Medical Insurance For 1 year O-A Visa Holders

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Peter USNR
udonmap.com

Medical Insurance For 1 year O-A Visa Holders

Post by Peter USNR » June 3, 2019, 12:10 pm

I just read on A Thailand English Newspaper that a new requirement of Health Insurance for Individuals over the age of 50 is going in place on all O-A Long Stay Visa. There are 6 Thai companies offering this insurance coverage. Search longstay.Tgia.org. There is no mention about those with Marriage Visa's. This will be required with all Visa renewals but I am unsure of the effective date but it appears to be immediately.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Medical Insurance For 1 year O-A Visa Holders

Post by parrot » June 3, 2019, 12:33 pm

To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing official yet. As always with immigration details, there are lots of rumors/conjecture but nothing yet signed-sealed-delivered.

Peter USNR
udonmap.com

Post by Peter USNR » June 3, 2019, 1:05 pm

It has been passed according to the news and is in effect. From What I read they are just waiting on the written procedures and the tentative date is July.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 3, 2019, 2:16 pm

If you have a link/ref, please post

Nev
udonmap.com

Post by Nev » June 3, 2019, 3:04 pm

Parrot
Just Google
longstay.Tgia.org

It will list a load of links the top one should list the six. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 3, 2019, 3:47 pm

In the Health Department link discussing the measure, Health Service Support Department director-general Nattawuth Prasert-siripong on one hand said, "“The Cabinet has already approved the new rule." Later in the same article, "Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand."

I'll believe it when I see the official rules posted on the Thai Immigration website. Until then, the insurance companies are offering all sorts of insurance for needs that haven't yet been determined. That's the way I see it.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 3, 2019, 4:07 pm

parrot wrote:
June 3, 2019, 3:47 pm
I'll believe it when I see the official rules posted on the Thai Immigration website. Until then, the insurance companies are offering all sorts of insurance for needs that haven't yet been determined. That's the way I see it.
Yes. Insurance companies rush to snag expats in panic. I will wait.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » June 8, 2019, 8:45 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
June 3, 2019, 4:07 pm
parrot wrote:
June 3, 2019, 3:47 pm
Yes. Insurance companies rush to snag expats in panic. I will wait.
Agree, take your time, look around and don't be fooled by the sales pitch of would be Broker's

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » June 9, 2019, 6:35 am

Spoke with a friend in Pattaya yesterday who went through the bank book 800,000 baht retirement visa renewal. When finished, he asked when he had to return to show 400,000 still on deposit. Not required. He also asked about insurance and was told that it does not apply to retirement visas.

I know every immigration office can and has been different. I know that the final regulation has not been decided upon or released. But this was good news.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 9, 2019, 7:11 am

parrot wrote:
June 3, 2019, 12:33 pm
To the best of my knowledge, there's nothing official yet. As always with immigration details, there are lots of rumors/conjecture but nothing yet signed-sealed-delivered.
Well said, the Insurance companies will try to screw the pooch.

I advise you ALL to read (STUDY) this thread before panicking!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/110062 ... t-14141726

So far there are NO reports of Farang extending (1900 Baht) an existing "O" visa either Marriage or Retirement having to produce Health Insurance
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Muni3
udonmap.com

Post by Muni3 » June 9, 2019, 10:00 am

I just renewed my "retirement" visa here in Udon last Thursday based on 800K in the bank. Maybe 15 minutes total in & out. I asked the officer about health insurance. She replied "nothing yet". I asked if she knew anything about in the future. Again she knew nothing.
Note: She did ask me if my money was in a Savings or Fixed account. I replied "Savings because I know immigration prefers that". She just nodded & smiled.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 9, 2019, 12:41 pm

Insurance companies being insurance companies , will not hesitate to pray on the insecurities of the masses . Its just in there DNA . Maybe they have been a little fugal with the truth over this issue , or maybe they just wanted to capitalise on a rumour , or maybe they even helped to fuel this panic , knowing they would do very nicely out of it .

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 9, 2019, 5:29 pm

If someone (on a retirement visa) has 800K baht in their Thai bank account, one might think that would give a good indication that they can afford to cover most medical situations that might arise and might thus obviate the need for medical insurance. Though I realise that logic doesn't always apply.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 9, 2019, 6:10 pm

Double post
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on June 9, 2019, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 9, 2019, 6:13 pm

arjay wrote:
June 9, 2019, 5:29 pm
If someone (on a retirement visa) has 800K baht in their Thai bank account, one might think that would give a good indication that they can afford to cover most medical situations that might arise and might thus obviate the need for medical insurance. Though I realise that logic doesn't always apply.
Logic and Thai thinking is an "oxymoron"!

lassebasse
udonmap.com

Post by lassebasse » June 9, 2019, 7:26 pm

As I understand it the insurance requirement is only for those who apply for a new O-A visa in their homecountry. It does not affect those who just make the extension in Thailand.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » July 22, 2019, 12:50 am

Never heard another word about needing haelth ins. Anyone else?

GENTLEY
udonmap.com

Post by GENTLEY » July 24, 2019, 2:14 pm

Just did my 1 year extention with 800k in Bank and no mention or requirement for any health insurance. In and out in 25 minutes. Great service

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 24, 2019, 2:27 pm

GENTLEY wrote:
July 24, 2019, 2:14 pm
Just did my 1 year extention with 800k in Bank and no mention or requirement for any health insurance. In and out in 25 minutes. Great service
It's reason #3299 not to jump through hoops or lose sleep when the someone or the newspapers say that there are changes to immigration rules. When immigration publishes the changes, then it's time to jump.

Return to “Open Forum”