Top three things you miss from home?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: Top three things you miss from home?

Post by Zidane » August 17, 2018, 2:40 pm

747man wrote:
August 17, 2018, 12:53 pm
tamada wrote:
August 17, 2018, 12:27 pm
kopkei wrote:
August 17, 2018, 11:45 am
well after 18 years in los ,i do not really miss anything from my home country....
i can even not get to 3 ....
maybe the longer day's of light , here always dark between 18-19h ..
so not missing anything is also a reason for never going back ...
my life is in Thailand now.... ;)
If that's 18 years in LOS and never visiting your homeland, maybe you've forgotten what's to miss?
Tam,He's WAITING For LiverFOOL to win The Premiership,So He Might be here ANOTHER 18 Years..... :lol: :lol:
Slightly off topic,for which I apologise,but I never knew you were a Liverpool fan,kopkei ?? :-s

Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 17, 2018, 2:53 pm

completely agree with your sentiments about starting a new way of life and embracing the new culture kopkei, but i'm not sure that i can or even want to completely erase the past from my memory. I have good and bad memories of my childhood, good and bad memories of my working life and previous marriages together with places I have lived worked and spent holidays. I hope to spend the rest of my life here (I'm sure several udonmap posters hope I do .... quickly =; ) but it is not possible to say if I will or will not. What I can say is that the memories I have from the previous years here are some of my most treasured ones, but not the only ones. 60 odd years of memories and experiences have gone into making me who I am not just the last 15 or 20. Being in denial that I had any life before Thailand would not be fair to the thousands of people that I have known over the years or to the many places I have been during that time,, so I am happy to have my memory jogged about some of the good things and sometimes the bad things, it doesnt mean I would give up what I have now, coz in no way would I.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » August 17, 2018, 3:01 pm

Well the main thing I miss is the Agricultural shows staged mainly around the East of England. These were a good day out with not only agricultural displays but livestock competitions, craft tents including the WI one with their home made cakes and jams etc, motor shows and my real love the dog shows.Mind you I doubt I could afford to go to one now even if I was back there as i noticed on line the Peterborough one I particuarly liked was charging a massive 15quid per person to get in and no longer had a cheaper rate for pensioners, this compares to a fiver last time I went .So that stays as one of my memories of home now .Never look back is my motto you can almost guarantee to be dissapointed.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 17, 2018, 3:23 pm

Seeing Old Grumpys post, reminded me that I use to get a plate of "Cajun chips" at the Great British Beer Festival Olympia every year. When I last went about 17 years ago they charged GBP 4.50 [-X .......... wonder what they cost now 8-[

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 17, 2018, 3:26 pm

I miss my summer weekends in the UK.

Saturday mornings may have involved a few hours overtime at work followed by the quintessential game of village cricket from 1.00 to 7.30pm then into the nearest village pub for some decent English beer.
Sundays were a round of golf at the private club I belonged to. No riff raff allowed. A few beers in the club house, back home for a roast dinner and feet up to watch the football.

No wonder my wife divorced me. :D :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 17, 2018, 3:32 pm

cheapskate cricket club .......... we had our own bar at the ground, and use to take turns fielding at deep square leg in front of the pavilion/bar (every bowler had to have a deep square leg)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 18, 2018, 9:15 am

kopkei wrote:
August 17, 2018, 2:17 pm
went back 4 times ,last time 5 day's , 4 to many ...
when i made the move to thailand some 18 years ago , i already knew i would have to adapt to a different way of life , different culture , in which i managed very well ,without really missing anything from before,(believe it or not )
i knew i would have to adapt to the thai way of life :D , so i would not end up like many here whining and complaining about all the things that are not exactly as in my home country ...many times after reading some comments here , i wonder why some people still want to stay here with all their complaints and trying to mirror/comparing everything to their country of birth....other culture , other way of life ....
if i didn't feel happy somewhere ,i would leave (as i did from my home country) ,or i would have also become a bitter old (even young) grumpy man as i see many here .... ;)
I can understand that and I wasn't suggesting that being away from home too long is a bad thing. I used to visit home at least twice a year when I was working full-time and my mum and dad were still alive. Things have changed since their passing and the onset of my semi-retirement resulting in only 2 visits in roughly 5 years. I still have my sister and a mate from early Pattaya days down in England but I had long lost having anything in common with my Scottish chums when I opted for further education south of the border before I chose the path of the international gypsy in the oil patch.

Most of the posts here have stuck to the essence of the OP with "things you miss from home" and only a couple have suggested things that are part of life here that are either not so good here compared with back there. That's kinda like having a whine about the bed one has chosen to lie in here IMHO.

Now, as promised, anither musical interlude frae north o' the border.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 18, 2018, 9:18 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
August 17, 2018, 2:36 pm
kopkei wrote:
August 17, 2018, 2:17 pm
went back 4 times ,last time 5 day's , 4 to many ...
when i made the move to thailand some 18 years ago , i already knew i would have to adapt to a different way of life , different culture , in which i managed very well ,without really missing anything from before,(believe it or not )
i knew i would have to adapt to the thai way of life :D , so i would not end up like many here whining and complaining about all the things that are not exactly as in my home country ...many times after reading some comments here , i wonder why some people still want to stay here with all their complaints and trying to mirror/comparing everything to their country of birth....other culture , other way of life ....
if i didn't feel happy somewhere ,i would leave (as i did from my home country) ,or i would have also become a bitter old (even young) grumpy man as i see many here .... ;)
Good post i agree ... when choosing the 3 things you miss if any refer to negative aspects of general life and cultural experiences here then surely we all have to option to move on . i chose my 3 purely on experiences and things impossible to enjoy or get here.
Spot on DM, especially if the things that rile us are things that we haven't a snowballs chance in hell of changing such as Scunny getting promoted.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 18, 2018, 6:32 pm

My Monday through Friday morning meditation group.

Sonoran Mexican food and salsa fresca.

My friends.

ThaiSurfer

Post by ThaiSurfer » August 19, 2018, 5:35 pm

Nothing, or we possibly would have stayed home.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 20, 2018, 9:22 am

Colourful Birds
Baseball
Autumn Leaves
Canadian Football
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » August 20, 2018, 1:27 pm

When I was living in Thailand I missed a decent climate, wine and libraries. Nowadays if I was in Thailand I'd miss the secondhand shops in farangland. I enjoy having a nose through them at the weekends.

I don't really drink enough wine these days for that to be something to be too concerned about.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 20, 2018, 2:18 pm

ThaiSurfer wrote:
August 19, 2018, 5:35 pm
Nothing, or we possibly would have stayed home.
is that another way of saying if you miss something go home ? You know the most hated post on any forum the "if you dont like it go home "
Just about impossible to not miss something from your previous life so i do not believe what you say .
Every person on here misses something . I miss lots of things from uk but if i went back i would miss heaps more from thailand
I miss some foods , my kids ,frosty weather , snow ,safe roads better tv but last time i went home for 10 weeks after 3 weeks i wanted to come back home to thailand cause i missed it more

ThaiSurfer

Post by ThaiSurfer » September 5, 2018, 11:32 am

I must not be as needy of most on here. As stated, do not miss anything. Believe me or not, though you should pass judgement on people you've never met.

No, not another way of saying if you miss something go home. If I thought that, I would have stated that. 'That' would be up to those that miss something, and not my place to pass that judgement, or suggest they leave.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 5, 2018, 8:29 pm

I think i can get everything i want in Thailand except a more pleasant climate .... but many things from home are too expensive here (e.g. wine). Swings and roundabouts, just more that i want in Thailand than UK. Neither is paradise.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 5, 2018, 9:31 pm

ThaiSurfer wrote:
September 5, 2018, 11:32 am
I must not be as needy of most on here. As stated, do not miss anything. Believe me or not, though you should pass judgement on people you've never met.

No, not another way of saying if you miss something go home. If I thought that, I would have stated that. 'That' would be up to those that miss something, and not my place to pass that judgement, or suggest they leave.
Have to say I do feel sorry for you ThaiSurfer, coz if your "home country" (wherever that may have been) was as miserable as to have left you not missing ONE little thing about it you must have had a pretty bad time there. I do hope that you are able to enjoy your life here and that it in some ways makes up for the past.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » September 6, 2018, 11:27 am

There's many, many things I miss from home and the more I think about it the more things I miss, but, and it's a big but, there's an awful lot of things I enjoy here too, I have a great life here, we're doing tons of stuff and as of yet I haven't felt the urge to go back, not even for a holiday...... yet.... I suppose there might come a time but as it is my life is here now, house, business, dogs etc, my missus understandably wants to be near her ageing mum which was pretty much why we moved here in the first place, overall it was a great move which I wouldn't change.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 9, 2018, 11:33 am

OK, for the fellow Brits on here, check out the following. Maybe the places you miss are listed or maybe you want to add them.

https://www.ilivehere.co.uk/

Scunthorpe, England: Their are two things good for Scunthorpe:
1. Scunny utd were beating Chelsea after 8 minutes.
2. It takes about 5 minutes from the town centre to get out of the dump and go to a better place!

Buckie, Scotland: The name Buckie is actually is Gaelic for ” What the F**k is that smell “. When you drive through Buckie, you just want to keep going until you can eventually open your car window again and breath.

Bangor, Wales: Bangor, in short, is a dump. If you’ve ever thought of visiting the city for the pier (windy, wet, cold) or the cathedral (tiny and interesting, but opposed Yates’s and always smelling a bit of pee), or maybe even the new gay pub (the last one was burnt down), let me advise against it.

Newry, Northern Ireland: Located halfway between Dublin and Belfast, Newry is the central hive to two particular types of chav scum…the Skeet, a common street urchin and the Culchie, a wannabe GAA (Gaelic Athletic Association) s**t head who’s idea of a pimped ride is their fathers Ferguson tractor.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 9, 2018, 11:52 am

I heard that it now takes 20 mins to get out of Scunthorpe as the local council have inserted speed slag heaps along all the main dirt tracks

Return to “Open Forum”