Do you know anybody who can teach my Thai-girl English ?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
goldennafets

Do you know anybody who can teach my Thai-girl English ?

Post by goldennafets » June 25, 2007, 5:22 pm

I need an english teacher in Nong Khai who can teach my Thai-girl and her daughters english during Aug to Dec-07 .
Must speak Thai and English.
Thanks in advance

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 25, 2007, 6:51 pm

There are several individuals and some English schools here in NK.How old is your daughter and what language does she speak now?

goldennafets

Thanks for your answer

Post by goldennafets » June 26, 2007, 1:28 pm

Thanks Bkkstan.
My Thai-girl is 38 years old and daughters...17 and 23 years old.
The daughters already go to school, but they need extra lessons in english.
So what I want is a private teacher who talk english and thai, who can teach them for 3-6 month.
They can understand.....some english, and they only speak thai.
Right now, my thai-girl are together with me in sweden, and will go back
in beginning of aug.
Our plan is to live halftime in sweden and haftime in Nong khai.
So we think to learn english is more effective then to learn swedish, since most of the people in sweden talk english.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » June 26, 2007, 1:35 pm

I strongly recommend against using a teacher that will speak Thai in the tutoring sessions. It is a self defeating proposition.

They need to learn to think in English - not Thai and then translate to English.

This is one of the reasons the English language program in Thailand is failing as the Thai language is used in the program. Teachers say something in Thai - and then have the student translate to English. Then, they will say something in English and have the student translate to Thai. As a result - the entire speaking process becomes a two stage program which makes fluent English speaking exceptionally difficult.

There are falang teachers in Nong Khai that would be a good choice, I am sure. There is also - I believe - someone there with a Doctorate that might be a good alternative as well. Don't know much about him - but you can find more about him and how to get in touch with him by contacting the Tourist Police in NK. He does quite a bit of work with them - and is getting reasonable results.
Ain't Easy Being Me

goldennafets

Thank you my friend

Post by goldennafets » June 26, 2007, 3:13 pm

I will follow your advice.
We will take contact with the tourist police.
Thanks again

goldennafets

Post by goldennafets » June 26, 2007, 9:21 pm

Albert, thanks for your mail.
I have mailed you back.
Thanks
Stefan

JustanPearson
udonmap.com

Post by JustanPearson » June 26, 2007, 9:59 pm

Hello I will be Comeing to Thailand Next year August 2008 for 6 to 12 months
And willing to to teach english My partner speaks Thai and English as I only speak English
But I'm willing to teach english Cheaper then the going rate... I can ask my partner if they would like to earn some extra Baht as he goes to school in Udon and stays in Udon While he learns I will ask him if your still interested
Justan
Justan Pearson

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » June 27, 2007, 2:40 am

Judging from the wording of your post - my professional opinion - as a qualified, licensed and certified Teacher of English a foreign language - you are not qualified to teach anyone anything.

Just because you can speak English does not mean that you know how to teach English.

I suggest that you stay at your "NO FIXED ADDRESS" and not offer your teaching services to anyone. You will do them more harm than good.

Of course - just a personal opinion...

EVIDENCE: "I can ask my partner if they would like to earn some extra Baht as he goes to school in Udon and stays in Udon While he learns I will ask him if your still interested"
Ain't Easy Being Me

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 27, 2007, 3:46 am

Whos' Albert ? :-k
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » June 27, 2007, 5:09 am

Have to agree with Doc there... =D>

Language teaching is a profession, best left to qualified (and preferably experienced) professional Teachers.

goldennafets

Post by goldennafets » June 27, 2007, 1:40 pm

Doc....I will, once again...follow your advice.

Beer Monkey....Alberts profilname is Alby, and he mailed me and offer to teach my Thai-girl and her daughters.

Thank you all for your helping answer
Stefan

nemesis
udonmap.com

Post by nemesis » June 27, 2007, 4:41 pm

The world according to Doc said:
Judging from the wording of your post - my professional opinion - as a qualified, licensed and certified Teacher of English a foreign language - you are not qualified to teach anyone anything. [end quote]

Please consult this link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/educ ... 369567.stm

valentine

Post by valentine » June 27, 2007, 5:22 pm

nemesis wrote:The world according to Doc said:
Judging from the wording of your post - my professional opinion - as a qualified, licensed and certified Teacher of English a foreign language - you are not qualified to teach anyone anything. [end quote]

Please consult this link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/educ ... 369567.stm
H Sunday, 26 November, 2000, 01:21 GMT
'Having viewed that link, I couldn,t resist copying one of the headings from it.

Fake doctor factory' awards degrees :lol: :lol: :lol:

valentine

Post by valentine » June 27, 2007, 8:35 pm

Doc wrote:Judging from the wording of your post - my professional opinion - as a qualified, licensed and certified Teacher of English a foreign language - you are not qualified to teach anyone anything.
Doc I have been asked to ask you what and where were your qualifications you refer to above were obtained. Perhaps you will enlighten us all.

BanPhu
udonmap.com

Post by BanPhu » June 27, 2007, 11:44 pm

Val

Me english techer tort me aginst bouble useage off thee wurd "were", tut tut

JustanPearson
udonmap.com

Post by JustanPearson » June 28, 2007, 2:47 am

well FIRST I was born in Canada and my English is very good
Second It was a offer
Itstead of saying all the things you guys say
Why not just NO THANK YOU ??

AND FOR maybe A FREE SERVICE who CAN COMPLAIN??

speaking english IS easy

He said "he wanted someone to help his kids and wife speak ENGLISH" he did not say he wanted a professional teacher ... SO stuff yah go waste your money on a Professional teacher who knows maybe your wife and kids will become professional and become English Teacher them selves...

Last time I try and help someone
Justan Pearson

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » June 28, 2007, 4:19 am

First of all, the fact that you were born in Canada means nothing as far as teaching English in a competent manner is concerned. From your posts, it is clear that you do not have a good grasp of the fundamentals of English grammar. You should not even attempt to teach English to anyone. I would be appalled if you did.

Your anger is misplaced too. The respondents would like, I am sure, that teachers of English in Udon be a little more professional, at least to the extent that you would be able to provide some assurance that the students under your care would learn to speak English well. You are most likely very competent in your area of specialty, but teaching English does not seem to be one of those fields.

Speaking English is easy, but to do so competently and correctly sometimes takes a bit of effort, and an understanding of how words and sentences flow together.

valentine

Post by valentine » June 28, 2007, 6:06 am

BanPhu wrote:Val

Me english techer tort me aginst bouble useage off thee wurd "were", tut tut
Undoubtedly your English teacher was correct, It may be your optician that has a problem. Where and were although similar in appearance at a quick glance, in fact have totally different meanings.As you say, tut tut. :lol: :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » June 28, 2007, 7:17 am

''Last time I try and help someone''?,'' I'm willing to teach english Cheaper then the going rate..''

These 2 statements plus your spelling and grammar in your postings would rule you out of a situation for teaching to a very good standard,IMO!

I am not a professional in the English language(I'm sure most forumites would agree),it being my worst and hardest subject throughout my formal education!

I did teach my stepdaughter to communicate in English and it served ''ME'' well!I supplemnted my instruction with her Thai tutor that was a University student majoring in English that spoke it fairly well!BOTH things were a mistake IMO!7 years later,she has major problems with grammar and it is difficult to get her to focus on grammar lessons as she feels very accomplished in her ability to communicate in English(reminds me of myself at her age :lol: :( )!
If I were to do it all over again,I would have hired a ''professional English teacher''of high quality.The difference would be that her English might offer HER a brighter future,rather than just make communicating with me easier!

I hope sharing my experience enlightens the original poster and helps with his choice!

JustanPearson
udonmap.com

Post by JustanPearson » June 28, 2007, 8:43 am

ahhhhhhh CANADIAN EH!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Well TAKE OFF THEN U HOSER :D

BASIC ENGLISH IS EASY 8)

1` 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
You only need a few good words the rest falls into place
BEER TOILET I'm HUNGRY and where do I sleep :razz:
Justan Pearson

Return to “Open Forum”