A little question

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
iciodaverona
udonmap.com

A little question

Post by iciodaverona » July 7, 2005, 3:02 pm

Hi people :)

Can someone of you answer to a little tecnical question about cellular phones in Udon Thani?

I have a Nokia 3310 cell phone and my company (Vodafone) activated international roaming, telling me that in Northern Thailand i can use it connecting to Orange, but i have a little doubt; the frequency of this old telephone model is supported by Orange in Udon :?:

Thank you for helping and for kindness.
Ciao, Icio.

"sii montagna nella tempesta, non spiga di grano nella brezza"

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 7, 2005, 4:06 pm

I had a Nokia 3310 a few years ago and was on the Orange service in the UK - when I turned it on after getting off the plane in Thailand - I was instantly connected to AIS (Thailand). So I guess the answer to your question is yes it will work. If my memory serves me right the 3310 is dual band (so it will work in most places except the USA where u would need a tri band phone.)

If all else fails buy a new phone here and sim card - they are amazingly cheap. or even buy a second hand phone when u get here just to use whilst you are here - less than 2000 baht for a Nokia.

Hope this helps

iciodaverona
udonmap.com

Thanks

Post by iciodaverona » July 7, 2005, 9:04 pm

Thank you Paul, it helps very much. Hope my "oldie" works in Thailand.

Ciao, Icio :)

john2005
udonmap.com

Post by john2005 » July 10, 2005, 11:56 am

Watch out for the bill when you get home.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » July 10, 2005, 1:45 pm

john2005 wrote:Watch out for the bill when you get home.
Many a true word John, I always get a Thai sim card when over, saves a fortune compared to paying UK network rates.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 10, 2005, 2:35 pm

average sim card price = 250 baht (inc. 50 baht free calls)

Be aware that all purchases of sim cards now have to be registered and u will need a copy of ur passport. All existing sim cards have to be registered too befor December - or you will be cut off (apparently)

iciodaverona
udonmap.com

Good suggestions

Post by iciodaverona » July 10, 2005, 4:39 pm

Thank you all for your help, gentlemen.

My friend Stefano (the one that comes with me in august) owns a thai sim card and maybe is better for me too to buy one, when i am in Udon.

250 baht is a really chep prize (5 Euro, if i'm correct) incredible in Italy, and the savings surely are more than the spending with my italian sim card with international roaming.

See you next time! :)
Ciao, Icio.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Re: Good suggestions

Post by BangkokButcher » July 11, 2005, 12:47 am

iciodaverona wrote: 250 baht is a really chep prize (5 Euro, if i'm correct) incredible in Italy, and the savings surely are more than the spending with my italian sim card with international roaming.

See you next time! :)
Ciao, Icio.
Yep 250 baht is cheap, but u can get them for free in the UK as long as u know the right people, but thats another story :)

Without a doubt it will be cheaper than roaming with your italian sim though :)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 11, 2005, 11:39 am

Well Orange networks latest (help us were sinking) promotion is to give away free sim cards to 'selected people' (a lot of Uni. students I know have them) and also these come pre loaded with credit too !!!!

They are hoping that people will switch and use Orange.

Their biggest problem is coverage (amongst others) and this is why people are abandoning the service.

If you bring your sim card here from abroad that you purchased previously in Thailand - it has to be registered sometime in the 6 month period June - December 05

Having said that - all the cards I ever bought expire automatically if you dont keep them topped up regularly.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 11, 2005, 3:11 pm

I got Orange last time I was in Udon (March/April) and then dumped them.

Even though I was in or around centre of Udon I was rarely able to get a connection - it appeared to me that their network was nearly always saturated.

Switched to 1-2-CALL (call charges more expensive than Orange :( ) and all of a sudden all my calls were getting through.

I think that the saturated network could be due in part to some of the female of the species using mobiles as permanent hand held earrings! :D

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 11, 2005, 4:18 pm

Firstly: 1-2-call is the service I use and I cannot believe how cheap their calls are. I pay 2 baht for the first minute then just 25 satang after that (3 baht the first minute to other networks- then the same 0.25 after that).
This promotion came about as part of a price war and was matched my the other networks and has made me extremely happy :) SMS (text) messages are 2 baht each.

When I think about the prices I was paying in the UK - It brings a smile to my face :)

How long this will last - who knows. My deal ends at the end of the year and its anybody's guess what will happen then (Perhaps Orange will not exist by then ?)

As regards not being able to get through, well that is/was a contentious subject as it appears (but is denied of course) that certain networks were blocking calls to networks other than their own. This was apparent as if you had the same sim card - the person could be called, but if the sims were different companies, the call could not be connected. Coincidence ?? hmmmmm. The press picked up on it and there were too many instances for it to be a fluke - but denied by the companies of course.

Now who was it that owns a major telephone company in thailand - ermmmmmmmmm???

Shame about Orange as the big boys bully them into the sidelines. their rates were always better but the coverage is lousy - as people have found.

Certain cynical people in Thailand have accused the latest phone registration scheme as a ploy to have documented information about mobile phone users (ie. name /ID card number/ location/ and most importantly network provider). the story of it being an anti-terrorist measure is somewhat of a joke.

Now who was it who owns a major telephone company in Thailand ?????

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 12, 2005, 2:45 am

My Italian is little rusty, what dos "sii montagna nella tempesta, non spiga di grano nella brezza" means??? Just curious! :?:

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 12, 2005, 3:02 am

I got the Google translation tool to have a go and it came up with:

"Be mountain in the storm, not grain ear in the breeze".

Only thing is as I don't speak Italian I don't know how accurate it is. :?

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 12, 2005, 10:46 am

:wink: O, ok. Thanks....

iciodaverona
udonmap.com

Post by iciodaverona » July 13, 2005, 4:42 pm

The Google translation is perfect!

It's only the ending of one "famous" Icio's poetry! (title: Battle) :wink:

Ciao, Icio

Return to “Open Forum”