Is Thailand really one of the cheapest countries in the world to retire???

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
milkman
udonmap.com

Is Thailand really one of the cheapest countries in the world to retire???

Post by milkman » February 20, 2017, 1:22 am

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/watch/t ... ocid=edgsp Might have been true 10 years ago, but nowadays, there must be dozens of cheaper places. Maybe if they made a list of cheap places that are fun to retire to?

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Re: Is Thailand really one of the cheapest countries in the world to retire???

Post by Hoopoe » February 20, 2017, 7:06 am

i think that VID is miles of the mark , or really dated , iv'e just returned from Goa India , cheap as chips if your prepared to put up with garbage everywhere , that's just Goa ,i'd bet even cheaper elsewhere in the country ,there are 4 country's that are attached to Thailand that are cheaper than Thailand , let's see what other posters make of this , a lot maybe far more traveled than i ,

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 20, 2017, 8:14 am

Malaysia is more expensive, Laos about the same, Cambodia slightly cheaper, China I do not know and I suspect Burma is cheaper although I will not really know until the summer.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » February 20, 2017, 12:01 pm

Having just spent time in Guilin/Nanning/Yangshuo/Beihai area in the south of China, the cost of accommodation/food services/ travel has certainly increased since last visit in 2012. For this autonomous region, it is certainly is in a hurry and to think, they need western tourists in my view this is a myth, as the number of Chinese nationals travelling as tourists is enormous. My chinese friend has estimated that 10% of the population are millionaires. When put into context, that is five times the population of Australia

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 20, 2017, 12:53 pm

cheap is relative.. As the other poster wrote about Goa, "cheap as chips but garbage everywhere." I guess it boils down to what lifestyle you want to live and what you can afford to live.. You certainly could live here in Thailand back out in Ban Bungabeu in an old style Thai house with minimal western comforts for easily 10,000 baht a month... But, there's not too many folks that want that..
Dave

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » February 21, 2017, 6:39 am

Getting more expensive for sure, but losing 20% value in my home currency does not help.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 21, 2017, 11:04 am

newtovillagelife wrote:Getting more expensive for sure, but losing 20% value in my home currency does not help.
Ain't that the truth,Finding a bit more difficult in the last 6 Months or So :roll: 8-[ 8-[

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 24, 2017, 2:04 pm

I think it depends on your lifestyle. In Cambodia, booze, food and cigarettes are a lot cheaper. Hotels are also cheap. I don't know about long term rentals because I had no intention of staying long term. According to the expats there, visas are also easier than in Thailand. I seriously considered settling in Sihanoukville but at my age, medical care was pretty important. I didn't want to die on a bare hard bench with flies crawling on me.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » February 24, 2017, 2:20 pm

Living in Esarn region can be cheap, I know plenty guys living a great life in Sakon Nakhon all in around 30,000/month, rent, eating out, few beers but most have nice wife's who work a little too and add to that.

The more you earn or have the more expensive toys you have, the more you spend eating drinking out, and the more you spend traveling around.

I wish I can spend just that amount but I seem to go through a lot more

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 24, 2017, 3:51 pm

I don't know about the other surrounding countries but me and Mrs M went to Laos and was surprised how expensive it is there, about 100 baht for a meal we'd pay 50 baht for here and beer Laos was very expensive, and yes I made the stupid mistake of changing some money to Kips....Don't!
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

felixcat
udonmap.com

Post by felixcat » February 24, 2017, 4:05 pm

For myself, it was the abundance of great foods and awsome, amazing things that brought me on my 1st trip via the Amazing Thailand group. $999 for airfare and return, 3 different )3 star hotels) and trips to the floating markets, Grand temple, and many red light streets and many counterfiet items for 'Criminal" tourists to buy.
Thanks Thailand.
Are their cheaper countries? Well, you need to ask questions....my own,..does another country protect your bank deposits.
Can you accuire a passport relatively easy? Do they have a thriving and aboundant economy?
And several others.
Now, I have plan 2,3,4 in order. Yes, There are countries that offer you citizen ship to move there with very little and become citizens
I will not post these places on here, this is too important news. if you know me , you can contact me. But I will not post vital info here.
What do you get from Thailand? Perverts get young girls, and boys here, yourr charges go up every year. Those who marry, what do you get? You get one more year and if you financices fail, your sperated from your wifr and kids and may have too pay for them from another country.
None of it makes any sense, just profits for those corrupt officials.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » February 24, 2017, 5:26 pm

Went to Bali last year. Easily 50% cheaper than Phuket - Samui as a tourist destination. Supermarket shopping in Kuta cheaper than Thailand for fresh fruit and veg and staples. Booze, smokes and restaurant food cheaper too. Downside - full of bloody Australians. :-"
Watch Me!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 24, 2017, 5:50 pm

vincemunday wrote:I don't know about the other surrounding countries but me and Mrs M went to Laos and was surprised how expensive it is there, about 100 baht for a meal we'd pay 50 baht for here and beer Laos was very expensive, and yes I made the stupid mistake of changing some money to Kips....Don't!
I was surprised too until I was told Laos cannot produce enough to feed it's growing population and all the visitors, meat, eggs, milk ,just about everything is imported from Thailand. which of course is heavily taxed. and the real killer is renting commercial places. not cheap . it was cheap 10 years back. oh and greed. forgot that pushes up prices too.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 24, 2017, 7:26 pm

In Laos the Chinese have come in and dumped piles of money into the economy inflating things.. I'd imagine that back country Lao folk are still absolutely dirt poor where their Vientiane brethren are living somewhat better. I lived in Vientiane 2002-2007 and even back then it was common to see fruit and veggies sold on the street that were brought over from Thailand.. A big bottle of Beer Lao was around 15-20 baht.. Meals at the wide variety of foreign cuisine places was quite reasonable. Nowadays of course, any of that simple era is long gone with the city completely overwhelmed with traffic and people..
Dave

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Post by Sakhonnick » February 24, 2017, 7:31 pm

I've only been in Savanakhet in Loas, everything more expensive some things double like hotel standard, but beer Loas was super cheap 45baht a big bottle at bar

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » February 24, 2017, 7:39 pm

Yes I saw lots of evidence of the Chinese influx, whole villages of upmarket hi rise apartments for them only, no Laotian allowed there, our Laos driver told me so. Can't say I noticed the traffic or masses of people, I found their driving to be much better than here and the night market was busy but nothing like UD Town. When I was there the locals were telling me that the other areas were much nicer than Vientiane but were desperately poor, I shall go back at some point and see those places for myself but I think I will drive, it can't be any worse than driving through Calais.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » April 20, 2017, 3:34 am

Not sure about other places in Southeast Asia.But it's easy for me to go thru A million baht A year in Thailand.That includes travel.

Neil_Hines

Post by Neil_Hines » April 26, 2017, 5:38 pm

marjamlew wrote:Went to Bali last year. Easily 50% cheaper than Phuket - Samui as a tourist destination. Supermarket shopping in Kuta cheaper than Thailand for fresh fruit and veg and staples. Booze, smokes and restaurant food cheaper too. Downside - full of bloody Australians. :-"
:lol: great reply friend. =D>

Return to “Open Forum”