climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by Whistler » January 2, 2023, 12:22 pm

Happy new year Rick,

Given this recent article, it certainly looks like there is an awful lot of investment slated for H this year, it will be interesting to observe. I read that the Hysata electrolyser operates at 95% efficiency. If that is scalable it will change the ball game.

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » January 3, 2023, 8:25 am

Well, always possible new technology could change things. Also need public acceptance. One village in UK is being converted from Natural gas to Hydrogen as an experiment, about half the villagers are unhappy, although done at no cost to them. Think Hindenburg.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 22, 2023, 10:01 am

Meanwhile in Davos...

The rich and powerful flocked to Davos via private jet to discuss climate change

https://news.yahoo.com/the-rich-and-pow ... 43594.html
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 22, 2023, 11:39 am

They should have walked.

Seriously however, isn't this a bit of biting the hand? These powerful individuals have the capacity to make a positive change, would it really matter if it was an uptick in private jets or an uptick of regular airline flights. Were there sufficient scheduled flights to get there? I have a friend who attended, I will ask his opinion.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 22, 2023, 2:19 pm

No excuses offered, none required.
Screenshot_20230122-141728~2.png
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 22, 2023, 2:36 pm

phac.gif

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 22, 2023, 3:11 pm

That's one reason why some of us cynical bar stewards can't take this Climate Change crap seriously.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 22, 2023, 3:29 pm

If you believe climate change (global warming) is crap, I reckon "cynical" is the wrong word.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 22, 2023, 3:34 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 22, 2023, 3:29 pm
If you believe climate change (global warming) is crap, I reckon "cynical" is the wrong word.
Climate deniers will twist anything around to hang onto their views.

How on earth could the poster make any connection between the use of private jets by wealthy people and the mountains of proof that climate change is real?

Wealthy people have private jets, so climate change is not real!

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 22, 2023, 3:43 pm

You are missing the point
The hypocrisy of their massive carbon foot print to go some over priced location,
to discuss climate change and the causes

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 22, 2023, 4:10 pm

What has the prices at the location got to do with anything, they paid their own way and are entitled to stay where they wish. They put their own money up front to travel from all over the world to do something, not a bad thing at all.

Maybe it is worth waiting to see what comes out of the conference, if it produces outcomes that significantly contribute to climate action, the 'massive' emissions might be small beer.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » January 22, 2023, 4:16 pm

noosard wrote:
January 22, 2023, 3:43 pm
You are missing the point
The hypocrisy of their massive carbon foot print to go some over priced location,
to discuss climate change and the causes
Exactly, if these people were serious they would find other means to communicate, errrrr, how about a video call, just a good old jolly up. If they were really serious they would bang the drum about world overpopulation, after all humans are the cause of the problem aren't they?
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 22, 2023, 4:36 pm

Virtual conferences were tried at the height of the Covid pandemic, they didn't work.

But let's let your logic run its full course.

Parliaments should be disbanded.
The United Nations should be virtualise
Medical conferences of all types should be abandoned
Etc etc.

Conferences have break out sessions, there is a huge amount of networking that takes place, human interaction is a natural way of things.

More than anything else, these members are perfectly entitled to organise their own affairs. Sniping from the sidelines is simply petty.

Greenpeace who claim to fight for the world's environment should be ashamed of themselves for leveling criticism at the conference. It will not of course stop them from soliciting donations from the same people that they are slamming. That is hypocrisy.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » January 22, 2023, 4:38 pm

Whistler wrote:
January 22, 2023, 4:36 pm
Virtual conferences were tried at the height of the Covid pandemic, they didn't work.

Yeah no cocktail party to attend

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 22, 2023, 4:46 pm

noosard wrote:
January 22, 2023, 4:38 pm
Whistler wrote:

So you never in your life had drinks with your workmates after hours, never went to a works Xmas party, never went to a FES lunch or dinner. You must have been a miserable sod.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 22, 2023, 5:03 pm

Whistler wrote:
January 22, 2023, 4:10 pm
What has the prices at the location got to do with anything, they paid their own way and are entitled to stay where they wish. They put their own money up front to travel from all over the world to do something, not a bad thing at all.

Maybe it is worth waiting to see what comes out of the conference, if it produces outcomes that significantly contribute to climate action, the 'massive' emissions might be small beer.
What? This bash in Davos could deliver the solutions that every COP has failed to do since Berlin in 1995?

I think I'll have another Old Pulteney, thanks.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 22, 2023, 5:07 pm

I used to love the work meetings ........ nothing better than having to get up at 03:30am to catch the 04:50am train to be in York for a 10:00am meeting :roll:

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 22, 2023, 5:11 pm

tamada wrote:
January 22, 2023, 5:03 pm
Whistler wrote:
January 22, 2023, 4:10 pm

What? This bash in Davos could deliver the solutions that every COP has failed to do since Berlin in 1995?

I think I'll have another Old Pulteney, thanks.
So if there is progress without it being a silver bullet, it is a failure? If COP has been pretty damned weak we should never try anything else? The only pass mark is 100%

A very hard taskmaster.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 22, 2023, 5:13 pm

Whistler wrote:
Virtual conferences were tried at the height of the Covid pandemic, they didn't work. ...
Didn't work for who? Any evidence or citations on how the civilized world got through the worst of the pandemic on virtual conferences that "didn't work"?
..Greenpeace who claim to fight for the world's environment should be ashamed of themselves for leveling criticism at the conference. It will not of course stop them from soliciting donations from the same people that they are slamming. That is hypocrisy.
Isn't the hypocrisy firmly nested with "same people" who drop token sums in the activist's begging bowl before jetting off to Davos?

I'm not a Greenpeace fan by any stretch of the foreskin but the notion that these talking heads are actively going to network off-piste and come up with tangibles?

Another Old Pulteney please.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 22, 2023, 5:15 pm

Whistler wrote:
January 22, 2023, 4:46 pm
noosard wrote:
January 22, 2023, 4:38 pm
Whistler wrote:

So you never in your life had drinks with your workmates after hours, never went to a works Xmas party, never went to a FES lunch or dinner. You must have been a miserable sod.
Satire missed.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Open Forum”