Smart Phone Addiction.

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
SJP17
udonmap.com

Smart Phone Addiction.

Post by SJP17 » March 8, 2019, 1:28 am

Anyone feel like its time to quit the smartphones ?

My take is that ive had enough, i feel its a handy tool at times but more often than not a distraction, so im going back to a basic phone that calls and texts and no camera.

I put a meter of my usage on the phone and was alarmed at the amount of time i was spending on it.

Its definetly a serious social issue that i believe we have not yet seen the full impact off.

Sateeb
udonmap.com

Re: Smart Phone Addiction.

Post by Sateeb » March 8, 2019, 2:04 am

I feel I'm not too attached and I don't bother with Twitter and I only check Faceache now and again.

One thing drives me nuts is people just filming every aspect of their life. There was a thing on BBC a while back and Queen Elizabeth was out and about and the amount of phones and tablets stuck in her face! So they get to see her in the flesh but look at her on their screens?

They could stay at home and do that.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » March 8, 2019, 6:09 am

SJP17 wrote:
March 8, 2019, 1:28 am
Its definetly a serious social issue that i believe we have not yet seen the full impact off.
Amen to that.
People texting while walking across roads, driving, while working, most annoying answering a call or replying to a text while in mid stream conversation. The latter akin to someone interrupting. Some people have zero manners when it comes to phones.
Talk of banning phones altogether in some Aussie schools. High time too ......

Anyone seen the effect of getting an ipad off a four year old at dinner time..?? was on tv here the other night...disgusting behaviour. Parents need a good kick up the kyber...

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 8, 2019, 6:52 am

They worry about A I destroying human life as we know it , yet to me the smart phone is already doing that .

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » March 8, 2019, 8:11 am

saint wrote:
March 8, 2019, 6:52 am
They worry about A I destroying human life as we know it , yet to me the smart phone is already doing that .
Technically people are becoming part cyborg with thier phones.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » March 8, 2019, 9:11 am

I was at a funeral of a friend about a year ago. The monks were lined up in the deceased' house with the widow and a gaggle of womenfolk sitting down to pray. I sat in the back.

Half way through the humma-na-humma-na chanting and one of the monk's phone rings. He took the call mid humma-na. I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. Is nothing sacred? The answer is "no."
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » March 14, 2019, 12:58 am

Nomophobia there calling it , the fear of being without your phone.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » March 14, 2019, 9:26 am

I just can't get worked up with having my eyes glued to the phone. I use my phone for the few calls I make or get. I do check my email and use the camera once in a great while. I like having everything available but, more than 90 percent of the use is for calls. No Line or social crap on my phone.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 14, 2019, 9:44 am

The constant use of a smartphone is definitely a bad habit at best and a pure addiction at worst. My wife and I spend a great deal of time on her iPad and my PC while at home, and that is our filler for idle time...same as would be watching TV continuously. When we go out I seldom use my phone for internet because I want to save that time for when I return home so that I have something to occupy my time later, plus I want to enjoy my time with my wife when I'm out and about and just experience life in general without having a phone stuck in my face. Neither of us had any kind of internet plan on our phones until recently, and if we absolutely needed to use the internet outside we would dial up and get a prepaid 24 hour service for only 15 baht on AIS or use free wi-fi where available. Simple...if you don't want to gorge on sweets while at home, then don't buy them and bring them into your home. If you don't want to get addicted to the internet on your phone while out and about, then don't put that service on your phone. We all have to learn to set boundaries, even for ourselves. We can't control what other people do, but we can certainly control what goes on in our own family.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 14, 2019, 9:53 am

Its getting like people just cannot live without being connected every minute of everyday .
I always thought it was just the youngsters addicted , but its not . It covers all generations , and all genders .
How many times do you avoid someone wandering around , oblivious of their surroundings , with their nose stuck in their phone . On the roads , in the shops , walking down the street .
I challenge you to count them in one day .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 14, 2019, 10:50 am

saint wrote:
March 14, 2019, 9:53 am

I challenge you to count them in one day .
What ................. and possibly miss a facebook* update?

* I don't actually have a facebook account (that I am aware of)
:D

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 14, 2019, 10:59 am

I find the addition is great if I need a beer just message the misses and it comes try speaking or shouting takes forever

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 14, 2019, 11:11 am

I walked out of Central a few days ago and did a double take....there was an elderly gentleman at one of the outdoor Starbucks tables.....reading a Bangkok Post. Funny, how back in the day of everyone with their nose stuck in a magazine/book/newspaper at the departure gates at an airport, no one criticized people for doing so. Not that I ever dared take a newspaper into a stall for a long read.
All this concern about smart phone addition will pass.....just as it did with long hair and bell-bottom jeans in the 60s and distressed jeans today (I can only imagine my parents' reaction to my going out with a pair of distressed jeans!).

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 14, 2019, 11:25 am

There's a time and place for everything.........and when you're doing a job on a golf course, with an extended crane in the area removing/moving trees, you shouldn't be playing on your mobile phone. In the case of a young worker who was paying attention to his phone and not the crane....yesterday........he died. Udon/Phen

https://www.thairath.co.th/content/1518430

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » March 14, 2019, 2:39 pm

parrot wrote:
March 14, 2019, 11:11 am
I walked out of Central a few days ago and did a double take....there was an elderly gentleman at one of the outdoor Starbucks tables.....reading a Bangkok Post. Funny, how back in the day of everyone with their nose stuck in a magazine/book/newspaper at the departure gates at an airport, no one criticized people for doing so. Not that I ever dared take a newspaper into a stall for a long read.
All this concern about smart phone addition will pass.....just as it did with long hair and bell-bottom jeans in the 60s and distressed jeans today (I can only imagine my parents' reaction to my going out with a pair of distressed jeans!).
I can understand the newspaper comparison but the smartphone is at a different level.

One of my work mates clocked 27 hours on his I Phone in a week, More than a day of screen time.

Some people are worse than others but i notice now when we do shift handovers at work people are on thier phones and now there seems to be power banks left charging incase they run out of battery and arent near a 240v socket.

One guy recently requested a USB charging point be added to the crane operators chair 😂

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » March 14, 2019, 2:55 pm

SJP17 wrote:
March 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
parrot wrote:
I can understand the newspaper comparison but the smartphone is at a different level.

One of my work mates clocked 27 hours on his I Phone in a week, More than a day of screen time.

Some people are worse than others but i notice now when we do shift handovers at work people are on thier phones and now there seems to be power banks left charging incase they run out of battery and arent near a 240v socket.

One guy recently requested a USB charging point be added to the crane operators chair 😂
I can't for the life of me understand why any employer would allow their employees to spend time on their cell phones; and if they are being used against company rules, then that is the same as stealing because you are taking a wage from an employer and giving nothing back during those times. The same goes for students in a classroom. Why oh why are older people so afraid to discipline these little monsters?
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » March 14, 2019, 4:47 pm

semperfiguy wrote:
March 14, 2019, 2:55 pm
SJP17 wrote:
March 14, 2019, 2:39 pm
parrot wrote:

I can't for the life of me understand why any employer would allow their employees to spend time on their cell phones; and if they are being used against company rules, then that is the same as stealing because you are taking a wage from an employer and giving nothing back during those times. The same goes for students in a classroom. Why oh why are older people so afraid to discipline these little monsters?
Yes itll probably come in time , my employer is very laxed 25gb of wifi available with no password 24/7, it does'nt bother me that much but the problem is when something doesnt get done or goes unnoticed with the plant then the ---- will hit the fan.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 14, 2019, 7:15 pm

I was reminded last night why I'm married to a smart phone. First, 23 years ago, when we arrived in Udon and set up one of the first expat (at least, American expat) internet accounts, I was surprised at how disconnected the Vietnam-era expats were from the computer age. A few were quick enough learners, but some were terrified of keyboards.
And so, 23 years ago, I told myself I would endeavor to stay in touch with rapidly changing technology. I've seen a few older guys fall off the side of the technology road in the last few years....failing eyesight, resistant to change from older and unstable versions of Windows, befuddled by smartphones, pining for good movies/music when they're both only a few clicks away. And then, last night, finding out that the rapidly advancing technology is putting our airlines at risk because they're too complex to fly. OGphu.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » March 14, 2019, 8:06 pm

parrot wrote:
March 14, 2019, 7:15 pm
I was reminded last night why I'm married to a smart phone. First, 23 years ago, when we arrived in Udon and set up one of the first expat (at least, American expat) internet accounts, I was surprised at how disconnected the Vietnam-era expats were from the computer age. A few were quick enough learners, but some were terrified of keyboards.
And so, 23 years ago, I told myself I would endeavor to stay in touch with rapidly changing technology. I've seen a few older guys fall off the side of the technology road in the last few years....failing eyesight, resistant to change from older and unstable versions of Windows, befuddled by smartphones, pining for good movies/music when they're both only a few clicks away. And then, last night, finding out that the rapidly advancing technology is putting our airlines at risk because they're too complex to fly. OGphu.
Essentially a smart phone is a mini pc, media player, its an all in one device.

You can still keep up to date with technology without one , really its just old tech repacked with instant connectivity.

If your happy with it then go for it.

For me its a lifestyle choice, ill still use the internet, ill still keep up to date, i just wont carry a mini pc with me all the time. I recently bought a new desktop and set up a small office room in my house for all my internet browsing, personal documents and files.

Return to “Open Forum”