Yes it really happened

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Post Reply
Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 13, 2019, 5:28 am

1) There will always be fierce debates over whether or not pineapple has any place on a pizza, but there's no question about where the Hawaiian pizza originally came from: Chatham, Ontario, Canada! Restaurant owner Sam Panopoulos was born in Greece but moved to Canada when he was 20 years old. And in 1962, the entrepreneur decided to put pineapple on pizza. According to Time, Panopoulos, who passed away in 2017, once told the BBC, "We just put it on, just for the fun of it, see how it was going to taste. We were young in the business and we were doing a lot of experiments." The name apparently came from the brand of canned pineapple that was used when they invented the Hawaiian pizza.
PLEASE, GOD HELP US

2) Dr. Seuss is responsible for coming up with some wild and wacky words. But we can also thank the children's book author for a very common term: nerd. American Heritage Dictionary explains that "nerd" first appeared in Seuss' 1950 book If I Ran the Zoo. The passage reads, "And then, just to show them, I'll sail to Ka-Troo and bring back an It-Kutch, a Preep, and a Proo. A Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker, too!"
According to Merriam-Webster, a year later, Newsweek included the word "nerd" in an article about the latest slang, writing, "In Detroit, someone who once would be called a drip or a square is now, regrettably, a nerd, or in less severe cases, a scurve." Too bad "scurve" didn't catch on.

3) If you're lucky, you may be able to see a panda or two at a nearby zoo, but that cute creature is most likely on loan from China. In fact, the majority of pandas around the world either come from China or, if they're born somewhere else, have to be sent to a Chinese breeding program before they turn four in order to expand the gene pool of the species.

4) During World War II, then 18-year-old Princess Elizabeth was a member of the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service, making her the only female member of the British royal family to have served in the armed forces and the only living head of state to serve in the Second World War.

Second Subaltern Elizabeth Windsor, as she was called during her service, trained as a mechanic and military truck driver. This is even more interesting when you find out that she's also the only person in Britain who doesn't need a driver's license to get behind the wheel.

5) At some point in time, for whatever reason, someone decided to give a name to the lint that collects in the bottom of your pockets. And that name is hilariously "gnurr."



Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 14, 2019, 5:48 am

1) Countries that have disappeared
Vermont
Declaring independence from the British Empire wasn’t enough for Vermont; it also declared independence from the colony of New York, which had claimed Vermont, in 1777. Vermont drew up a constitution -- the first written one in North America -- that was radical for its time. It prohibited slavery and gave the right to vote to all adult males, whether they owned property or not. The United States would not admit Vermont into the Union until the dispute with New York was resolved. That piqued Vermonters, who asked the British if the republic could be readmitted into the empire as part of Canada. Vermont remained an independent republic until successful negotiations with New York concluded in 1790. A year later, it was admitted as the 14th state because of the needs of the United States to balance free and slave states. Vermont joined the U.S. to offset the admission of slave state Kentucky in 1792.

2) NASA started to send men to space and discovered that pens would not work t zero gravity. Congress approved a program and after 10 years and $165,000,000 they developed a pen that wrote in zero gravity, upside down, almost on any surface and at temperature from below freezing to over 300C

The Russians used a pencil

Taxes will be increased in April once again

3) Messages from your brain travel along your nerves at up to 200 miles per hour.

4) Nobel Prize-winning scientist Marie Curie died as a result of the vast amounts of radiation she was exposed to during her groundbreaking work. But her body wasn't the only thing to absorb the emissions. Her clothes and belongings—including her furniture, cookbooks, and laboratory notes—were also saturated with the deadly radium particles. That's why, even though Curie died around 85 years ago, her possessions are still radioactive.

And since radium has a half-life of 1,601 years, they're likely to stay that way for a while. Currently, Curie's laboratory notebooks are being safely stored in lead-lined boxes at France's Bibliotheque National in Paris. Anyone who wants to see them has to first to sign a liability waiver and then agree to wear protective gear.
And since radium has a half-life of 1,601 years, they're likely to stay that way for a while. Currently, Curie's laboratory notebooks are being safely stored in lead-lined boxes at France's Bibliotheque National in Paris. Anyone who wants to see them has to first to sign a liability waiver and then agree to wear protective gear.

5) Blood cells are incredibly small, measuring around five micrometers (for reference, a human hair is about 17 micrometers). However, because we have so many blood cells in our body, The Franklin Institute explains that if you laid them out in a single row, a child's blood cells would stretch more than 60,000 miles, while an adult's blood cells would be around 100,000 miles long.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 15, 2019, 4:03 pm

1) Largest Refinery
Lamnagar India 1,240,000 barrels per day

2) Largest waste water treatment plant
Wet weather 7,6000,000 M3 per day Montreal Canada

3) Smallest Dog
Chihuahua 0.9 to 2.7kg

4) Largest Dog
Great Dane Up to 54 KG

5) Friendliest Dog
Golden Retriever

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 12079
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by stattointhailand » November 15, 2019, 5:21 pm

Unfriendliest dogs

female (?) patrons of the Blue Bell Inn Scunthorpe :-"

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3906
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 15, 2019, 7:26 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
November 15, 2019, 5:21 pm
Unfriendliest dogs

female (?) patrons of the Blue Bell Inn Scunthorpe :-"
When in the metroplis that is Scunthorpe by the sea The Blue BellnInn was one of my haunts ..along with below ..i wonder how many have been lost ?????

The Ironstone Wharf ..Gunness
Jolly Sailor Gunness
The Ferryboat Burringham
The Honest Lawyer Ashby rd
Tavernr in the Town
The Desert Rat west cliff
Pickwicks
The Wife Beaters Arms Donny rd
Red Lion Messingham
Queens Head Epworth
The Epworth Tap
Kings Head Epworth
Ferryboat Butterwick
The Britainia
Garbos strip.club
Keadby WMC
The Mallard
The Beacon
The Star
The Wortley
The Dried Prune
Henry Afikas
The Cesspit
The Old Farmhouse
The dog n Rat Broughton
The Oswald
Fllixbourgh Inn
Wetherspoons inn
The Sherpa Foxhills rd
The Queens Rowland rd
The Iron Bar
The Baths Hall
The Broken.Arms
The Buccaneer
The Crooked Billet Owsten Ferry
The Hood . Haxey
The Station House

Sure ive missed a few

Dm.

User avatar
stattointhailand
udonmap.com
Posts: 12079
Joined: October 25, 2007, 11:34 pm
Location: Oiling the locks on my gun case

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by stattointhailand » November 15, 2019, 9:51 pm

Report is a year old but seems to make painful (for imbibers) reading :cry:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/in-y ... ar-2276906

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 3906
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 16, 2019, 8:28 am

Moved this over to the SCUNTHORPE THREAD Statto ..not to disrupt tbis one

TJ
udonmap.com
Posts: 1215
Joined: September 9, 2005, 9:16 am
Location: Udon Thani and USA

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by TJ » November 16, 2019, 8:40 am

The English pubs will diminish and disappear as the Muslim population increases, a fact, not an opinion.

User avatar
saint
udonmap.com
Posts: 3027
Joined: February 28, 2008, 5:31 pm
Location: the truth is out there . but dont dare tell it !!!!

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by saint » November 16, 2019, 8:59 am

TJ wrote:
November 16, 2019, 8:40 am
The English pubs will diminish and disappear as the Muslim population increases, a fact, not an opinion.
What a load of tosh .
English pubs are on the decline for various reasons , and none of them concern race or religion .
Smoking bans , Tied brewery greed , High rent and business rates , High prices compared to supermarkets , and drink driving laws , being just a few .

User avatar
tamada
udonmap.com
Posts: 4629
Joined: February 21, 2007, 4:03 am
Location: down two... then left

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by tamada » November 16, 2019, 2:30 pm

saint wrote:
November 16, 2019, 8:59 am
TJ wrote:
November 16, 2019, 8:40 am
The English pubs will diminish and disappear as the Muslim population increases, a fact, not an opinion.
What a load of tosh .
English pubs are on the decline for various reasons , and none of them concern race or religion .
Smoking bans , Tied brewery greed , High rent and business rates , High prices compared to supermarkets , and drink driving laws , being just a few .
saint = FACT

TJ = FICTION

User avatar
Khun Paul
udonmap.com
Posts: 3995
Joined: September 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
Location: Udon Thani

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Khun Paul » November 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

In truth looking at some of the replies to the idiotic comment aboput English Pubs. DFrink Driving laws impacted the trade greatly, plus the fact that the Local (pub ) was losing its appeal to the post war teenagers AKA the Flowser power years and since then .
Add to it the no smoking rules and the rules concerning Health and safety just pubs were struggling, you need more than just a PUB, a good restaurant, live music or other attractions which brought in people . Times have changed so have people, PUB going is no longer what it was , therefore many pubs closed and turned into many other businesses some even homes.
A sad fact but true like the Corner shop also going the way of the Dodo for similar reasons, people change as do their habits . people are also more mobile which adds to PUB problems .

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 17, 2019, 8:42 am

1) More people die from selfies than shark attacks.
People are willing to do some pretty crazy things to capture a stunning selfie. And though some stunts are simply death-defying, others sadly result in serious injuries and even fatalities. In September 2015, Health.com found that while eight people had died following shark attacks since the beginning of that year, a total of twelve people had died due to dangerous selfie attempts. The deaths involved falling from precarious places while trying to get the perfect picture, as well as being hit by a train, being electrocuted, and even being gored while trying to take a selfie during the running of the bulls.


2) We can "hear" the universe.
"A new era of astronomy has begun," Space.com declared in 2017 when researchers discovered that they can "hear" the universe thanks to gravitational waves. In a revelation that Science deemed the Breakthrough of the Year, the waves were a result of two neutron stars colliding, something never before witnessed by scientists. And to let outer space blow your mind even more, check out the 21 Mysteries About Space No One Can Explain.

3) One-third of sushi is not what you think it is.
The next time you purchase fish, you might want to be sure you're actually getting what you asked for—whether that's salmon, tuna, or halibut. A study conducted between 2010 and 2012 by the international conservation organization Oceana found that "consumers are often given insufficient, confusing or misleading information about the fish they purchase." The massive investigation, which involved DNA testing samples of fish from retail outlets in 21 different states, "found that one-third, or 33 percent, of the 1,215 seafood samples were mislabeled, according to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines."

4) Human bodies can move for more than a year after death.
Strange things happen to human bodies after death, and that includes the fact that they can continue to move for more than a year after a person has died. In 2019, Australian researchers used time-lapse cameras and "found … that the arms [of corpses] were significantly moving, so that arms that started off down beside the body ended up out to the side of the body," according to Central Queensland University's Alyson Wilson

. She explained, "We think the movements relate to the process of decomposition, as the body mummifies and the ligaments dry out."

5) Half of all food is thrown away.
If you hate to waste food, it may frustrate you to know that anywhere between 30 and 50 percent of the food that we produce—or around 1.2 to 2 billion tons—never gets eaten, according to a 2013 report from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IME). "The amount of food wasted and lost around the world is staggering," Tim Fox, head of energy and environment at IME, told The Huffington Post at the time. He noted, "This is food that could be used to feed the world's growing population—as well as those in hunger today … It is also an unnecessary waste of the land, water, and energy resources that were used in the production, processing, and distribution of this food."

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 18, 2019, 4:03 am

1) Children with authoritarian parents are more likely to be Republicans as adults.
Strict parents tend to produce right-wing adults. Pacific Standard broke down the findings of the 2012 study published in
Psychological Science, reporting that researchers were able to establish "a link between a mother's attitude toward parenting and the political ideology her child eventually adopts. In short, authoritarian parents are more prone to produce conservatives, while those who gave their kids more latitude are more likely to produce liberals."

2) What's the missing number?
1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13,____, 34

A. 20

B. 21

C. 25

D. 17
Answer at the end

3) ODD JOB
Professional sleeper:
A hotel in Finland hired a member of staff as a ‘professional sleeper’ to test the comfort of their beds. The individual sleeps in a different one of the hotel beds each night and writes a review about her satisfaction with each one.

4) Only in the UK
Drying paint watcher:
No, this isn’t a joke. Someone actually earns a living watching paint dry. A man in the UK currently has the job and he spends his days painting sheets of cardboard to test how long new paint mixes take to dry and watching for changes in color and texture.

5) Of course the Brits need one
Marmite Taster:
They say you love it or hate it and in the case of St John Skelton, he really takes his appreciation for it to another level. As part of a team of marmite tasters, he is responsible for checking each batch of Marmite is the correct texture, consistency and flavour.
chief taster retires after tasting 264 MILLION jars
MARMITE'S chief taste tester will hang up his spoon for the final time after sampling the equivalent of 264 million jars.





#2 Answer: B. 21
Each number is the previous two numbers added together. The eighth number is the sixth and seventh numbers—8 and 13—added together.

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 1713
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Udon Map » November 18, 2019, 8:29 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 18, 2019, 4:03 am
What's the missing number?
1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13,____, 34
This is commonly referred to as a Fibonacci Series; and it's found in numerous places in nature. Just two of many examples:

Growth of rabbit populations: Fibonacci considers the growth of a hypothetical, idealized (biologically unrealistic) rabbit population, assuming that: a newly born pair of rabbits, one male, one female, are put in a field; rabbits are able to mate at the age of one month so that at the end of its second month a female can produce another pair of rabbits; rabbits never die and a mating pair always produces one new pair (one male, one female) every month from the second month on. Fibonacci posed the puzzle: how many pairs will there be in one year?

At the end of the first month, they mate, but there is still only 1 pair.
At the end of the second month the female produces a new pair, so now there are 2 pairs of rabbits in the field.
At the end of the third month, the original female produces a second pair, making 3 pairs in all in the field.
At the end of the fourth month, the original female has produced yet another new pair, and the female born two months ago also produces her first pair, making 5 pairs.
At the end of the nth month, the number of pairs of rabbits is equal to the number of new pairs (that is, the number of pairs in month n − 2) plus the number of pairs alive last month (that is, n − 1). This is the nth Fibonacci number.

Honeybee families: Fibonacci numbers also appear in the pedigrees of idealized honeybees, according to the following rules:
  • If an egg is laid by an unmated female, it hatches a male or drone bee.
  • If, however, an egg was fertilized by a male, it hatches a female.
Thus, a male bee always has one parent, and a female bee has two. If one traces the pedigree of any male bee (1 bee), he has 1 parent (1 bee), 2 grandparents, 3 great-grandparents, 5 great-great-grandparents, and so on. As you can see, this sequence of numbers of parents is a Fibonacci series.

There. Now you probably know more than you ever wanted to know about Fibonacci series; and we're just scratching the surface. We haven't talked about how Fibonacci series appear in economic theory, poker, compression of audio computer files, the way that leaves are arranged on the stem of a deciduous tree, or the arrangement of the "leaves" on a pine cone. I've always been fascinated by Fibonacci numbers, starting around the 9th grade. What a coincidence to run across them here in Udon!

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 19, 2019, 5:54 am

1) ATM fees
Sometimes it’s unavoidable to use an ATM that charges you to take money out. Even so, the amount of money lost in ATM charges each year is staggering. In the U.S., the three biggest banks – JPMorgan Chase, Bank of America and Wells Fargo – earned more than $6.4 billion from ATM and overdraft fees, with the latter being charged on accounts if they slipped below zero.

2) Food waste
In the U.S., the average adult spends $2,798 per year on food that ends up getting thrown out, according to a survey of 2,000 Americans by OnePoll on behalf of appliances company Bosch. Around 40% of all food in the U.S. gets wasted, according to a report by the Natural Resources Defence Council (NRDC). The U.K. isn’t much better. A poll by Lottoland found that the amount of food wasted per person totals $2,616 each year. Potatoes, bread and milk were the items people were most likely to throw away.

3) Lottery tickets
We all know the odds are tiny – yet so many of us still splurge on lottery tickets. The average American spends a whopping $223.04 per year on lottery tickets, according to a report by loan marketplace LendEDU. But Brits are even worse. The average person in the U.K. spends $536 a year on lotteries and scratch cards, with a staggering 52% of people never having won anything from them, according to research by gambling site Casinoroom.com.

4) Unclaimed tax rebates
A tax rebate is essentially the money you’re owed back from the taxman because you’ve paid too much tax. This could be for various reasons, such as if your salary goes down, if there are work expenses that you don’t declare, or if your employer provides the wrong tax code. In the U.S., the IRS has $1.4 billion in unclaimed federal tax refunds from taxpayers that didn’t file a return in 2015.

5) Unclaimed tax deductions
In the UK, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) revealed that Brits are missing out on $12.9 billion in unclaimed benefits, according to data from the financial year 2016/17. The figures stated that 1.3 million households failed to claim pension credit worth on average $3,221 a pop, while another 1.3 million families failed to claim housing benefit worth $3,866. In the U.S., around 20% of taxpayers eligible for earned income tax credits don’t claim it on their tax return.

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 1713
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Udon Map » November 19, 2019, 9:16 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 19, 2019, 5:54 am
3) Lottery tickets
We all know the odds are tiny – yet so many of us still splurge on lottery tickets. The average American spends a whopping $223.04 per year on lottery tickets, according to a report by loan marketplace LendEDU. But Brits are even worse. The average person in the U.K. spends $536 a year on lotteries and scratch cards, with a staggering 52% of people never having won anything from them, according to research by gambling site Casinoroom.com.
And that's the thing about statistics. They can say pretty much whatever you want them to say. So if 52% of the people have never won anything, that means that 48%, nearly half, of the people who buy lottery tickets have won at some point. Maybe it's not so difficult after all to understand why people keep buying tickets!

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 20, 2019, 5:40 am

)The oxygen masks only provide up to 15 minutes of air
If cabin pressure falls to a certain point, masks will drop immediately and there is an oxygen reserve that will last around 12–15 minutes. That may not sound like much but don’t worry. Should this occur, the pilot will ensure the plane is brought to a safe altitude as quickly as possible.


2) The Internet (1898)
The first person to write about the possibilities of a globally connected community was Mark Twain in the late 19th century, long before Al Gore was even born. In Twain’s 1898 short story “From the ‘London Times’ of 1904,” he wrote that the “telectroscope” (inventor Jan Szczepanik’s real late 19th century creation) would use the phone system to create a worldwide network for sharing information.

This innovation, Twain wrote, would make “the daily doings of the globe… visible to everybody, and audibly discussable too, by witnesses separated by any number of leagues.” So, the next time you use Twitter and YouTube, always remember that the guy who wrote Adventures of Huckleberry Finn thought of it first. And for a look at what life was like before the internet, Here’s What It Was Like to Live Without Today’s Technologies We Totally Take for Granted.

3) Toothbrushes
Toothbrushes don't technically have an expiration date, but they do go bad after time, according to Shahrooz Yazdani, DDS, of Yazdani Family Dentistry. "Changing your toothbrush every four months or so is important, particularly if you've had a cold in that span, because minuscule germs will have developed on the bristles of your brush," says Yazdani. "If you re-use that brush, you risk being reinfected."

Even if you haven't been sick, Yazdani says it's still important to replace your toothbrush because germs and bacteria build up on the bristles regardless, making you susceptible to colds and infections. And for more home health tips, check out the 55 Lurking Home Hazards to Know for Better Health.

4) Spices
It's a common belief that spices can last a lifetime, but that's not true. "They can last for multiple years, typically in the three- to four-year range, but after that, they lose their potency and can cause some digestive problems," says Jocelyn Nadua, RPN, care coordinator at C-Care Health Services. Expired spices won't kill you, but it's common to have an upset stomach for a few hours after consumption. "Typically a small amount won't cause any harm, but if you overload your dish with them, your stomach may ache for a bit," says Nadua. She recommends checking the expiration date on your spices if you haven't before.

5) Boxed Wine
Fine wine improves with age, but the same can't be said for boxed or packaged wine. Boxed wine has an expiration date, typically six to eight months after the date of purchase, and six to eight weeks after opening. Most expired boxed wine doesn't pose a danger because the boxes are made from polyethylene, which is one of the safest plastics.

However, some boxes contain Bisphenol A (BPA), a chemical that has been linked to heart disease and fertility problems. You definitely don't want to drink wine if BPA has potentially seeped into it, so check either the box or the company's website to verify exactly what types of plastic and chemicals it contains.

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 21, 2019, 6:12 am

1) Nine countries have banned McDonalds


2) There’s only one letter in the alphabet
that doesn’t appear in any U.S. state name Have you guessed it ?

Answer at bottom

3) Johnny Appleseed’s fruits weren’t for eating.

Being fairly bitter plans were to make hard cider

4) Scotland has 421 words for “snow”
Yes—421! That’s too many fun facts about snow. Some examples: sneesl (to start raining or snowing); feefle (to swirl); flinkdrinkin (a light snow).

5) The “Windy City” name has nothing to do with Chicago weather

Was this one of the random facts you already knew? Chicago’s nickname was coined by 19th-century journalists who were referring to the fact that its residents were “windbags” and “full of hot air.”

Doodoo
udonmap.com
Posts: 1925
Joined: October 15, 2017, 8:47 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » November 21, 2019, 6:13 am

Sorry Answer to #2 is the letter Q

User avatar
Udon Map
Admin
Posts: 1713
Joined: July 31, 2013, 7:57 pm

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Udon Map » November 21, 2019, 8:26 am

Doodoo wrote:
November 21, 2019, 6:12 am
5) The “Windy City” name has nothing to do with Chicago weather

Was this one of the random facts you already knew? Chicago’s nickname was coined by 19th-century journalists who were referring to the fact that its residents were “windbags” and “full of hot air.”
Not so fast....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windy_City_(nickname)

Post Reply

Return to “Open Forum”