weird about the room...

For one thing, they have a shower that's not in the bathroom together with the toilet, like every other shower you've ever known. Instead, it's right there in the room with you and your roomy! And its walls are translucent, looks like frosted glass, so you can sort of make out the person's form. Now if you're used to seeing each other naked, this is no biggie, but suppose you're sharing the room with a son or daughter? Or a workmate? Like I said, weird!

And the toilet, it didn't have rolls of toilet paper, but rather little one-ply sheets that come out one at a time!

And the mirror in the room, which is where you can shave, brush your teeth, etc. Directly in front of it is the sink and then more places to put things, so you can't stand anywhere near in front of it to look at yourself. No, you have to sort of crane your neck to look. Who designed that like that... and why?

Don't get me wrong, we were pretty much happy with the place, and did have a good night's sleep, although they have a rooster nearby who I did hear crowing when I work up around 8. But at least no dogs. And the breakfast buffet was quite adequate, though not spectacular like lunch. Oh, and forgot to add, the "gym" consists of a step machine and two walking machines. Would it kill them to have some weights?

Anybody have any observations to add?

writemotive
udonmap.com

Post by writemotive » December 19, 2013, 12:36 am

I had the same feeling about the room at the Prajaktra during my stay there while my wife was at a nearby hospital having our second child. It wasn't that the room and fittings were bad, it was just that the room, angles, and amenities were located in a "weird" configuration. It appeared the architect/designers wanted to be different for difference sake. However, I did Enjoy my stay there and the rooftop bar/restaurant overlooking Prajak Park was a great spot. Breakfast buffet and menu at the restaurant were satisfactory. Agree, the lunch buffet is nice, and a very good value.

howard
udonmap.com

Post by howard » December 19, 2013, 1:16 am

milkman wrote:And the toilet, it didn't have rolls of toilet paper, but rather little one-ply sheets that come out one at a time!
Most Thais do not use toilet paper. They use the little ' bidet ' hoses to clean their bottoms. More Hygienic don't you think?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 19, 2013, 6:53 am

I always find those showers quite erotic. Just the thing I need on a weekend away with the wife without the kids. \:D/
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » December 19, 2013, 7:10 am

Hi,
I also use that bidet thing, But I use toilet paper to dry my backside after doing this, or ill be going around with wet underpants all day.
Every Thai I have known has used toilet paper.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » December 19, 2013, 7:33 am

Wife And I had lunch there yesterday and we both a bit disappioted and thought it was not up to its usual standard
We were the only ones eating in the main room side room had 6-8 guests so very quiet apart from the staff yakking

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » December 19, 2013, 8:29 am

A big trend in new Thai hotels in the last year or so seems to be having the bathroom separated from the room by a large glass window.....though usually there is a curtain to cover !
I can understand hotels making use of glass for nice views like mountains,lakes or the sea but to see a toilet and shower from the bedroom with the prospect of watching someone have a dump....... :roll:
Glass wall separates toilet from room.jpg
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » December 19, 2013, 8:38 am

milkman wrote:For one thing, they have a shower that's not in the bathroom together with the toilet, like every other shower you've ever known. Instead, it's right there in the room with you and your roomy! And its walls are translucent, looks like frosted glass, so you can sort of make out the person's form. Now if you're used to seeing each other naked, this is no biggie, but suppose you're sharing the room with a son or daughter? Or a workmate? Like I said, weird!
It`s only the cheapest rooms at the hotel that have these showers.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » December 19, 2013, 8:48 am

Svein66 wrote:
milkman wrote:For one thing, they have a shower that's not in the bathroom together with the toilet, like every other shower you've ever known. Instead, it's right there in the room with you and your roomy! And its walls are translucent, looks like frosted glass, so you can sort of make out the person's form. Now if you're used to seeing each other naked, this is no biggie, but suppose you're sharing the room with a son or daughter? Or a workmate? Like I said, weird!
Not my experience. Last birthday booked two suite rooms for my guests, both had them .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » December 19, 2013, 8:57 am

trubrit wrote:
Svein66 wrote:
Not my experience. Last birthday booked two suite rooms for my guests, both had them .
I have stayed in a suite with normal bathrooms and I have also stayed in normal rooms, but not the cheapest. The first time we stayed at the hotel we were shown the diffeent types of rooms, and only the cheapest rooms (they are not cheap) had these showers. But of course, we didn`t see every room.

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » December 19, 2013, 12:26 pm

milkman wrote: .......................... but suppose you're sharing the room with a son or daughter? Or a workmate? Like I said, weird!

And the toilet, it didn't have rolls of toilet paper, but rather little one-ply sheets that come out one at a time!
I don't see any problem with this, you said that the shower cubicle was 'translucent', not 'transparent. :D I recall that when I was young most of the toilet paper (in UK) came like that in 'pop up' boxes - and it wasn't tissue but thin paper. We used to use it for tracing paper too. :D :D

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » December 19, 2013, 12:53 pm

Now that I think of it, I'm pretty darn sure the glass door of the shower was clear, while the other walls were frosted. So if someone were sitting at the desk, or craning their neck at the sink- or anywhere else in the room except lying in bed- they could see you naked thru that door. This makes it very hard for those of us who try to keep our stomachs sucked in when naked as we then have to do it during the entire shower- and that's a lot of sucking!

Also, I forgot to add during my original report that the fold-up door to the toilet also translucent windows. And there were lots of spaces in between the slats, so all the noises from the toilet could be heard by your roommate. As you can imagine, these are noises you might rather she not hear and that are not likely to excite thoughts of romance!

milkman
udonmap.com

Post by milkman » December 19, 2013, 2:20 pm

The wife says the glass door of the shower was frosted. So I'm going to take back the first paragraph of my last post, although it was funnier the way I had it.

bigsnake
udonmap.com

Post by bigsnake » December 21, 2013, 10:24 am

Zidane wrote:A big trend in new Thai hotels in the last year or so seems to be having the bathroom separated from the room by a large glass window.....though usually there is a curtain to cover !
I can understand hotels making use of glass for nice views like mountains,lakes or the sea but to see a toilet and shower from the bedroom with the prospect of watching someone have a dump....... :roll:
Glass wall separates toilet from room.jpg
CONCUR!! CURTAINS or lose the Class> what if you are sharing the room with a fellow worker on visit for a seminar or just sharing with a traveling Mate.

Return to “Open Forum”