My first beer

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

My first beer

Post by stattointhailand » October 14, 2021, 10:49 am

Where & when?

DM wrote:- "my first drink as ayougster was via Ind Coope in the form of cans of Double Diamond... though i soon took to others such as Old Tom mild and John Smiths Bitter."

Got me thinking that my first beer (?) would have been at the Princes Hotel in Dartford 1967. Half pint of Brown Ale when coach returning from Folkestone FC v Romford stopped for refreshment.

Can anyone else remember their first beer? (in a pub/bar, not a shandy at xmas or at a wedding)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: My first beer

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 14, 2021, 10:59 am

A glass of cider when I was 7 given by my father as he didn’t realise that it’s the same strength as beer, at my paternal grandmothers funeral, apparently I ran around for an hour then went to sleep for 3 hours.

After that I was 13, was let into a country pub just after closing time as it was a long walk from our campsite beside the canal we were canoeing along, we were told to sit down and wait until the doors were locked and shutters closed, I was sitting beside a pleasant older man, got chatting to him, and asked if there would be any problems with the local Mr. Plod, he laughed and said that he could guarantee that it was OK, slightly confused I asked how he could be so sure. The answer was “because I am off duty now and I can see that none of you are trying to drink too much”. We all had either pints or halves along with pork scratchings and crisps, stayed about an hour then walked the mile or 2 back to our campsite.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 14, 2021, 11:37 am

After most of us got our driver's licenses, we were guilty of drinking while driving. Back then the police didn't make a big deal of it and we never actually got drunk. Our parents would have certainly noticed. Back then a six pack cost a dollar. We didn't have much money but could usually scrape up enough for a six pack.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » October 14, 2021, 3:00 pm

I started playing senior cricket when I was 14. A couple of older blokes who I played with asked my dad if they could buy me a beer after a game one Saturday evening at the bar in the social club. My dad said that if I was playing cricket with the men I could have a beer with the men. This would have been in the 1981/82 season. A glass of Carlton Draught from memory. 40 years ago.
Attachments
beer-glass2-300x300.jpg
beer-glass2-300x300.jpg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 2128 times
Watch Me!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 14, 2021, 3:05 pm

geez.. first beer. Takes me back to when I was a little squeezer and we wre visiting relatives up in the backwoods of upstate New York. My uncle Pearly had got home from the mill and was sitting on his enclosed front porch talking with my dad. When I wandered out, I must have been 7 or 8 years old, he offered me a swig off his beer. Tried it, tasted like piss to me back then. It is ya know, an acquired taste!
Dave

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 14, 2021, 3:20 pm

About this time of the year, 58 years ago. Baseball club end-of-year wind-up at the Shenton Park RSL Club.

A couple of shandys from pissed (American) uncle, and then snuck a couple of more full glasses from the 10 gallon keg of Swan Lager. May have also been my first hangover. 🍺

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 14, 2021, 4:08 pm

After being caught in me olde mans "home brew" beer cellar at the age of about 14 he was surprisingly tolerant and taught me about the whole process and appreciation of the different recipes.
Stilled brewed his beer up until his demise at 85 in 2009.
Edit:
Just to add me and my mate were smoking his dreaded "Peter Jacksons" cork tip cigarettes when caught!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 14, 2021, 4:42 pm

The Earl of Aberdeen Arms Hotel in New Deer, Aberdeenshire on 22 August 1972. The service was rubbish in the lounge so I gave up waiting for my first beer, went across the hall into the pubic bar and got my second.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » October 15, 2021, 3:14 am

Arh yes, remember it well. Was 15 years old and my mate called me all excited telling me at last he'd experienced his first blow job. I told my older brother and he got us into the local pub to celebrate! After about our 3rd Vaux waggle dance beer my mate explained how the BJ was awesome and at last the beer had got rid of the salty taste.......

timmy
udonmap.com

Post by timmy » October 15, 2021, 6:54 am

cant remember my first beer , as granddad had a pub ( the Swan ) in Biddulph S.O.T , every time you were ill it was the top shelf every time it was good weather you got beer or cider , they all have a lot to answer for ...

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 15, 2021, 7:32 am

A friend and I ditch the last day of school and went to the Tainui Hotel in school uniform
Staff didnt even blink about underage drinkers
Tainui Hotel was a Dominion Brewery pub so would have a few jugs of DB

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 15, 2021, 7:40 am

noosard wrote:
October 15, 2021, 7:32 am
A friend and I ditch the last day of school and went to the Tainui Hotel in school uniform
Staff didnt even blink about underage drinkers
Tainui Hotel was a Dominion Brewery pub so would have a few jugs of DB
DID THE SCHOOL UNIFORM HAVE SLEEVES ???

As previously stated my first slurp was Double Diamond in a can swiftly follwed by Old Tom mild , Brown ale n John Smiths ,,i was 15 nearly 16 and it was in the back room of the rough n ready Ironstone Wharf inn on Gunness docks on the river Trent , it over looked the famous Keadby Bridge... 40 years ago it seems like yesterday and the same landlady is in that pub to this day..Lexi Dennet ..marvelous woman cos she let me move into the public bar at 16.

I sometimes wonder how much money i would have saved by never drinking .. but hey ho had some great times out on the lash.. n proud to say NEVER smoked a cigarette in all my life !!! tho back in those dayd public bars were thick with smoke and blue language so passively probably done a pack or two and learnt a few naughty words.

Good call on this thread Statto.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » October 15, 2021, 8:08 am

Winter shirts had long sleeves was summer so probably short sleeves

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » October 15, 2021, 9:19 am

Probably a bottle of Whitbread Pale Ale something or other sat in front of a coal fire in the dark during the miners strikes and 3 day week when I was a kid. My father worked for the brewery so used to bring home freebies.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 15, 2021, 11:26 am

woodpecker cider outside the oxcart pub at 13, first larger at the roundhead at 14 possibly fosters, first bitter in the white lion at 15. not a clue what is was but at only 50p a pint so who cared.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 15, 2021, 1:04 pm

First pub pint, 14 year old sneaked in with older guys from the sea fishing club. Pint of light was 1s-9p, heavy 1-11, lager 2 bob. My mother went down to the pub and got them to bar me about 6 months later when I went home half pissed on a school night. They have a lot to answer for that mob.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » October 15, 2021, 9:47 pm

Being tea total I am shocked at your replies obviously affected you in later life

Stoeger
udonmap.com

Post by Stoeger » October 16, 2021, 7:25 am

You never forget the time you had your first beer (a right of passage)! It was the start of a whole new life experience viewing the world with your friends through the bottom of a beer glass! Many good times were had including a fist fight or two and many stories were told! If only half of them were true, it was a great way to pass the time!

Hangovers went with the territory and luckily those little red wires kept your eyeballs from falling out in the morning! We all said we would never, ever drink to excess again and within a day or two, we were back in the pub with our buds!

If I had all the money I spent on drinking in the U.S. Navy around the world, I could have retired at age 25! Looking back, I would do the same think all over again as the comaraderie was priceless!

Remember, nothing good ever came out of eating a salad!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: My LAST beer

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 16, 2021, 8:59 am

DMFeeling a bit fuzzy this morning and even mi dogs wont lick me ...... hence forth It is will great sorrow i confirm that after 40 years slurping ale i have decided that enough is enough and i will be quitting as of today ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: My LAST beer

Post by Khun Paul » October 16, 2021, 11:12 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 16, 2021, 8:59 am
DMFeeling a bit fuzzy this morning and even mi dogs wont lick me ...... hence forth It is will great sorrow i confirm that after 40 years slurping ale i have decided that enough is enough and i will be quitting as of today ..

DM
There would appear to be to this than you are alluding to, however, if that is your decision , bravely taken and said. Good luck with weaning your body off it .

Return to “Open Forum”