STOP with the chilli peppers!!!

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
vincemunday
udonmap.com

Re: STOP with the chilli peppers!!!

Post by vincemunday » February 7, 2017, 4:17 pm

My wife's restaurant uses plastic plates too but they aren't scratched etc and she washes and dries up properly, she doesn't use the stack it high and do it all in one hit as is the norm here. Personally I would no more buy the Q veg any more than i would the organic stuff at home so that isn't an issue for me. If anyone is down Soi Jintakarm I wholly recommend the wife's food, she's a fabulous cook and she speaks very good English, she's about 100 meters on the left after the canal heading towards Udon Map, just look for the orange sign on the kerb.

The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 7, 2017, 4:27 pm

Liam, If you are putting Singha in "the hot water thing" I'm not surprised you itch after taking a shower ...... it's pretty lousy beer, but i'm sure if you put it in the "hot water thing" the only benefit may be that it will descale the inside. it's not going to make you smell better ..... stick to your Brut33 :-s

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 7, 2017, 4:30 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Vince there was a thread a couple of months back with some report about Thai food and failing to pass normal (Western) standards. The "Q" stuff fared no better than any of the non "Q" when sent and tested in the UK (where they test for about twice as many chemicals as in Thailand). As you always say ..... yer pays yer money and takes yer choice :lol:

The one ridiculous thing that gets me when eating out here, is not the food, or its quality or lack of, it's what we are given to eat off. It leaves me cold when we stop by the road for a bite to be given a plastic plate. Said plate will always have thousands of knife or fork scratches which harbour god knows what, and you sit there eating and watching the previous customers plates being "washed" in a bowl of pre used cold water and placed in the sun to dry. I know after all these years I should have overcome this morbid fear, and I'm pretty sure my stomach has already produced its own counter measures due to the lack of delhi belly over the last few years, but It's in my head and I cant get it out 8-[ Why oh why when you have a bbq and gas rings there, cant they at least use hot clean water to wash up the dishes and utensils :-&
\

Yeah.. nice promo for wife restaurant Vince for sure.. (WHY do they call cafes with simple food "restaurants".. I dont get .. but whatever).. Opposite my internet cafe (blatant promo) are 3 street food peeps.. NO water supply.. washing in buckets.. in the ice they store their cold bottles and take the same ice to make coconut drinks etc.. (They wee next to their shops on open ground and THEN go turn fish n bbq chicken with unwashed hands.. we can FEEL the bacteria crawling across the road.. ;-).. ) WORSE is when they have a bad day.. like our neighbours.. bung the stock in a cold box.. and then recycle it on the first victims they see the next day..
For sure we are in Thailand.. and live by thai goalposts.. but like Statto.. I agree.. fail safe standard health standards.. nope.. JUST watched our chicken seller over the road.. go for a piss.. THEN clean his teeth with a pic.. spit it INTO the BBQ (really).. not wash hands.. and then reload BBQ with bare hands n new chicken from YESTERDAY into the BBQ!.. so easy... we dont buy.. but wonder how many he kills with clearly rampant bacteria.. good reality TV show opposite our shop!

A few bits of porcelain.. like Statto.. would have me out there more often. Just sayin.. what do I know.. ;-)

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 7, 2017, 4:32 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Liam, If you are putting Singha in "the hot water thing" I'm not surprised you itch after taking a shower ...... it's pretty lousy beer, but i'm sure if you put it in the "hot water thing" the only benefit may be that it will descale the inside. it's not going to make you smell better ..... stick to your Brut33 :-s
WATER you numpty.. but as usual you made me smile.. and you knew it really..Forums should really ALL be about jokes n smiles.. :-)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 7, 2017, 5:29 pm

So the original complaint was about the (over) use of chili peppers:

I eat hotter than my wife (not years ago, but now), but much less hot than many Thais. I've seen people shovel chili powder into their morning bowl of noodles and chomp on green chilies after dipping them into shrimp paste. It's all a matter of taste.
Occasionally when I'm out and about on my own and want a plate of fiery basil beef over rice, I'm asked if I 'want it hot'. It took me a while to find the right answer........'make it the way you make it for Thai people' does the trick. That said, the small shops immediately next to the mosque on Sri Chom Cheurn make basil beef that'll blow your pants off. And the places are usually packed with younger folks at lunchtime. Good stuff.....but bring a fire extinguisher.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 7, 2017, 5:32 pm

parrot wrote:So the original complaint was about the (over) use of chili peppers:

I eat hotter than my wife (not years ago, but now), but much less hot than many Thais. I've seen people shovel chili powder into their morning bowl of noodles and chomp on green chilies after dipping them into shrimp paste. It's all a matter of taste.
Occasionally when I'm out and about on my own and want a plate of fiery basil beef over rice, I'm asked if I 'want it hot'. It took me a while to find the right answer........'make it the way you make it for Thai people' does the trick. That said, the small shops immediately next to the mosque on Sri Chom Cheurn make basil beef that'll blow your pants off. And the places are usually packed with younger folks at lunchtime. Good stuff.....but bring a fire extinguisher.
My wife's eyes turn to 3rd world peoples.. or vampires.. not sure which.. but as parrot says.. fire extinguisher.. n put loo roll in fridge.. there seems to be no overnight pacifity.. ;-)
Last edited by Liam Dale on February 7, 2017, 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » February 7, 2017, 5:32 pm

I didn't have to tell my missus to go easy on the spicy food. She just understood I like the flavor but not munching on the chili itself. She herself is a true Isaan girl and cannot go without chilli.

Good to see the thread early on reach nearly 15% of posts by members to actually mention the subject matter, with only chemical, hygiene etc and blatant advertisement of shops the main theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 7, 2017, 8:03 pm

I can't imagine Thai food without chilli. I love them. The hotter the better so I will be looking into those cafes on Soi Si Chomchuen.
Any others places to recommend for really spicy food?

I am in England and no matter what chillies I use from Scotch Bonnet to Dorset Naga to the Mouse ---- chillies I bring back from Thailand or how many I use I cannot get my dishes hot enough. Only in Thailand is the food spicy.
See you in April.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 8, 2017, 5:55 pm

I was told by Thais in the USA, the small Thai Chile is known as "the firecracker". I then grew them, in my garden. But these are not chilis to eat, they are used to put in soups and other thai foods for flavorings. Like to make Som Tum, they add so much spice, but you take the risk if you chew and swallow one.
NEVER chew a Thai Chili!!
Actually, let me back up a bit. I remember making my Kidney bean, spicy chili for the Chili cook-offs in Florida every year. The Firemen always seemed to beat me out (political gesture) every time. My chili was the "bomb". but I always humbled myself and let them get the trophy.
But, Listen!!! If you cook with them,and love them, always chop them up into tiny parts, never big parts, Add to anything and you will find a "new love".
Chop a couple dozen chilis in a blender, put it on a piece of meat, marinate, remove the chilis (use them to add back into your sauce later, and you will have one "rockin" piece of wonderful.
Again, big pieces make you crazy, chop it into "salsa" and you will never take the burn.Just the goodness of Gods chilis to us.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 9, 2017, 9:21 pm

panick, listen....the smaller the chilis are cut or ground, the least you will taste them. Sometimes, not at all.
If you want the fire, have to be in bigger chunks.
I would like to include a great salsa rescipe, so easy and nice. Take a few green & red (for color) chilis, add 1 white onion, some nice fresh tomatos and a small amount of fresh cilantro, (maybe a bell pepper) chop them in a blender, serve with some nice corn chips. Or put on the side of fried potatos and even eggs. Wonderful!.

Return to “Open Forum”