Yes it really happened

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by Doodoo » May 14, 2022, 6:59 pm

67% of us believe in Magic

True or False

ANSWER

FALSE it is actually 33% (A UK Survey)

Common ways to die in the 1800's

Dysentery
Unlike "diarrhea" as a generic term, dysentery is an actual condition, that indeed causes diarrhea. Except, there's usually blood in the stools. The condition is caused by two specific microorganisms: a bacteria called shigella, and a protozoan called E. histolytica.

Infection can be prevented by washing one's hands after using the toilet. Nearly 10,500 people died of dysentery in 1860. That's more than those who suffered from diarrhea alone.

Old age
Dying of old age in the 1800s is quite something, considering the health risks such as poor sanitation and lack of vaccination, among others. It might be worth mentioning that some of these 'old' people were less than 50 years old.
According to the 1860 census, "old age" is described as the cause of death for 10,887 people in America.

Scarlet fever
Scarlet fever is caused by bacteria called group A streptococcus. The condition starts as strep throat and develops into scarlet fever. Symptoms include a bright red skin rash, a red tongue, and, naturally, fever.
A whopping 26,402 people died from scarlet fever in 1860 alone. That was 7.41% of all deaths recorded that year.

WORST JOBS
Violin string maker
Back in the day, the job of building a violin was much worse than it is today: violin strings used to be made by weaving together strands of sheep innards.

Thanks to the 17th-century revolution in violin string making, this practice is now less common. Although, some performers do still opt for sheep gut strings for their specific sound!

Match girl
While the job itself merely involved dipping wood in phosphorus solution, exposure to the fumes emitted by the solution caused a terrible condition later known as "phossy jaw."

Anyone suffering with the condition, which was rife in the 19th and 20th centuries, saw their gums begin to abscess, sometimes to the point that the jaw had to be removed.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 15, 2022, 8:17 pm

ATLAS
In anatomy, the atlas (C1) is the most superior (first) cervical vertebra of the spine and is located in the neck. It is named for Atlas of Greek mythology because, just as Atlas supported the globe, it supports the entire head.[1]

The atlas is the topmost vertebra and, with the axis (the vertebra below it), forms the joint connecting the skull and spine. The atlas and axis are specialized to allow a greater range of motion than normal vertebrae. They are responsible for the nodding and rotation movements of the head.

The atlanto-occipital joint allows the head to nod up and down on the vertebral column. The dens acts as a pivot that allows the atlas and attached head to rotate on the axis, side to side.

The atlas's chief peculiarity is that it has no body.[2] It is ring-like and consists of an anterior and a posterior arch and two lateral masses.

The atlas and axis are important neurologically because the brainstem extends down to the axi

WORST JOBS
Violin string maker
Back in the day, the job of building a violin was much worse than it is today: violin strings used to be made by weaving together strands of sheep innards.

Thanks to the 17th-century revolution in violin string making, this practice is now less common. Although, some performers do still opt for sheep gut strings for their specific sound!

Match girl
While the job itself merely involved dipping wood in phosphorus solution, exposure to the fumes emitted by the solution caused a terrible condition later known as "phossy jaw."

Anyone suffering with the condition, which was rife in the 19th and 20th centuries, saw their gums begin to abscess, sometimes to the point that the jaw had to be removed.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 15, 2022, 8:21 pm

If anyone knows where Doodoo lives, can they please drop in and check that he is OK.

He seems to be experiencing memory loss.

Alternatively, he may just be on a trolling expedition.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 15, 2022, 9:37 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 15, 2022, 8:21 pm
If anyone knows where Doodoo lives, can they please drop in and check that he is OK.

He seems to be experiencing memory loss.

Alternatively, he may just be on a trolling expedition.
Khun Doodoo might be the sort who does not like people dropping in on him out of the blue to check on his mental condition. Both memory loss and trolling are part of his repertoire.

Hope this helps,
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 15, 2022, 10:13 pm

Just happy that insignificant members are still reading my postings

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 15, 2022, 10:19 pm

somewhere in the great white north . slurping
moosehead beer , and eating canadian bacon

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » May 15, 2022, 11:49 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 15, 2022, 8:21 pm
Happy to assist with his online therapy (searching for his missing links, etc.) but I draw the line at sitting with him while he gibbers and drools, sod that.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 16, 2022, 4:51 am

Doodoo wrote:
May 15, 2022, 10:13 pm
Just happy that insignificant members are still reading my postings
What postings? I thought you had moved on and more enlightened personalities had taken over your former responsibilities.

Hope this helps,

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 16, 2022, 5:37 am

more trivia about canadian life in wilderness, the
maple leafs, syrup , pancakes, log cabin stuff. or
how they started the orig bacon & egg sandwich

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 16, 2022, 8:24 am

pepesgrill wrote:
May 16, 2022, 5:37 am
more trivia about canadian life in wilderness, the
maple leafs, syrup , pancakes, log cabin stuff. or
how they started the orig bacon & egg sandwich
Don't forget hunting unarmed animals in long underwear when the temperature hovers around -35 C.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 16, 2022, 8:39 am

and flannel , i forgot about the flannel obsession
should the animals be armed? more fair i guess

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 16, 2022, 9:59 am

pepesgrill wrote:
May 16, 2022, 8:39 am
and flannel , i forgot about the flannel obsession
should the animals be armed? more fair i guess
It would be better if the humans were unarmed and wearing their colourful plaid shirts

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 16, 2022, 7:14 pm

While I was under the assumption that all vodka came from potatoes, only 3% of vodkas worldwide are made from potatoes. Most vodka is actually made from grains, wheat, or rye, but vodka connoisseurs say that vodka made from potatoes is typically the most flavorful

The smell of old books is truly unmatched. The scent, which is called lignin, is released when the materials used in the production of the book react with light, heat, and water. While the scent typically depends on what the book was made out of, most books have a vanilla-like smell

Butterflies often "mud puddle," a process during which they extract, then eat, the salts that are found in mud, blood, and feces. Apparently, it's very nutritious!

Paul McCartney's song "Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)" was written because of a bet. Dustin Hoffman told McCartney that he couldn't write a song about any old random thing. McCartney disagreed, so Hoffman grabbed a magazine, flipped to a random page, and challenged McCartney to write a song about the article, which was on the death of Pablo Picasso. McCartney wrote the song on the spot.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 16, 2022, 7:53 pm

I'm assuming most of todays "songs" use the same system as very little thought or skill is involved

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 16, 2022, 9:25 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
May 16, 2022, 7:53 pm
I'm assuming most of todays "songs" use the same system as very little thought or skill is involved
So you liked Subwoolfer then? I thought you would.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2022, 10:42 am

My fav Kiwi shepherds band

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 17, 2022, 7:12 pm

There are actually a few reasons why fire trucks are red. The most obvious is that humans associate the color red with urgency, so seeing a red vehicle speeding down the street clued them into the fact that there was an emergency nearby. There's also a theory that fire trucks were actually painted red because it was the cheapest paint color available at the time. Some have attempted to debunk this, saying that red paint wasn't the cheapest, but stations painted their trucks red to evoke a sense of pride. Others believe that fire trucks are red because virtually all early cars were black, so the red stood out.
There's also a big difference between a fire engine and a fire truck, despite the fact that the terms are often used interchangeably. A fire engine typically transports the water necessary to fight fires until firefighters can access a fire hydrant, while fire trucks carry the ladders and other important equipment.

When Frank Sinatra died on May 14, 1998, his ambulance was able to avoid all of the Los Angeles traffic en route to Cedar-Sinai, reaching the hospital in record time. So why was there so little traffic? Everyone was home watching the two-hour Seinfeld finale event.

Sabiha Gökçen, a Turkish pilot, is believed to be the first female combat pilot in the world. Gökçen was one of several children adopted by Turkish president Mustafa Kemal Atatürk. Soon after, Atatürk granted women the right to vote and empowered them to take up passions like aviation. Gökçen was enchanted by flight and enrolled in flight school, where she became the first Turkish woman to receive her pilot's license.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 17, 2022, 7:33 pm

Fire.png

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » May 18, 2022, 6:03 am

in north america anyway they're red . 90% the others are some colours lgtbq insisted upon. my guess

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » May 18, 2022, 7:24 am

pepesgrill wrote:
May 18, 2022, 6:03 am
in north america anyway they're red . 90% the others are some colours lgtbq insisted upon. my guess
Homophobia comment not needed

Return to “Open Forum”