STOP with the chilli peppers!!!

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
panick
udonmap.com

STOP with the chilli peppers!!!

Post by panick » February 5, 2017, 9:49 pm

Now I as everyone else enjoys a good meal. WHY does my wife has to ruin it with chilli peppers?
Fish tastes of fish.
Pork tastes of pork.
Chicken tastes of chicken.
Beef tastes of beef.
Cheese tastes of cheese.

WHY does everything have to taste of CHILLI PEPPERS???

I cook an English breakfast, toast and marmalade, scrambled eggs, full roast dinner, steak dinner, fish and chips, macaroni cheese, cottage pie, sweet and sour ribs, Chinese or even Indonesian ... WHERE'S THE F"ING chilli peppers?

STOP throwing them in to cover the fact that you CAN'T cook and they over power the food we're eating!!!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: !

Bring back Saint

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: STOP with the chilli peppers!!!

Post by stattointhailand » February 5, 2017, 10:07 pm

Funny that, It brought back visions of what my mum used to say about all that "foreign muck" we used to bring home from the Chinese/Indian take away ....... "If they used proper meat and fresh ingredients they wouldn't have to disguise the taste with all them spices

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 5, 2017, 10:25 pm

My wife is a fabulous cook and thankfully throws plenty of chilli in most things she cooks. Thank the Lord we all like different things eh!
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » February 6, 2017, 4:33 am

Although I enjoy English food it can be quite bland at times.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 6, 2017, 5:17 am

Having had a meeting where the representatives of Thai exporters was present, I was amazed that nearly 95% of Thai Chillies cannot be exported as they are too bloody contaminated with all sorts of things.
Thai governments check only for 200 hundred additives or fertilisers or other contaminents, but to export to the USA or Europe they have to be checked at over 400 etc:, therefore Thai foodstuffs often fail.
What gets me is that the Thais eat them with gay abandon, perhaps that is why they are always ill with stomach
problems.

skinner
udonmap.com

Post by skinner » February 6, 2017, 6:29 am

panick wrote:Now I as everyone else enjoys a good meal. WHY does my wife has to ruin it with chilli peppers?
Fish tastes of fish.
Pork tastes of pork.
Beef tastes of beef.
Cheese tastes of cheese.

I cook an English breakfast, toast and marmalade, scrambled eggs, full roast dinner, steak dinner, fish and chips, macaroni cheese, cottage pie, sweet and sour ribs, Chinese or even Indonesian ... WHERE'S THE F"ING chilli peppers?

STOP throwing them in to cover the fact that you CAN'T cook and they over power the food we're eating!!!!!!!

Shouldn't you be telling your wife you don't like spicy food, not us ?

Faraday
udonmap.com

Post by Faraday » February 6, 2017, 9:34 am

There's a guy on tv, that complains he's tired of eating rice with every meal, & asks for suggestions.

Like the op, he seems unable to tell his wife this. :lol:

Btw op, do you put pepper on your food? Bet you do....555

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 6, 2017, 11:37 am

To be honest Paul, I have over the years found that far more Farang get dodgy stomachs than Thai, in reality I've found the Thai constitution to be rather robust. Of course, some do purposely give themselves bad stomachs by eating very spicy som tam in the belief it will keep them slim, I don't know if it works but if it does I'm going to plant a few papaya trees. On another vein though Paul, I don't think I've ever heard you say anything good about Thais or Thailand, really what are you doing here if you have so many problems with everything?
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 6, 2017, 12:30 pm

Spicy foods in Thailand is whats makes many travel from around the world to enjoy the cuisine experience here.
Unfortunately, Issan is getting kind of bad with the traditional flavors, hot, sour, salty, sweet.
My all time favorite has been Narm Tok. Very nice.
When Thailand finishes transitioning to Western cultures (nose, whiter, big boobs, blond hair, more fat, ect) will you be happy?
For me, I will be looking for another place to touch down. Seems to me, the belly problems come from spoiled or raw food & meat. Never had a problem. Chillis are very important to healthy living. Of course many don't understand, you should not eat alot of chilis, followed by alot of citris fruit. Thats a combination of "acid on acid" in your stomach.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 6, 2017, 2:32 pm

The only time I've been really ill in Thailand was after eating in a well known Steak house in Central Plaza. I've eaten from all sorts of food barrows in all sorts of places around The country without incident. I've never understood the desire for
Thai girls (and boys) to make themselves look more like westerners, in my eye at least they are the most beautiful women in the world, I love my wife's little Issan nose and I'd hate it if she went under the knife albeit her choice in the long run. I agree about the food too, I've notice everything becoming much sweeter over the last 10 years, not to my taste at all.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 7, 2017, 10:57 am

In response, it was not me having a problem with Thailand , but the exporters ( Thais ) were stating a scientific fact, and agreeing with the membership ( mainly Thais ) that the reason for most stomach illnesses is the fact that Thai farmers use too much additives and weed-killers and pesticides. So before you harangue me try looking at the bigger picture. I eat mainly Foreign food because of the fact Thai food upsets me, maybe it is because of the contaminates, I have no idea but I do not like spicy food at ALL even Indian. , but no-way do I dislike Thais, or Thailand .

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 7, 2017, 12:29 pm

panick wrote:Now I as everyone else enjoys a good meal. WHY does my wife has to ruin it with chilli peppers?
Fish tastes of fish.
Pork tastes of pork.
Beef tastes of beef.
Cheese tastes of cheese.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if she needs to add chilli peppers to a Roast or scrambled egg, S & S or cottage pie that YOU have cooked, she is just trying to tell you, that it is YOU that cant cook :-" :lol:

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 7, 2017, 12:38 pm

Hi Paul, wasn't meaning to harangue you or otherwise, apologies if it came over that way but it sort of amazes me that a lot of people NEVER say anything good about Thailand but persist in staying here, it's a little bit beyond me. I guess I see myself as a guest in someone else's country and I feel privileged that they let me stay here, and yes while they have some issues it's up to us that fit around them rather than them fit around us, some it would seem think that it's up to the Thai to accommodate us in a fashion we find acceptable, I don't see it that way at all.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 7, 2017, 1:00 pm

I've been doing a little bit of research and there are two things to look out for when you're buying veg, one is the Q logo, this stands for Quality and no pesticides are used while growing BUT some chemicals might be. The other thing to look our for is Pak Plod Sarn Pid, this means organic and that no pesticides OR chemicals were used during growing. Apparently 42% of ALL vegetables grown in Thailand would fail the EU standards for acceptable pesticide levels, but is that because they set the bar too high? Certainly some might think so. In the long run, you pay your money and you take your choice, buy organic or don't, the choice is pretty much the same at home too.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 7, 2017, 1:32 pm

Vince.. your family has restaurant etc.. and you are researching.. washing veggies.. salad, tomatoes etc.. in TAP water.. defeats the object? Im ok with boiling pots, brocolli et al.. but what about the plain wash for stuff not cooked? What you think? I've only been ill twice in 5 years here.. one was evil ill.. mushrooms.. ironic cos I could detect a sort of bitter underlying taste.. my missis reckoned "din"..(soil) but I think more than buffalo poo. I used to munch these raw.. but prob a bad plan..

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 7, 2017, 3:16 pm

I'm not sure why it is that my family having a restaurant should prevent me from research any more than it did in the UK, we had a restaurant there too and I researched food hygiene, contamination and pathogens, it interests me, weird eh? But what it did do is allow me to pass my level 3 hygiene course which is about the same as the people who go round checking out restaurants for councils in the UK and my wife having been exposed to the prior mentioned overly strict EU regulations makes me quietly confident that her standards are much higher than most. In any case, no matter where you eat in Thailand the vast majority will use the same Thai grown vegetables, if we all used imported veg then the cooked food would most likely double if not triple in price. Just one point, it's very unlikely that washing veg in plain water will remove pesticides, one should use a potassium permanganate solution and rinse repeatedly to remove as much as you can, but i'm sure you knew that already.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 7, 2017, 3:25 pm

vincemunday wrote:I'm not sure why it is that my family having a restaurant should prevent me from research any more than it did in the UK, we had a restaurant there too and I researched food hygiene, contamination and pathogens, it interests me, weird eh? But what it did do is allow me to pass my level 3 hygiene course which is about the same as the people who go round checking out restaurants for councils in the UK and my wife having been exposed to the prior mentioned overly strict EU regulations makes me quietly confident that her standards are much higher than most. In any case, no matter where you eat in Thailand the vast majority will use the same Thai grown vegetables, if we all used imported veg then the cooked food would most likely double if not triple in price. Just one point, it's very unlikely that washing veg in plain water will remove pesticides, one should use a potassium permanganate solution and rinse repeatedly to remove as much as you can, but i'm sure you knew that already.
Dang.. who said anything about "prevention of research".. I was appreciating your experience.. but whatever.. potassium permangante.. ugg.. is it THAT bad here.. I know we dont get on as peoples.. not important..dont care.. .. was trying to learn and apply YOUR experience/knowledge to our private living.. "big boy".. :-)

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 7, 2017, 3:49 pm

In all honesty I don't know how bad things are, I do know however that the EU regulations are excessive, for example on my allergens list I used to have to list that there is wheat in bread, milk in white tea and that there are sesame seeds on a sesame seed bun so it doesn't surprise me that food fails their idiotic regulations. This is of course part of the reason why so many small businesses are drowning under paperwork. The solution has more uses and is quite widely used worldwide already, you just never hear about it https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.livest ... ent=safari .

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 7, 2017, 3:57 pm

So.. what do others think? I got dowzed from both ends by some mushrooms.. which I REALLY like to eat.. do forum members wash their salad stuff in tap water.. or bottled.. Euro regs.. I hear what Vinci says.. he is wise.. but not relevant here.. we are in Thailand! :-)

I dont have any prob with water here for teeth cleaning,washing.. but showering seems to make me itch! We put Singha in the hot water thing.. and of course only drink bottled.. cept we have a water filter installation for cooking et al at home.. what others do/think?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 7, 2017, 4:05 pm

Vince there was a thread a couple of months back with some report about Thai food and failing to pass normal (Western) standards. The "Q" stuff fared no better than any of the non "Q" when sent and tested in the UK (where they test for about twice as many chemicals as in Thailand). As you always say ..... yer pays yer money and takes yer choice :lol:

The one ridiculous thing that gets me when eating out here, is not the food, or its quality or lack of, it's what we are given to eat off. It leaves me cold when we stop by the road for a bite to be given a plastic plate. Said plate will always have thousands of knife or fork scratches which harbour god knows what, and you sit there eating and watching the previous customers plates being "washed" in a bowl of pre used cold water and placed in the sun to dry. I know after all these years I should have overcome this morbid fear, and I'm pretty sure my stomach has already produced its own counter measures due to the lack of delhi belly over the last few years, but It's in my head and I cant get it out 8-[ Why oh why when you have a bbq and gas rings there, cant they at least use hot clean water to wash up the dishes and utensils :-&

Return to “Open Forum”