Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Re: Reporting from Across the Pacific

Post by pipoz4444 » October 10, 2020, 2:07 pm

Not trying to hijack the post, but for me, Plan A has to be retirement to the LOS

Covid 19 as an issue, may be around for a long time yet, but the travel and immigration restrictions being applied at this time, simply can’t last forever. For if they do, many countries will fall into some form of recession and I dare say, some will even have civil unrest as well. You simply cannot corral people and business forever, whilst at the same time, cutting off the commercial benefit of Tourism which some of the people heavily rely on.

Currently living in Plan B, which is, working outside of Thailand for another 15 months, until hopefully most of the Covid 19 restrictions for re-entry subside or blow over. Ideally when the time comes for re-entry to LOS, the fence to jump over will just be a little bit higher than in the past and my legs will still have enough spring in them.

pipoz4444

That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 10, 2020, 3:09 pm

Lucky for some of us there was a hole in the fence still on plan A

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » October 10, 2020, 10:40 pm

noosard wrote:
October 10, 2020, 3:09 pm
Lucky for some of us there was a hole in the fence still on plan A
I haven' found that hole yet, but I am hoping it will open up at the end of next year. It's just a waiting game at present, waiting to see what eventuates. :-k [-o<

pipoz4444

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 11, 2020, 1:13 am

When we first set foot in Udon in 1996, I asked the old-times from Vietnam days about their concern over things like coups/government instability. Many of them had been through bad times in the 70's, 80's and 90's......but they always told me the problems in Bangkok had no affect on their lives in Udon. That was comforting. Then the red/yellow problems began in Bangkok and ultimately in Udon with the burning of several buildings. Again, unless you were part of either group, life in the jungle was unchanged.
But those events gave me pause to consider life in an overseas location......on a visa/extension. We're guests.....and just like a homeowner can toss out a guest when he/she sees fit, the same goes for us......not just in Thailand, but most any country. I think it's something most expats don't consider......you live in a country for X number of years, grow roots, and feel like you belong. A few friends of mine who set up house in China for many years have returned to their homeland or other countries.......I'd guess there are boatloads more in Hong Kong who are considering the same thing.
I consider myself positive........but like to remember that there is always the possibility of things changing to the negative side. Thus, I've always kept enough eggs in another basket in the event the dream comes to an end.
On that thought......I'm curious how many potential expats to Thailand are giving second thoughts to relocating.....lower exchange rates, tougher immigration rules, chances of covid having an impact on traveling back to visit family members, chances that one country or another will look at the way China views foreigners, the thought that The World is Flat as Thomas Friedman liked to say not so many years ago may not be true. Had the situation been as it is now back in 1995/6 when we walked endless nights in our Texas neighborhood pondering 'should we, shouldn't we......move to Thailand', I doubt we would have moved to Thailand.
If nothing else, having that plan B has resulted in many many years of good sleep. For me, it's proved valuable. Absolutely no regrets.....we're anxious to return......but we'll continue to have that plan b in our hip pocket in case we need it.

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » March 12, 2021, 2:38 am

parrot wrote:
March 28, 2020, 2:04 am
On the positive side ... it's comforting to hear people like Gov Cuomo (NY) or Dr Fauci or LtGen Semonite give briefings on the status of things in the US.
:roll: Some people will believe anything if the right huckster is peddling it.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » August 5, 2021, 7:58 pm

parrot wrote:
March 28, 2020, 2:04 am
On the positive side (r.f.a.t.p)......it's comforting to hear people like Gov Cuomo (NY) or Dr Fauci or LtGen Semonite give briefings on the status of things in the US.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 21, 2022, 11:09 pm

It literally took me less than 10 second to pay my mobile phone bill and recharge the credit amount.

Turned the phone App on, it recognize me (naturally) then my previous Credit Card details popped up and my name appeared

Pressed the Network Package Payment option/amount of ............ and just slide the bar for "Pay" from left to right

Bingo " Payment made and amount credited"

No entering previous CC details, no waiting for an OTP number from the Bank or CC company.

Now back to the TV \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D>

Some things are much easier to do and have much better service, when you are overseas, rather than when in Oz [-( [-(

pipoz4444

Return to “Open Forum”