No alcohol to Australia

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Barney
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by Barney » December 21, 2013, 7:05 am

Travelling to Sydney this morning and went to buy 1 bottle of spirits duty free. Took the bottle to the counter and low and behold "Sorry sir you are travelling to Australia and cannot take alcohol" Only allowed from Singapore and 1 other place.... WTF... I do not always keep up with current trends but when did this come in???? And who would make that decision?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by Stantheman » December 21, 2013, 7:50 am

You might want to check the following link, not sure it will answer your questions. It might have to do with you carrying the alcohol and not delivered to gate.

http://travelsecure.infrastructure.gov. ... ee_to.aspx

Zidane
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by Zidane » December 21, 2013, 8:30 am

I believe this is all down to the Australian Government who have stated that all airlines bound for destinations in Australia can only allow passengers 100ml of liquid to be taken on board as hand luggage.
You should be OK buying perfumes etc.to take on board but it sure wouldnt taste the same ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

No alcohol to Australia

Post by wokkawombat » December 21, 2013, 9:59 am

I normally order my duty free grog when I exit Australia at Sydney or online and pick it up on return to Australia.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

threestags
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by threestags » December 21, 2013, 11:37 am

Barney wrote:Travelling to Sydney this morning and went to buy 1 bottle of spirits duty free. Took the bottle to the counter and low and behold "Sorry sir you are travelling to Australia and cannot take alcohol" Only allowed from Singapore and 1 other place.... WTF... I do not always keep up with current trends but when did this come in???? And who would make that decision?
Lucky you weren't served. A friend of mine somehow managed to purchase a bottle of grog and sadly had to dispose of it at the gate prior to boarding. The rule has been in place for quite a few years and has something to do with only being permitted with 100mls. I thought the rule was recently relaxed, but obviously not

Alchai
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by Alchai » December 21, 2013, 2:10 pm

You have always been able to buy duty free on arrival at Sydney. Anyone know if that is still an option?
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

No alcohol to Australia

Post by wokkawombat » December 21, 2013, 6:41 pm

Alchai wrote:You have always been able to buy duty free on arrival at Sydney. Anyone know if that is still an option?
Still an option plus you can order it on the way out and pick it up on the way in, also order online for pick up on arrival.
Gurgle, Gurgle...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by jackspratt » December 21, 2013, 7:56 pm

wokkawombat wrote:
Alchai wrote:You have always been able to buy duty free on arrival at Sydney. Anyone know if that is still an option?
Still an option plus you can order it on the way out and pick it up on the way in, also order online for pick up on arrival.
Bear in mind it is more than likely to be a fair bit more expensive than buying in Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.

maaka
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by maaka » December 22, 2013, 2:52 am

just to add to the perfume remark.
was in Brunei airport on route to Siam, local group buys a bottle of perfume at Duty Free, gets to the gate and told no sorry to much liquid, by this time the Duty Free has closed down for the night, so they cant go back and get a refund, all hell breaks loose, so I step in and suggest tipping half of it into another bottle, and carried by two people in the group, and on arrival at said sweethearts home, tip it back into the bigger bottle...Customs didnt take to kindly to my remark..

Barney
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by Barney » December 22, 2013, 4:08 am

wokkawombat wrote:

Thanks wokka wombat and others for the update. Unfortunately i do not live in australia and rarely buy duty free going in. And therefore don't order on the way out.
I passed through the duty free in sydney and others were buying but being a cynical bast..d I thought it was just an aussie SCAM to get you to buy in aussie plus when i arrive after the 9 hrs the last thing i want to do is slow my exit from the airport. Lessons learned well and trully. Off to Dan Murphys grog shop today, their alcohol is not bad in price.

Merry christmas to all.

noosard
udonmap.com

No alcohol to Australia

Post by noosard » December 22, 2013, 7:17 am

Flew via Singapore In Mid Oct had to pick duty free up at the departure gate in a big sealed bag also could still buy duty free apon landing at Coolangatta

Return to “Open Forum”