Yes it really happened

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Yes it really happened

Post by jackspratt » February 7, 2023, 9:22 pm

Earnest wrote:
February 7, 2023, 8:34 pm
The Daily Mail is taking flak on social media after identifying Grammy song winner, Bonnie Raitt, as unknown.
Predictable, I guess - as they didn't have a file photo of her sunbathing topless on a beach somewhere.

Are you an avid Mail reader, westers?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 7, 2023, 9:35 pm

For once I have to agree with the Mail, Ive never heard of him/her/it (2023 so had to cover all genders) either :roll:

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 7, 2023, 9:45 pm

" She was also a frequent session player and collaborator with other artists, including Warren Zevon, Little Feat, Jackson Browne, The Pointer Sisters, John Prine and Leon Russell.
As of 2023, Raitt has received thirteen competitive Grammy Awards, as well as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.[2] She was ranked number 50 in Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Singers of All Time",[3] and was placed on the magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time""
A Great musician and contributor to the music world

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » February 7, 2023, 11:26 pm

That's right.
jackspratt wrote:
February 7, 2023, 9:22 pm
Are you an avid Mail reader, westers?
No.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 8, 2023, 7:41 am

acquiesce

What It Means

To acquiesce is to accept, agree, or allow something to happen by staying silent or by not arguing. The word is somewhat formal, and is often used with in or to.

// Eventually, the professor acquiesced to the students' request to have the seminar's final class be a potluck lunch.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 8, 2023, 11:58 am

Doodoo wrote:
February 7, 2023, 9:45 pm
" She was also a frequent session player and collaborator with other artists, including Warren Zevon, Little Feat, Jackson Browne, The Pointer Sisters, John Prine and Leon Russell.
As of 2023, Raitt has received thirteen competitive Grammy Awards, as well as a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.[2] She was ranked number 50 in Rolling Stone's list of the "100 Greatest Singers of All Time",[3] and was placed on the magazine's list of the "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time""
statts hasn't hard of any of those either.

Thanks for trying though.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 8, 2023, 12:04 pm

Doodoo wrote:
February 8, 2023, 7:41 am
acquiesce

What It Means

To acquiesce is to accept, agree, or allow something to happen by staying silent or by not arguing. The word is somewhat formal, and is often used with in or to.

// Eventually, the professor acquiesced to the students' request to have the seminar's final class be a potluck lunch.
Or

// Eventually, Whistler acquiesced to the fact that the active UM membership aren't worth a spit and left without flouncing.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 8, 2023, 12:05 pm

Doodoo wrote: ↑February 7, 2023, 9:45 pm

Since we havent heard from Statts on this information we can now add Mindreader to your Resume?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 8, 2023, 12:09 pm

Ive heard of the Pointer Sisters, havent a clue about any of their music though.

Clearly shows what a state the music industry is in if someone who is obviously not a household name worldwide can win 13 awards [-X

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 8, 2023, 12:51 pm

Doodoo wrote:
February 8, 2023, 12:05 pm

I think the Pointer Sister sang gospel music. I have also heard of Jackson Browne and Leon Russell, but I forget what they sang or sounded like.

Since we havent heard from Statts on this information we can now add Mindreader to your Resume?
I think the Pointer Sisters sang gospel music. I have also heard of Jackson Browne and Leon Russell, but I forget what they sang or sounded and looked like.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 8, 2023, 12:57 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 8, 2023, 12:09 pm
Ive heard of the Pointer Sisters, havent a clue about any of their music though.

Clearly shows what a state the music industry is in if someone who is obviously not a household name worldwide can win 13 awards [-X
not heard in your household so not heard worldwide.

i see
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 8, 2023, 12:59 pm

Doodoo wrote:
February 8, 2023, 12:05 pm

now he's responded

thanks for your (humorless) attention
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 8, 2023, 6:29 pm

Born to rock.png

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 9, 2023, 8:35 am

stattointhailand wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 8, 2023, 12:51 pm
I think the Pointer Sisters sang gospel music. I have also heard of Jackson Browne and Leon Russell, but I forget what they sang or sounded and looked like.
They were a very well known group in the 1970s and 80s. This was one of their biggest hits.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » February 9, 2023, 11:31 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 7, 2023, 9:13 pm
[
Wokey wokey .. the soft cock fruities are out again .. WTF is the world coming too , more so wtf our our kids , grand kids and their kids gonna have to put up with .. WALOFB

DM
Unfortunately they are unlikely to know any better.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 9, 2023, 1:05 pm

Udon Map wrote:
February 9, 2023, 8:35 am
stattointhailand wrote:
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 8, 2023, 12:51 pm
They were a very well known group in the 1970s and 80s. This was one of their biggest hits.

I guess the gospel theory is out. This is the first time I've heard this song. It sounds a bit like disco, which is why I prefer the music I grew up with in the fifties and sixties, and some Canto and Thai pop music.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 9, 2023, 4:46 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 9, 2023, 1:05 pm
I guess the gospel theory is out. This is the first time I've heard this song. It sounds a bit like disco, which is why I prefer the music I grew up with in the fifties and sixties, and some Canto and Thai pop music.
Not at all. NPR did a historical perspective of the Pointer Sisters about a year, ago and identified three major components of their music. Here's what NPR said about the second:
The second component of the group's sound was gospel music, especially the gospel group aesthetic of the '50s and '60s. The dynamic that foregrounds both the Pointer Sisters' lead and background vocals were developed while singing in the junior choir at the West Oakland Church of God, where their father Elton Pointer served as pastor for many years. They also reflected the sisters' engagement with the Bay area's gospel music scene. By the late 1960s, the West Coast had become the epicenter of a new wave of music experimentation that would shift the sound and cultural context of Black sacred music during the latter part of the 20th century. Much of this experimentation took place during the historic "Midnight Musicales" held at The Ephesus Church of God in Christ in Oakland, where musicians Billy Preston, Edwin Hawkins and Andrae Crouch — along with vocalists Tramaine Davis and Lynnette Hawkins — fused Black hymnody and gospel song traditions with the funk aesthetic of James Brown and the rhythms of bossa nova, salsa and progressive rock. June and Bonnie's participation in the COGIC-sponsored Northern California Youth Choir, the ensemble that also produced the Edwin Hawkins Singers' best-selling and influential recording "Oh Happy Day" in 1969, is evidence of how the expansive musical circles that blurred denominational lines and practices during this period ultimately led to the emergence of what would be called Black contemporary gospel. Through these encounters the sisters enhanced the blending of their voices, developed an ear for intricate harmonies and an awareness of how to interpret and perform song lyrics in a manner that provoked a response from listeners.
In case you're interested, the whole article is available online, here: https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/96284076 ... sage-music

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 9, 2023, 7:54 pm

Udon Map wrote:
February 9, 2023, 4:46 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
February 9, 2023, 1:05 pm
Not at all. NPR did a historical perspective of the Pointer Sisters about a year, ago and identified three major components of their music. Here's what NPR said about the second:
The second component of the group's sound was gospel music, especially the gospel group aesthetic of the '50s and '60s. The dynamic that foregrounds both the Pointer Sisters' lead and background vocals were developed while singing in the junior choir at the West Oakland Church of God, where their father Elton Pointer served as pastor for many years. They also reflected the sisters' engagement with the Bay area's gospel music scene. By the late 1960s, the West Coast had become the epicenter of a new wave of music experimentation that would shift the sound and cultural context of Black sacred music during the latter part of the 20th century. Much of this experimentation took place during the historic "Midnight Musicales" held at The Ephesus Church of God in Christ in Oakland, where musicians Billy Preston, Edwin Hawkins and Andrae Crouch — along with vocalists Tramaine Davis and Lynnette Hawkins — fused Black hymnody and gospel song traditions with the funk aesthetic of James Brown and the rhythms of bossa nova, salsa and progressive rock. June and Bonnie's participation in the COGIC-sponsored Northern California Youth Choir, the ensemble that also produced the Edwin Hawkins Singers' best-selling and influential recording "Oh Happy Day" in 1969, is evidence of how the expansive musical circles that blurred denominational lines and practices during this period ultimately led to the emergence of what would be called Black contemporary gospel. Through these encounters the sisters enhanced the blending of their voices, developed an ear for intricate harmonies and an awareness of how to interpret and perform song lyrics in a manner that provoked a response from listeners.
In case you're interested, the whole article is available online, here: https://www.npr.org/2021/02/10/96284076 ... sage-music
Thanks for the link. We're going to a house warming party in Kalasin tomorrow and to my wife's insurance conference on Saturday and Sunday in Udon so I'll probably get a look at it on Sunday.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 10, 2023, 4:52 pm

Well, that is quite an article. It brings many genres of music together with expressions of black politics in an intelligent and comprehensive way. The Pointer Sisters have proven to be a good illustration of how all of that is brought together by them. One problem for me is that many of the musicians named in the article are unfamiliar to me. I am a rock and roll guy whose music universe has centred, for the most part, on the early rockers: Elvis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. I never was very interested in the radio music I heard in the '70s, '80s and up to the present. I did recognise the references to the Andrew Sisters, Big Mama Thornton and Aretha Franklin.

The black politics/divorced, also, is very divorced from that I grew up with and associate with in Canada. Thus, it is difficult for me to identify with. I never had to struggle that way.

Nevertheless, the article is well worth reading as it provides insight into black motivation as they reacted to the society around them. It is quite a story, and one can see the key role that the Pointer Sisters played.

Thanks again for making the article available.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » February 10, 2023, 5:30 pm

vapid
adjective | VAP-id

What It Means

Someone or something described as vapid is lacking in liveliness, force, or spirit. As such, vapid is often synonymous with dull or boring.

// Finn preferred to watch the game in silence, with the TV on mute, rather than listen to the vapid chatter of the play-by-play announcer.

Return to “Open Forum”