searching for my family in Thailand

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
JohnathanDoe

Post by JohnathanDoe » October 22, 2015, 4:31 pm

Greetings forum members & readers,

I have been thinking a lot about posting this topic or not past months...but I've come to a point in life I must try to accept help and try to be open as much as I can. For me personal it is very emotional and sensitive matter. But this is the only thing I still must do before I die!!

to all of you members, readers, national Thai and Thailand expats & experts...I would like to ask help.

I still do want to stay anonymous on public forums and websites and I apologize for that matter. Thru pm I can introduce myself properly if necessary.

After many years of searching for my Thai family both father's and mother's side I come to a point that I don't know what to do anymore. where to search? who to contact? I contacted the Thai newspapers, Thai tv broadcasting networks, lawyers etc...most of the time no reply back at all (thank you for that!)..and it made me bit more frustrated but I learned to never give up. And especially in Thailand I must keep my calm.

the Thai friends I have , have done very much for me and I am so grateful for that. The Thai embassy helped me as well as good as they could and still do. The Thai embassy in The Hague ...let's not talk about them! :^o

All my life I have longed for my family to be found...I have had a very tough youth and childhood. but I don't want to talk much about that if you don't mind. that's the past and I have to live with the things that happened to me.

in 2008 I went to the Dutch court to recall my adoption and after a hard fight it was granted by 3 judges in high court. I was the first adoptee who was granted after so many years..and fortunate some others were granted as well because of my case. my lawyer that time said 'I opened the eyes of the Dutch government in cases of recalling adoptions and probably the Dutch constitution law will change of this'.

I have been searching for so long..with help of a former police officer and his wife from Udonthani I found my father around the year 2008. they went to visit him to verify and I was so happy. I have so many questions unanswered ...

but unfortunately he got killed in a motorcycle accident some time after. all hopes were lost.

with help of another friend that time 'a friend from the Netherlands and his Thai wife' and the Thai embassy ..I tried to get in contact with the Thai family. but apparently the widow of my late father blocks all contact with the family...probably because I have been adopted illegally in the past. lose face in Thailand??

since a couple of years I am residing in Belgium and I have contacted the Thai embassy in Brussels for help too. They came with a total different story ..but that set aside.

So I am getting myself ready to go to Thailand for the first time. I am planning to visit Thailand in 2016 for close to a year probably. Most important is to find my Thai family. and than making a grand tour thru Thailand and visiting other countries nearby as well. and I am thinking strongly to move back to my birth country of Thailand eventually. I'm done here in Europe..Belgium, the Netherlands..I have the best wife I can get..she is the biggest support and hopefully she wants to move with me as well eventually. (but she thinks of Thailand as poor and 3rd world country :shock: ). first year want to travel around and looking where I want to live in Thailand. Most likely somewhere along the beach and in a big city.

First few weeks I have meetings with the Thai government and the Thai ambassador and Dutch embassy too. This will all be arranged by my contacts from the Thai embassy in Bruxelles. (in order to get my Thai passport and Thai ID card). Then I want to spent 2-3 months max on finding as much information about my Thai family and try to get in contact with them. I have some addresses given by the Thai embassy. And I have some Thai friends who will help me as much as they can too. But they have also their lives and jobs/ family life.

my request: I am looking for a person m/w age: 20-40 who wants to assist me with translating Thai to EN or Dutch. Who is willing an can travel with me to the official offices.

AND I am looking for a personal guide/ translator who also can help me trying to find my Thai family. most searching will be done in the Udonthani area because apparently I come from a little village Kutchap. I prefer a woman because my friends from the Netherlands they found elderly women in the village who knew more information about my past and what has happened at that time but they were only willing to talk to a woman my friend said.

I am also looking for a private chauffeur who knows the Udonthani area very well. (man/woman)

I also would like to find people who are living in Udonthani and especially Kutchap and maybe they can help me finding my family too.

I have some information about my Thai family ..not much. I have a photo of my late father and his wife. but nothing about my mother. I have some addresses of my brothers and sisters living in the Udonthani area I guess. * thru pm I can give the addresses and more info if required.

* all travel expenses, food & drinks and accomodation will be paid for of course. I will probably stay in hotels or serviced apartments.

People who are interested in the 'job' for translating/ personal guide or chauffeur can contact me by pm svp! I would like to get to know each other first thru Facebook or skype chat.

probably I will move to Thailand in aug-sept 2016.

thank you all for listening to my private matters and hopefully someone is willing to help me. I speak several languages Dutch, english, french, german, some Spanish and Irabic, japanese bit and learning Thai. but prefer EN or Dutch. (otherwise my wife can't read the messages as well lol)

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 22, 2015, 5:20 pm

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news, BUT.........your mother, step mother, what ever, already told you, not so many words, that she doesn't want to have contact with you, if I'm reading this correctly.

AND.............your wife is correct, the majority of Thailand if poor and 3rd world. It has some modern things, but not a modern country. Still can't provide clean water and electric to everyone. You get plenty of 'help' from the locals, which will be happy to help, as will ha and sip baht you as much as they can along the way.

With the main person you wish to contact, not wanting to be contacted, I think you will be a bit heartbroken and wasted quite a bit of time and money in the process. If you find, and they accept that, then what. Guessing not many still alive or interested in meeting you, unless wanting to borrow money. Seriously. A lot of time and resources to invest, for people, you don't know and have never met, or can even talk to in their native language.

Sorry, as this is a bit of a cold reply, but I think realistic. Hope to be proved dead wrong, but doubtful. Expats, unless fluent in Thai, don't exactly mix that well with family, and they live here. Many Thais don't mix well with family, too busy living, and many families, are scattered all over the country, where ever the work is.

Good Luck to you, as I've tried to help a couple people making the same inquiries, even driving up and down sois the next province over, trying to find relatives with names and addresses, though not very fruitful results. In your case, looking for people that don't want to be found doesn't sound enjoyable.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 22, 2015, 5:26 pm

If you have met your father you should have been given at least some names. Tracking down your Birth Certificate even with only your Fathers Name shouldn't be too hard. Good luck ....

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 22, 2015, 6:17 pm

straight to Kutchap - Thai Public Admin office for that Province , with your birth cert.

Try to get the ID Card numbers, then a search of the ID Cards, is it still active ?, they do expire and need replacing, with the registered land title etc

I imagine this has been done already though ??

JohnathanDoe

Post by JohnathanDoe » October 22, 2015, 7:18 pm

hi thanx for the reply...I have the last known addresses of my brothers and sisters in my possession. given by the Thai embassy so that's a good leading point.

but for the rest of the family?? aunts/ uncles etc...nothing. I only have the name of my mother.

I know most important is to come to Thailand myself...first arrange all my official businesses and collect more intel on my family.

I have heard of a tv programme in Thailand like in the Netherlands/ Belgium they are helping to find lost family? I contacted several tv network channels but not even a reply?..

my birth certificates I have in my possession are falsified because my adoption was illegal.

I am still fighting to clear this up but ..it is for the Thai government clearly impossible to find out the truth and easier to copy the ID information. but that's another thing....don't want to get into this further..no use. acceptance. ;)

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » October 23, 2015, 12:08 am

I really hope you find your family and get closure on things missing in your life. Good luck with your search

JohnathanDoe

Post by JohnathanDoe » October 23, 2015, 12:17 am

Thank you Grievous...I hope so too.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 23, 2015, 6:52 am

you have all you need already.....a photo of your father, your brothers and sisters address, the village of Kutchap..
if you found your father and knew his name, then there will be a wedding certificate of sorts with mothers name on it, and/or his and wifes name entered into amphur office records for wedding, land or residence where they lived..her name should be there.

everyone of legal age has an offical ID card..
kutchap police maybe retired police from that office may know something ..follow the her name and ID card...

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 23, 2015, 7:01 am

my wife is from kutchap. not a huge place. she's not lived there for quite some time. but whenever we go she seems to know everyone. one of the best places for information strangely would be the local market . one small problem is , someone might say this is my sister, which could mean it's her sister, her auntie, her nice or just someone who grew up and went to the same school. also records out in the small villages can be sparse. my wife's great grandmother died last year, no one even had a clue how old she was. saying that kutchap people seem to be friendly and helpful, and being there I think you might find a huge family . another problem though is thai people just drop their names and make up new ones quite regular, something to do with unlucky names or some black magic voodoo stuff. anyway I fully understand your need to find your roots, good luck
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 23, 2015, 8:55 am

if located in Kutchap, doesn't seem like you'll have any problems locating. Small main town, farming amphur. You seemt to have it all sorted out, and just a translator to assist, as you state, seems to be all that's needed.

Chok Di

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » October 23, 2015, 8:57 am

Kudos to you JD for your diligence and perseverance. There are many members on this forum who live or have Kutchap connections. Hopefully they will step up and help out. Kutchap is a small town and I would think a visit there would prove fruitful. Good luck with your search.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » October 23, 2015, 12:23 pm

12345 wrote:if located in Kutchap, doesn't seem like you'll have any problems locating. Small main town, farming amphur.
Kutchap is sometimes mistaken as just the town you drive through going west from Udon, but as an Amphur it covers quite an area with 7, I think, Tambon's and some 100 or more Moobahn's. Would take some time driving round and finding them all to ask questions of locals...

JD - PM sent

DRILLER
udonmap.com

Post by DRILLER » October 23, 2015, 12:57 pm

it appears the op has given up already.

the mother of the op may not have been a wife of the father & the many "no replies" hes encountered is suspicious.

if the op is still reading this thread, i would go to the police with names you have & ask to do a search of those names to see if any records exist & if they do & you can access them then they will probably be more informative than anything else.

[-o<
temptation is a .....

JohnathanDoe

Post by JohnathanDoe » October 23, 2015, 3:33 pm

giving up is no option for me but thanx for the message. I've come too far with all of this.. thanx to all messages.

yes most important is to find a translator/ personal guide and a private chauffeur who knows the area very well (and with a valid driving license too lol).

and finding a nice accomodation for 2-3 months in Udonthani centre will be good too. are there any serviced apartments, apartments for short term rent or hotels downtown Udonthani with a full fitness center and good restaurant? maybe close to all restaurants/ local market, shopping or a big shopping mall? (streetfood is good and cheap). was thinking of max 20/30.000 tbh per month if this will be sufficient enough? most important for myself is early morning 5-7 working out in the gym and a good breakfast to start my day.

what would all of you recommend me..buying a nice vehicle 4x4 or renting one? I will stay for a long time in Thailand. I have heard and read on the internet that 2nd hand cars not really an option is and quite expensive?? do any of you know the website 'thaibaht sold'?

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 23, 2015, 3:41 pm

search internet Kavin Buri Hotel
new, has fitness facilities, close to shopping mall and center

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » October 23, 2015, 3:48 pm

I would suggest you contact the following UM members who asked all this earlier this year.

Gkobal Media

Uvgotuts

Shouldnt be too hard to set up some communications there.

JohnathanDoe

Post by JohnathanDoe » October 23, 2015, 4:13 pm

thanx already looked it up..seems nice hotel. will do thanx.

Kimman71

Post by Kimman71 » October 26, 2015, 7:41 am

Hi Jonathan Doe
Please send me some information to [email protected]
I know what you are doing and going through I did the same a few years ago.I found my family and all that.
Let's talk in Emails..
Cheers
Kim

Return to “Open Forum”