climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Barney
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by Barney » August 17, 2022, 12:59 pm

Whistler wrote:I am no expert on the Maldives,

Finally!!!! An admission you are not an expert on a subject.
But it never stops you from making uniformed comment on UM members posts. Usually with a personal derogatory comment at the end.

They are investing in new resorts and runways, why would this be if the island was sinking.
I assume you have never been to the Maldives, just like the barrier reef.
With your 6 figure salary you should take your wife on a holiday there to see for your self.
Bon voyage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 17, 2022, 2:27 pm

Barney wrote:
August 17, 2022, 12:59 pm
Whistler wrote:I am no expert on the Maldives,

Finally!!!! An admission you are not an expert on a subject.
But it never stops you from making uniformed comment on UM members posts. Usually with a personal derogatory comment at the end.

They are investing in new resorts and runways, why would this be if the island was sinking.
I assume you have never been to the Maldives, just like the barrier reef.
With your 6 figure salary you should take your wife on a holiday there to see for your self.
Bon voyage

There you go again, full of BS.

Here is what the President of the Maldives had to say about threats to his small nation

https://abcnews.go.com/International/fa ... 0the%20U.N.

You claim to know more about the Maldives than the President of that country! Amazing.

As for never having visited the Barrier Reef, wrong again. After leaving school I was, for a while a professional diver, also a member of the Sans Souci Dolphins Spearfishing club, I dove all over Australia including the Barrier reef on many occasions.

and Barney, I don't have wife.

Before you make any more silly posts, get your facts right.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 22, 2022, 8:47 pm

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 22, 2022, 8:54 pm

I can see where you are coming from Barney.

Let's just keep going the way we have for the past 100 years - it is working out so well. :mad:

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » August 22, 2022, 9:02 pm

Nuclear energy is the only current solution I see. Yet due to a smallish incident in Japan most countries backed away from it.
I'm amazed Germany have reverted to coal. It is unbelievable.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 22, 2022, 9:34 pm

I have had a look, and found no other sources back up this rather biased article, the graph below is typical of the many sources I looked at.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/elec ... ce-stacked

The report concentrated only on solar and wind, but even these figures are at odds with almost every other analysis. The report pointedly ignores the acceleration of the renewable sector, now running at about 8% growth per annum. Fossil fuels are estimated to be around 2/3rds of all sources according to most analysts, not 84% as claimed by this group.

What I do agree with, is the point that it will take decades to shift from fossil fuels to renewables, the challenge from enlightened governments is to manage that transition by not crushing communities dependent on fossil fuel production, nor risking their energy security without a well-thought-out transition strategy. I am of a view that it is now too late to avoid the damage that fossil fuels have caused and we have been much too late in responding. The climate deniers including some prominent heads of state have caused a lot of damage to our environment.

Barney is of course a vociferous climate change denier based on his posts on the subject. Once again he is cherry-picking information on the web that supports his biased view.

Despite all, the world is moving to renewables, the climate deniers can cling to their peculiar head-in-the-sand attitudes, they are an increasingly isolated minority, eventually, they will go the same way that the equally dangerous, tobacco-loving ratbags went in days gone by.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » August 22, 2022, 10:13 pm

The climate zealots amongst us are so predictable.

https://youtu.be/LX_ph58ESdM

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 22, 2022, 10:20 pm

Somebody shoot the messenger.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 22, 2022, 10:24 pm

Matt Canavon. 55. The most right wing pollie in Australia, whose party got totally rubbished last election from an Australian voting public that does not accept a word he says.

Barney, instead of posting more cherry-picked info, why not at least attempt to address the comments I made about figures, not just trot out the views of others who are now a minority in Australia and got kicked out of government for those discredited views.

Address the facts not the rhetoric. Do you still claim that fossil fuels represent 84% of the source for electricity generation and if you do, please quote a credible source.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » August 22, 2022, 11:19 pm

I also had a quick look at the percentages of primary energy sources, and did also find that the percentages fluctuated a fair bit depending on the source. This could be because they use data collected in different years, but i did find that on

https://ourworldindata.org/energy-mix

that it says only 15.7% comes from Renewables and Nuclear. Issues - how do they count all the distributed sources for biomass and solar, and no mention of energy derived from humans and animals, or 'Passive' energy (e.g. heat from the sun). Until about 1800 A.D., 99% of our energy was not fossil or nuclear. Even since then, energy consumption only took off about 1950 A.D. - it has risen about 7 fold in the last 70 years.

Globally, there has been only a slow growth in renewables, but some countries have done far more than others - also reduced consumption counts - the UK gets 21% of its energy from renewables and Nuclear, and has reduced it's total energy consumption by 30% in the last 20 years.

However, i agree with Whistler that the change has been left far to late - the world is going to be a tough place to live in for our children. Forget 1.5 degrees Centigrade of Warming, that will happen by 2030; 2 degrees will be difficult. Just have to look at the record temperatures the last couple of years, the droughts, floods all hitting new highs - and the worlds forests are going up in smoke faster than we can plant them.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 23, 2022, 6:11 am

Three months of rain falls on Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex over an eighteen hour period. Five inches per hour recorded in some areas. The 1000-year flood that ravaged Seoul last month lands in Texas.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/hea ... a-88700298
Last edited by tamada on August 23, 2022, 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 23, 2022, 6:14 am

Heatwave and drought across China.

An estimated 66 rivers across 34 counties in southwestern region of Chongqing have dried up, China state media reports. https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/8/1 ... save-crops
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » August 23, 2022, 6:29 am

Whistler wrote:
August 22, 2022, 10:24 pm
Matt Canavon. 55. The most right wing pollie in Australia, whose party got totally rubbished last election from an Australian voting public that does not accept a word he says.

Barney, instead of posting more cherry-picked info, why not at least attempt to address the comments I made about figures, not just trot out the views of others who are now a minority in Australia and got kicked out of government for those discredited views.

Address the facts not the rhetoric. Do you still claim that fossil fuels represent 84% of the source for electricity generation and if you do, please quote a credible source.
More rubbish from whistles. Matt Canavan, a great National Party member. I dont think the Nats lost a seat at the last election, please correct me if I am wrong whistles and name the seats if any were lost, thats a good boy.

Figures figures and more figures, who makes up this stuff. Oh thats right the lefties snowflakes and greens to suit their agenda. They are so involved with climate change they cannot back out now when it is becoming more clear that CC is just a natural occurrence, they cannot lose face. And I will not be supplying credible sources, look it up yourselves with an open mind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 23, 2022, 7:20 am

Sport wrote:
August 23, 2022, 6:29 am

I dont think the Nats lost a seat at the last election, please correct me if I am wrong whistles and name the seats if any were lost, thats a good boy.
You are (wrong) - that would be the Senate seat they dropped in Queensland. =D>

ps I understand your dilemma in being unable to provide credible sources. ;)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 23, 2022, 8:15 am

There is no National party in Queensland. It is the LNP. They also lost Brisbane and Ryan in the lower house.

Loved the comment 'And I will not be supplying credible sources'. Perhaps should be edited to 'And I can not be supplying credible sources'
Last edited by Whistler on August 23, 2022, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 23, 2022, 8:37 am

Damian Carrington recently penned this description

'Climate deniers are not all the same. They tend to fit into one of four different categories: the shill, the grifter, the egomaniac and the ideological fool.

The shill is the easiest to understand. He, and it almost always is he, is paid by vested interests to emit clouds of confusion about the science or economics of climate action. This uncertainty creates a smokescreen behind which polluters can lobby against measures that cut their profits.

A sadder case is that of the grifters. They have found themselves earning a living by grinding out contrarian articles for rightwing media outlets. Do they actually believe the guff they write? It doesn’t matter: they just warm their hands on the outrage, count the clicks and wait for the pay cheque.

The egomaniacs are also tragic figures. They are disappointed, frustrated people whose careers have stalled and who can’t understand why the world refuses to give full reverence to their brilliance. They are desperate for recognition, and, when it stubbornly refuses to arrive, they are drawn to make increasingly extreme pronouncements, in the hope of finally being proved a dogma-busting, 21st-century Galileo.

The ideological fool is the fourth type of climate denier, and they can be intelligent. But they are utterly blinded by their inane, no-limits version of the free-market creed. The climate emergency requires coordinated global action, they observe, and that looks horribly like communism in disguise.

They could explore the many credible climate action plans being pursued, including by those on the political right. But their cognitive dissonance forces them to the conclusion that because state intervention is wrong, acting to avert climate danger cannot be right. Intellectual gymnastics to “expose” climate alarmism then follow naturally.'

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » August 23, 2022, 8:57 am

Hahaha. What other rubbish is Carrington going to comment on. A filthy green working for the guardian. What else would you expect from CC activists.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 23, 2022, 9:28 am

I love a sunburnt country...
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » August 23, 2022, 9:31 am

The filthy greens cleaned up the skeptics on May 21. Reload, and repeat.

Skeptics in decline

https://grist.org/climate/new-polling-o ... arm-is-in/

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 23, 2022, 11:01 am

The climate is CYCLICAL, if they are seeing Warnings left on stones in now drying up rivers, therefore it has happened before .
Many countries have mapped Flood plains 50/100 years ...why ?
Greenland used to be covered ion trees !!
Centuries ago the deserts were smaller ....why ??

What we are experiencing in the big game is a mere blip in Earths Climatic History, the only record is what was left for us by people before , there are NO records, No statistics, but an ancient farmer told me years ago, all weather is cyclical and funnily enough I believed him .

Even here when I came I was told that where I live had flooded with a depth of about 6-8 inches living on a hill you would think, no never happened but this man proved it to me by photos`,

So what is happening world wide HAS HAPPENED before , NOW though the presence of nearly 7.5 billion makes it harder for the Earth to recover that is a fact, but did we cause it, we certainly did not help but cause it, not necessarily.

Return to “Open Forum”