Vietnam visit

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by BobHelm » September 20, 2014, 11:53 am

Nha Trang - continued

If, when I reached the beach I turned right, instead of left towards the river, the beach also extended that way for a considerable distance.
This was a very much more lively area though &, to be honest not really my cup of tea. The linear park had been taken over & converted to pools & bars. This was also the location of the largest night club in the resort - The Sailing Club.
I did see jet skis advertised for rent, but never actually saw any out on the water.
The real water sport enthusiasts would have headed for an island (Hon Tre) in the bay & a large water park on it called Vin Pearl.
Here is a view of it from my room.
Vinpearl from my room.jpg
It was not a cheap day out for a family of 4 though. The adult fare was 550,000 dong, about $27, but that did include transport across to the island.
That was done either by ferry or the 3,300 metre Vinpearl Cable Car that stretched across the waters.
Vinpearl Cable Car.jpg
Vinpearl Cable Car.jpg (68.97 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
I actually stayed longer in Nha Trang that I had originally planned as a on the cards trip to Hanoi failed to materialise. It took all of 2 seconds of thought to decide to remain there.. :D

Ho Chi Minh City
I didn't actually spend much time there - a night going & a couple of nights returning.
It is certainly not somewhere that I would be happy to spend a great deal of time at.
But I don't like big cities in general, so that should come as no great surprise.. :D
I stayed both times at The First Hotel.
http://www.firsthotel.com.vn/khachsan/english/index.php

I had pre-booked the outward stay as it was near to the airport & offered free pick up & delivery. They made that night a pleasant enough stay that when I had to return I booked them again.
There were a real pleasure to deal with &, luckily, they offered enough variety of food that I didn't really need to venture very far afield on the stay.
That was just as well as the roads in the City were so busy as to be indescribable.
I like to wander around & find places for myself but that was not really an option in HCMC. It was easy & cheap enough to get a taxi, but that implies that you know where you want to go - & I didn't.. :D
So while there was no fault with the hotel & staff (who I could not recommend enough) I think if I ever ventured back to HCMC for more than a night I might attempt to find somewhere more central, where walking might be an option..
Although, realistically, I cannot really envisage that I would ever return to do more than pass through.

I think that it has also changed my view on how I might handle a return visit to different parts of the country.
I did have it as a thought that during the heat desperate season in Udon (April & May) that a trip to Hanoi & the North of the country might be pleasant.
My thinking now is that Hanoi might still be OK to land in, but maybe not stay.

arjay
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by arjay » September 20, 2014, 1:09 pm

Thanks for some great reports on Vietnam & HCMC, Bob.

Noting that one has to fly into and out of Vietnam through either HCMC or Hanoi, if one prefers to avoid manic cities, where would you recommend heading on to? Presumably Nha Trang and another location(s)?

I understand My Son (Cham site) near Hoi An has stunning sights and is of very significant historical interest.

If going to Hanoi, in the north, the coastal resort that most people go to from there is Halong Bay, which I believe is about a 4 hour (manic) drive.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by BobHelm » September 20, 2014, 1:44 pm

Qui Nhơn is north, on the coast, of Nha Trang.
That certainly looks worth a visit as another beach spot. It is only just over an hour by plane from HCMC & there are 3 flights a day on Vietnam Airlines. They (Vietnam Airlines) were certainly OK to fly on, although not exactly the cheapest for short inter-country flights when compared to the deals available inside Thailand.

HCMC airport is a bit like the old Don Mueang Airport used to be, with a long distance between domestic & international flight terminals. The taxi always asked which I wanted as there are two distinct entrances/exits.
Taking that into consideration it might be difficult to not stay at least a night in HCMC coming & going..

If I went to Hanoi then, as you say, Ha long is suppose to be one of the natural wonders of the world. Ninh Binh is not too far away from that as well (ex-Pres Clinton paid a visit there).
I do think that the North would involve a great deal more road travel though.
That is not exactly my favourite thought for a relaxing & peaceful break... :D
So we will have to see..

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by karonsteve » September 20, 2014, 3:46 pm

BobHelm wrote: It is only just over an hour by plane from HCMC & there are 3 flights a day on Vietnam Airlines. They (Vietnam Airlines) were certainly OK to fly on, although not exactly the cheapest for short inter-country flights when compared to the deals available inside Thailand.

I do think that the North would involve a great deal more road travel though.
I do not know if this is still an option but several years ago some customers of mine bought a 1st class rail ticket valid for one month which allowed them to get on and off trains at will. They spent the month travelling down from HCMC to Saigon just getting off the train for a look around at anywhere interesting. I believe the cost then was US20.
They really enjoyed it saying the trains were "ok" and the people great.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by BobHelm » September 20, 2014, 3:52 pm

Thanks for the tip Steve.
It certainly warrants an investigation if Hanoi looks like a good plan in the future.
I would certainly prefer train travel to road & I really like the idea of liking the look of a stop & so getting off!!

Alchai
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by Alchai » September 20, 2014, 10:19 pm

Has anyone been to Dong Hoi? Looking at Google maps etc. the place seems to have some good features including long sand beaches. I'm thinking what a good idea it would be to start a flight route there. According to my calculations it would take some 40 minutes from Udon and you would be more or less on the beach within an hour. Beats the Thai resorts \:D/
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

fatbob
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by fatbob » September 21, 2014, 8:32 am

Alchai wrote: Beats the Thai resorts
By that statement I would suggest you haven't had much of a look around Thailand, time for you to start exploring off the beaten track. Seems to be fashion for some Udon expats to put down Thailand without ever being there.
After working in Vietnam I couldn't wait to get back to Thailand.

Shado
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by Shado » September 21, 2014, 8:49 am

Excellent information and great photos BobHelm. We enjoyed Hanoi. Visited Hỏa Lò prison (Hanoi Hilton) the Ho Chi Minh museum, Hanoi water puppet show as well as seeing lots of interesting shopping and eating areas. We spent 3 nights on a boat in Ha Long Bay and went to Dua Go cave. Ha Long Bay is a must see.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by Alchai » September 21, 2014, 11:10 am

coxo wrote:
Alchai wrote: Beats the Thai resorts
I would suggest you haven't had much of a look around Thailand, time for you to start exploring off the beaten track
Maybe not, I've only been traveling around Thailand for 20 years and still a lot more to explore. However, I was referring to travel time if just wanting a swim and a change of location.
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

Zidane
udonmap.com

Vietnam visit

Post by Zidane » December 14, 2014, 11:05 am

Da Nang named top Destination on the Rise for 2015
Da Nang Vietnam.jpg
TripAdvisor has announced Da Nang in Vietnam as the number one Destination on the Rise in the World and Asia in the Travellers’ Choice Awards.
Southeast Asian destinations dominated the awards for places to see in 2015, however the rapidly developing Da Nang, Vietnam took the top prize quite convincingly.
Department of Culture, Sport and Tourism of Da Nang City deputy director Tran Chi Cuong, said that it is a thrill to see Da Nang being recognised at a global stage.
“We are thrilled to see Da Nang ranked first in the world for the Travellers’ Choice Destination on the Rise awards. Da Nang is a land of wonder with beautiful nature and hospitality. To receive this award is a great endorsement from travellers around the world,” Mr Cuong said.
All award-winners were determined using an algorithm that primarily measured the year-over-year increase in positive TripAdvisor traveller review ratings on accommodations, restaurants, and attractions, across destinations worldwide.
TripAdvisor chief marketing officer Barbara Messing, said that the TripAdvisor community has helped surface some unheralded destinations across the globe.
“From the beaches of Southeast Asia to the citadels in Europe, these award-winners offer highly-rated options for accommodation, restaurants and activities to inspire those planning their vacations for the new year,” Ms Messing said.
Da Nang, Vietnam has a total of 122 Hotels, 203 Restaurants, 74 Attractions and according to TripAdvisor the average nightly hotel rate is S$66.22.
The city is located between Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, and is known for its tranquil beaches, culinary tours, and Buddhist sanctuaries.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Return to “Open Forum”