Gary Jacobi

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
mak
udonmap.com

Re: Gary Jacobi

Post by mak » June 22, 2020, 6:39 pm

After exhausting all options, on Maaka's suggestion, I started a GoFundMe account for Gary. If you go to the GoFundMe website and do a search for Gary Jacoby you will find it.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 23, 2020, 1:57 pm

good one Gus...you done good Mate

https://gf.me/u/yaz53w

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 23, 2020, 3:07 pm

Well done guys. Refreshing to see people trying to help those in need.

=D> =D> =D>

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 23, 2020, 4:40 pm

Your welcome Dean.
In lots of ways we should be looking after each other out here, especially those ones that are sick, and alone.
Generally when it comes time for dying, all you really want is your family around you.. For some, UM is the only family they have..
Give a little if you can fella's. You might be next on my list..

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 23, 2020, 4:57 pm

So far we have four $100 donations. Thank you everyone. That's $387 after GFM fees. Got notice that Tookta's (Gary's wife) electric is about to be disconnected. So I will transfer 4000 baht to her K Bank account to cover the immediate need. The electric bill is 3800 baht, probably for 2 months.

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » June 24, 2020, 8:13 pm

Sad state of affairs, my worst nightmare.

“...marriage appears not to have been registered with the Embassy, so her position is somewhat weakened under US law.”

Really? Is there a marriage license from the amphur? It would seem an English translation would meet the needs of US law. Edit: I see there is a Laos marriage certificate, surely that is valid in the US?

My wife also mentions that it should be doable to have the Thai bank help with getting the wife access to his Thai accounts. They can be very helpful if informed with details of the situation. Maybe a manager would pay a visit to confirm the seriousness, or maybe a doctor’s letter would suffice?

Lastly, falling out or not, family could certainly let bygones be bygones when it comes to a man on his deathbed! Do they know?

Great job helping out, guys.

Just my 2 cents to try and help out. I’ll drop by the gfm page. And then I’ll go and update my multi-page document of all important family and financial details which my wife has in our safe.

Best to all.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 25, 2020, 7:51 am

Yes, I must correct myself..

His wife is Laotian,not Thai, and they were married in Laos, where the Amphur thing doesnt apply, as far as I know..
The marriage is stamped by the powers that be in Laos, and so that should be enough to satisfy USA authorities, but not the USA bank, as the account is in his name only.

He fell out big time along time ago with his family. I have tracked them down, and we communicated with a member, and it was hard for them.

It is not my place to question the whys, and wherefores. just to avail them of the situation, and to get an indication of their stance.

Yes, the only reason I opened up on here, is to make sure UM members get their house in order, with Enduring Power of Attorney, a Will, health insurance, access to accounts for your health needs, pin numbers or passwords, and what you want done when you do kark it..

( I dont care if a man has a separate single bank account, just for the wife to use in such situations when the time comes, if you dont want her knowing your overseas assets, or your not married, or whatever, but have something in place for your hospital care and funeral )

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 25, 2020, 8:45 am

Please repost the above link on any websites you have access to. Thank you.

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » June 25, 2020, 2:43 pm

maaka wrote:
June 25, 2020, 7:51 am
Yes, I must correct myself..

His wife is Laotian,not Thai, and they were married in Laos, where the Amphur thing doesnt apply, as far as I know..
The marriage is stamped by the powers that be in Laos, and so that should be enough to satisfy USA authorities, but not the USA bank, as the account is in his name only.

He fell out big time along time ago with his family. I have tracked them down, and we communicated with a member, and it was hard for them.

It is not my place to question the whys, and wherefores. just to avail them of the situation, and to get an indication of their stance.

Yes, the only reason I opened up on here, is to make sure UM members get their house in order, with Enduring Power of Attorney, a Will, health insurance, access to accounts for your health needs, pin numbers or passwords, and what you want done when you do kark it..

( I dont care if a man has a separate single bank account, just for the wife to use in such situations when the time comes, if you dont want her knowing your overseas assets, or your not married, or whatever, but have something in place for your hospital care and funeral )
Well noted @maaka. Probably at least a few guys who didn’t think that far ahead yet.

I’m one of the lucky ones with a TW who can easily get her hands on the money, but never does.

Prayers for Tookta. Am trying to get the gfm link around, but not a big social guy.

Best to you and @mak for your efforts.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » June 26, 2020, 6:01 am

Many kind guys trying to help Mr. Jacobi out in here. Perhaps I’m completely naive about the helpfulness of a Veterans Service officers I thought they were supposed to help a Vet out regardless of membership in their organization. I’m just throwing this out there if he served in Vietnam and is living in Issan your betting on 50% odds he’s in the VA (Veterans) system at some level already (no facts/statistics just my impression). Everybody’s got a stack of important docs does he have anything that says VA? Any old bank statements with a deposit made on the 1st of the month that says VA comp? What a shame it would be for a Vet to be dying from something related to his service and your wife unaware of the help and benefits she could receive. I’m sure this has been looked into I know the VA can be a major pain in the neck until they get you in the system.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 26, 2020, 12:50 pm

Thanks for your comments Tiger..
Look, this man might as well have just walked out of the Andaman Sea, in nothing but his clothes, for thats all the info he kept at home. or on his persons. No bank statements to whether he is getting his SSA, an army pension, or indeed, whether he even has any moola in his account. So progress as to learning to know this man, has been painstakingly slow in some areas. Blind allys and dead ends, but we are forever creeping forward..

As to Veterans Services help.
I am not an American, I leave that all up to Mak, and the Embassy to deal with, but just for clarification.
I am not sure how it works, but there is obviously a Veterans Association, with Branches spread all over the world. Its a membership thing like my dad was in. Fancy pin on the lapel. However, an off the cuff remark that local boys couldnt help, because Gary wasnt a member, has since had me viewing a recent email from one of those members, stating that he will put a motion forward, to his fellow branch members, that a donation be considered in Garys case.. So hoo yaa to them..

As for the Main HQ VA, and if Gary is entitled to any army benefits / pension etc etc, we are still on the case..
its amazing how much info you can get off a bank statement, but when you dont have one, your flying blind

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » June 26, 2020, 7:52 pm

Thank for that Maaka, I just googled the Gofundme page and the pictures of him in Vietnam and the medal award documents there is all the personal identification needed in those docs to find him in the VA system. It looks like he served in the 1/46 or 5/46 Infantry. A couple thoughts. Is that a giant cancer/open wound on his shoulder, It looks awful! If that’s cancer he’s would be presumptively exposed to agent orange and eligible for benefits and if its the reason he’s bedridden (and it looks it) we are talking over 3K US per month for his family, education and burial benefits etc. I guessing some local Vietnam era vet VSO is all over this and I’m way late to the ideas game.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 27, 2020, 6:13 am

Once again Thanks Tiger for your input., I am learning from your words..you are not late in the game my any means
There is no VSO all over this, as far as I know, Just Mak and me stumbling our way forward, trying to get help where we can.

Veteran Affairs HQ have just said it will take five days to get back to me, regarding my question if Gary has entitlements, if he is currently receiving them into his dreaded bank account, that we so far cant get into..He filed a claim to VA in 2019 for other issues, and was Declined, but in regards to before 2019 that is my question, along with the prompting for help from VA

Yes the huge wound on his shoulder is eating away at him. Skin cancer of some sort, so I am told, but caused by what, I dont know, and I am not a doctor, but the heat of the house doesnt make matters pleasant.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 27, 2020, 4:04 pm

Do you mean Gary has died?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » June 27, 2020, 4:08 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 27, 2020, 4:04 pm
Do you mean Gary has died?
No mate Gordon, posted in wrong heading sorry for confusion.
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 27, 2020, 4:10 pm

Not that I am aware GT.....have no idea who Gordon is.
also a thanks GT from me..wink wink

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 27, 2020, 4:48 pm

tigerryan wrote:
June 26, 2020, 7:52 pm
Thank for that Maaka, I just googled the Gofundme page and the pictures of him in Vietnam and the medal award documents there is all the personal identification needed in those docs to find him in the VA system. It looks like he served in the 1/46 or 5/46 Infantry. A couple thoughts. Is that a giant cancer/open wound on his shoulder, It looks awful! If that’s cancer he’s would be presumptively exposed to agent orange and eligible for benefits and if its the reason he’s bedridden (and it looks it) we are talking over 3K US per month for his family, education and burial benefits etc. I guessing some local Vietnam era vet VSO is all over this and I’m way late to the ideas game.
Not a doctor but that looks like non-melanoma skin cancer (my mate had it) and it isn't one of the current 10 (or proposed 9 additional) medical conditions or illnesses accepted as possibly being caused by AO exposure. However, his wife should have the medical diagnosis so maybe worth double checking what the local doctor was treating him for?

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » June 27, 2020, 6:06 pm

As far as I know he is not receiving any VA benefits. He was receiving SS benefits but his wife cannot access his US bank. The bank has stated they will only deal with him or a power of attorney.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » June 27, 2020, 7:19 pm

Mak maybe a good idea to contact SS in the Philippines if you haven't already done so. They may be able to offer some assistance. Worth a try.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » June 28, 2020, 1:51 am

I am no expert at the VA benefits system my experience is limited to my claim and my fathers claim we were both Infantrymen and have collected the bumps and bruises that came with the job. My Fathers Agent Orange claim was dead simple a complete slam dunk (He jokingly claims to have gotten cancer by sitting around the heart shaped pool at the Paradise hotel in Udorn during the war). The claim can be made online and is dead simple don’t overthink it It only serves as a time stamp.
1. My name is Ranger Highspeed I served in Vietnam US Army 1970 social number is 555 55 I got sprayed by Agent Orange.
2. Im sick in bed I cant even lift my head I’m so sick. I’m sick because of the cancer I have caused by the Agent Orange you sprayed on me in the goddamn war you wouldn’t let me win
3. My wife cant find my medical or service records and I’m to sick to look. EVAlUATE ME AND MY CANCER FOR EXPOSURE TO AGENT ORANGE AND SEND ME A COPY OF ALL OF MY SERVICE AND MEDICAL REECORDS.
That’s it stop talking
At some point in the future 90 days to 90 years they will send you a letter saying anything from you don’t actually exist to you were supposed to be at an appointment in Minneapolis five day before you claim date. Your benefits are retroactively paid to your claim date. FIle the claim now work out the details later. You don’t need to prove or disprove anything at this point. I hope I’m wrong but I’m assuming Mr. Jacobi ain’t going to make it. If on the death certificate its stated cancer as cause of death that’s good from his wife’s perspective if it’s stated that the cause of death was specifically one of the nine or so presumptive Agent Orange cancers then it’s golden slam dunk because by VA law its presumptive(she may need to advocate for herself here). If I were the misses I would take a bit of the GoFundMe money and have a local doctor (somebody with MD or even RN but real credentials) evaluate him and look for any of the cancers on the list. It could be worth many tens of thousands to his wife and family.

Return to “Open Forum”