NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
croc
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by croc » January 24, 2015, 9:35 am

From Thai Visa, :confused:

BANGKOK: -- Restricted alcoholic beverages sale times will take effect today throughout the country.

Alcohol beverages can now only be sold from 11.00 am – 2.00 pm and from 5.00 pm – 12.00 pm every day.

An announcement was made today by the Prime Minister’s Office on the 2015 law regulating alcohol sales which takes effect today.

At all other times, alcohol sales are strictly forbidden with the exception of at international airport terminals and legally registered entertainment venues which have laws that strictly govern the periods they can operate daily.

Director-general of the office of the Alcohol Control Committee Mr Samarn Futrakun stated the core substance of the new regulation remains the same in that the permissible duration for daily alcohol sales to be capped at 10 hours.

Airports however are given the same allowance as before while entertainment venues which in the past were allowed to sell alcohol from 9.00 pm – 2.00 am can only do so up to midnight.

This means that in total, night time entertainment venues can only legally sell alcohol for 5 hours every day which in total is less than regular restaurants.

As for the reason for the new regulation governing alcohol sales, he stated that the old law was problematic as it did not cover every aspect.

The new law however takes into account every type restaurant and other venues selling alcohol.

Also, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.

Violation of the law is subject six months imprisonment and/or a 10,000 Baht fine.

BossHogg69
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by BossHogg69 » January 24, 2015, 9:59 am

So much for making people happy, back to the dark ages.

frederico
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by frederico » January 24, 2015, 10:10 am

I think thats abolutely the right way to do it in Thailand because some people can,t stop for "drinking" and even drive with there Cars and Motorcycles when they are drank. I hope it will helps a little bit too for very big accidents and dead persons.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by marjamlew » January 24, 2015, 11:28 am

The local plod are going to love the new tea-money openings that this dogs breakfast brings. And what about the 24 hour operations in Patts - What will happen with them? TIT............ :confused:
Watch Me!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by FrazeeDK » January 24, 2015, 12:00 pm

oh please!! how many thousands of Mom and Pop's stores sell booze and beer both in the city and out in the rural villages.. Are the cops going to get them too?? As it stands now, I could send a 10 year family member to the Mom and Pop's to buy me beer with no questions asked... Also, I see no exceptions for restaurants so if I go to have a late lunch or early dinner I guess that means I can't have a beer with it.. The original law restricting the sale of alcohol to specific times came out of the military junta back in 91.. Funny how some laws never go away...
Dave

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 24, 2015, 12:03 pm

Also, the old law allows for wholesale purchase of alcohol in excess of 10 liters to be made at any time of the day while any purchase under 10 liters can only be made at the specified times.

The new regulation does not allow for this, what matters now are the stated hours for purchase or sale of alcohol irrespective of quantity.
Just be careful Jon, Dean and others at what time of the day you restock!! Ya gotta wonder what meds some of these Thais are on? :confused:
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Nong Bua Dave
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by Nong Bua Dave » January 24, 2015, 12:29 pm

I like the reason given for making these new laws is because the old ones were hard to enforce.
Nothing said about "why" the laws are needed.
Do they honestly think stopping alcohol sales during certain periods will turn Thai Lao Kao and whiskey drinkers into good little puritanical Thais ?
If the laws were "sensible" and did more than just prohibit sales, then maybe they might work...but T.I.T.

SJP17
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by SJP17 » January 24, 2015, 1:06 pm

So you go out for some grub after 2pm then you cant have a beer until 5pm , sounds a bit draconian !

I guess most nightclub venues will be able to apply for a late licence ?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 24, 2015, 1:07 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:

Just be careful Jon, Dean and others at what time of the day you restock!! Ya gotta wonder what meds some of these Thais are on? :confused:
Thanks for your concern BDD , i was well aware of the new regulations coming some time ago but decided not get involved on the forum until it was official .. both 3DM and The Tap will be following the new restrictions to the letter and it only really means some possible changes to trading times and deliveries etc.... just another hurdle to get over or around some thing Dao n I have had to do numerous times in the past as laws n licenses etc have changed ... now as then we will develop our businesses to stay within the law ...always the best course to steer IOP.

Cant really see how this will change the general attitude towards alcohol in Thailand with all the locals on Lao Khao , mom n pop shops etc ...alas and very sadly another negative for the flagging tourism numbers which really need a boost not the opposite , imagine all the bars in Patts n Phuket closing and telling patrons to go at 2pm ... :shock:

DM

Classic TIT ...
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by papafarang » January 24, 2015, 1:24 pm

looks like deliveries in the morning 11am-2pm jon. who wants to go out in the traffic after 5pm in udon, what a nightmare. only other thing is get a place in udon international airport. bad news for everyone, fuzzy ken has plenty of afternoon drinkers as do some of the other places. could end up like the uk with people just buying a crate and heading to their mates for the afternoon
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

monkeyman
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by monkeyman » January 24, 2015, 1:39 pm

WTF :shock: I am an afternoon drinker when I drink ' well normally :^o

My relaxing afternoons at The Tap & Chris's are fked now? defo another severe blow for tourism... what clowns =D>

hmm just thought though... if selling food?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by jackspratt » January 24, 2015, 1:47 pm

Also be interesting to see how this is enforced in the boonies - where rumour has it, some bars stay open even on significant, otherwise closed, days. :-k

Stupidity personified. I get the feeling that they sometimes make new laws here just to give the impression they are doing something. And then follow it up by selective, or non, enforcement - along with many other older laws on the books. :confused:

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 24, 2015, 1:50 pm

Indeed 3DM daily deliveries along with payments will now be 11am - 2pm ONLY ... remember the sale of goods is at the time the payment is made not delivery time , many wholesale customers pre pay prior to delivery , this is something we have already started to introduce several weeks ago precisely for this reason.

Collections from BKK are already within the allotted times ... and collections are not sales until the invoice is paid which can be done within the correct times.

FEAR NOT MONKEYMAN ...We are looking at only some minor changes to The Tap set up cover all restrictions and stay with in the law.

Certainly will effect many venues all over the country some more than others .

DM ... keep on smiling .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by papafarang » January 24, 2015, 1:56 pm

well we will get away with it for a little while, then one night a raid down the bar areas getting cash from all bars, then they will leave it a couple of weeks until everyone thinks it over... and then bang got you again, police will love it, got a club, ok 5,000 baht a night please. selling food won't help either, being a restaurant won't help. centara will get a special license as its a big chain of hotels, but the rest better hope they drop the laws soon. or build a home bar and invite your mates down for a few....just tell them to bring their own
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by stattointhailand » January 24, 2015, 2:35 pm

"build a home bar and invite your mates down for a few....just tell them to bring their own"

Better make sure you INVITE them between 11am and 2pm just in case :lol:

Macca
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by Macca » January 24, 2015, 2:44 pm

These laws are just ridiculous, those who drink irresponsibly will always find a way.
Tescos and 7/11 will stick to the laws while the small shop in between will totally ignore them.
Seems a bit like the changes in visa requirements, those who do all they can to comply get the hassle whilst those who offend continue to do so

Can't really see this law being stuck to in the bars of Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. If it does then it's another nail in the tourism coffin.
All for finding ways in curbing deaths and other alcohol related issues, but this isn't the solution

:shock: :shock: :shock: A later headline reads "Govt working to boost tourism, Thai PM says" Yep the left hand really doesn't know what the right hand is doing

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by stattointhailand » January 24, 2015, 2:49 pm

" Yep the left hand really doesn't know what the right hand is doing"

When was the last time that the "LEFT" or the "RIGHT" had any idea what was really going on

noosard
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by noosard » January 24, 2015, 4:30 pm

Just a technicality consumption and sales are different

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 24, 2015, 4:30 pm

Macca wrote: Can't really see this law being stuck to in the bars of Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket. If it does then it's another nail in the tourism coffin.
Nor here in Ban Dung. As for a tourist destination --- forget it. Just a temporary stop over for those snagged down South using their dick as a rudder -- 90% don't frequent our bars anyway.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

noosard
udonmap.com

NEW ALCOHOL LAWS

Post by noosard » January 24, 2015, 4:45 pm

PHUKET: A top-ranking police officer and a leading Phuket health official today both confirmed that there has no change in the hours that alcohol may be sold, despite a new order signed into effect by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha.

PM Prayut signed the order on January 6, with it proclaimed in the Government Gazette as coming into effect yesterday, January 23 (click here).

The new order mandates that shops having liquor licenses are allowed to sell alcohol only between 11am and 2pm, and 5pm and midnight.

However, it also stipulates that the law does not apply to international airports or entertainment venues already regulated by law, such as bars along Patong’s Soi Bangla.

Provincial Police Deputy Commander Peerayuth Karajedee today told the Phuket Gazette, “I have no idea why this is news. It has been these hours for more than 10 years.”

Dr Krit Sakulpat, deputy chief of the Phuket Provincial Health Office, concurred.

“I am not aware of – or been informed of – any changes to the Alcohol Beverages Control Act [click here]. I can only confirm that the hours that alcohol may be sold remain the same,” he said.

The Alcohol Beverages Control Act is the latest incarnation of the 253rd declaration of 1972 Revolutionary Council, which stated that shops having liquor licenses are allowed to sell alcohol only between 11am and 2pm, and 5pm and midnight.

Yet, Wisut Romin, the deputy secretary of Phuket Provincial Administration Office at the time, confirmed to the Gazette more than 10 years ago, “This law applies only to shops… Entertainment venues can sell alcohol at any time during the hours they are allowed to open [story here].”

Regardless, Col Peeryauth said that police were aware that many small mom-and-pop stores throughout Phuket ignored the ban.

“Please understand that we cannot keep track of every shop and fine them for it. Unless an officer catches them in the act, there is little we can do,” he said.

The penalty back in 2004 was fined up to 30,000 baht, jailed for up to three months, or both.
Years later, the penalty was reduced to a fine of up to 10,000 baht, six months in jail or both - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... uwOOB.dpuf

Return to “Open Forum”