Why do the EU need an army? The USA!

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
stereolab
udonmap.com

Re: Why do the EU need an army? The USA!

Post by stereolab » November 11, 2018, 9:34 am

papafarang wrote:
November 10, 2018, 10:53 am
well china ,Russia and the us have armies .why would we be the odd one out . If Trump feels America is paying too much into nato, well they could always just leave ? saves them a fortune and the remaining nato states then re organize to make the European army.. oh yeh we already have an army , plus we can then stick to the deal with Russia and not have America dumping nukes on us so the Russians make us a target. the deal he wants to pull out has no effect on America ,the deal was getting nukes out of Europe.as I said ,just dump America out of nato and we have a ready made army.
A European only Army, without the UK element, would be a complete and utter disaster. I worked at a very high-level NATO Unit, with the highest possible security clearance, it became obvious to me shortly after arriving that the only real input was coming from US UK and Canadian members. Most of the Europeans were, as Churchill put it, "civilians in uniform", Monday to Friday soldiers and airmen. I doubt it has changed much in the intervening years.

In a previous job, I deployed with Harrier Forces, ahead of the supposed frontline in exercise scenarios, we lived in tents or in the back of trucks for 2 weeks in mid-winter in German forests. European Forces deployed with us, simply went home for the weekend. On one mid Summer exercise, we were lucky to be based, still in tents, on a German base, the only personnel on the base after 5pm on Friday, were, "guess who".

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » November 11, 2018, 9:46 am

Perhaps the Europeans read the external threats more benignly? The US, with its military industrial complex, has traditionally been paranoia on stilts.

I have read the real picture as being between the two views although I don't claim to have a special crystal ball.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 11, 2018, 1:46 pm

stereolab wrote:
November 11, 2018, 9:34 am
papafarang wrote:
November 10, 2018, 10:53 am
well china ,Russia and the us have armies .why would we be the odd one out . If Trump feels America is paying too much into nato, well they could always just leave ? saves them a fortune and the remaining nato states then re organize to make the European army.. oh yeh we already have an army , plus we can then stick to the deal with Russia and not have America dumping nukes on us so the Russians make us a target. the deal he wants to pull out has no effect on America ,the deal was getting nukes out of Europe.as I said ,just dump America out of nato and we have a ready made army.
A European only Army, without the UK element, would be a complete and utter disaster. I worked at a very high-level NATO Unit, with the highest possible security clearance, it became obvious to me shortly after arriving that the only real input was coming from US UK and Canadian members. Most of the Europeans were, as Churchill put it, "civilians in uniform", Monday to Friday soldiers and airmen. I doubt it has changed much in the intervening years.

In a previous job, I deployed with Harrier Forces, ahead of the supposed frontline in exercise scenarios, we lived in tents or in the back of trucks for 2 weeks in mid-winter in German forests. European Forces deployed with us, simply went home for the weekend. On one mid Summer exercise, we were lucky to be based, still in tents, on a German base, the only personnel on the base after 5pm on Friday, were, "guess who".
I think NATO -1 would be a much better idea, euro NATO
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » November 11, 2018, 3:27 pm

So basically if we had a EU Army minus the UK we just invade at the weekend and all over in 2 days British Empire restored

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 12, 2018, 11:34 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 40cf2f0243

Feb 2015

The German army has faced a shortage of equipment for years, but the situation has recently become so precarious that some soldiers took matters into their own hands.

On Tuesday, German broadcaster ARD revealed that German soldiers tried to hide the lack of arms by replacing heavy machine guns with broomsticks during a NATO exercise last year. After painting the wooden sticks black, the German soldiers swiftly attached them to the top of armored vehicles, according to a confidential army report which was leaked to ARD.

A defense ministry spokesperson said the use of broomsticks was not a common practice, and that the decision of the involved soldiers was "hard to comprehend." According to the ministry, the armored vehicles were furthermore not supposed to be armed. It remains unclear how many broomsticks were substituted for machine guns.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » November 12, 2018, 9:21 pm

greece is in the sh 1t because the EU lent them huge sums of cash which they cant pay back ,,what did they spend it on? german made weapons systems which they dont really need ..
the only good Tory is a lavatory

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 29, 2018, 8:49 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
November 10, 2018, 9:21 pm
This would be the closest the EU would ever get to having any Army
Where are all the advocates/outspoken EU Countries for an EU Army now.

Russia gives Ukraine a bitch slap over a few ships and NATO and the EU Countries that advocated their own Army (France, Germany, Belgium etc), BOLT and RUN a hundred miles in the opposite direction. What does Ukraine (Kiev) do, it immediately calls for help/support from the West (i.e. the USA).

Dead silence on the EU front. The EU Countries (France, Germany, Belgium, Spain etc), are weak as piss, all noise with no action \:D/ \:D/

Someone should tell Mr. Poroshenko to not hold his breath, waiting on support from the East. =D> =D>

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » November 29, 2018, 11:18 pm

All hat and no cattle those smug Euro peons. Their free ride is over. Qu'ils mangent de la brioche.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

loy
udonmap.com

Post by loy » November 30, 2018, 7:08 am

Return to “Open Forum”