climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 14, 2022, 6:15 pm

Whistler wrote:
September 14, 2022, 9:23 am
An interesting graph. The move away from fossil fuels now is too late to prevent a lot of damage, we are seeing this with severe climate manifesting itself like recent Pakistan floods.

I have minimal confidence that the governments of the world will manage the transition well.
Keep your eye on the Governments of China and India. They will provide the answer to the transition progress.

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 14, 2022, 6:22 pm

Very important LYM. These are both nations which have subservient populations. I see greater pushback in the developed world where climate skeptics are more disruptive. These also have large communities and groups involved in the fossil fuel supply chain, their lives will be heavily impacted and they will have a real incentive to resist change
Governments need to protect their livelihood and not throw their communities on the scapheap
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 14, 2022, 6:51 pm

Yes, but moves to combat climate change are progressing faster in the 'developed world' than they are in the countries I cited. I am not so sure India has a subservient population. The world is going to be dependent on fossil fuels and plastic products for many years to come.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 14, 2022, 7:41 pm

No argument from me on the issue of dependency, the Indian population is overwhelmingly poor, that makes them subservient. It is the oligarchy in India that is far less so
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » September 15, 2022, 12:50 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 15, 2022, 7:10 am

Barney, ever thought about posting something honest with genuine links?

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » September 15, 2022, 7:55 am

Whistler wrote:
September 15, 2022, 7:10 am
That has the links and publishers clearly listed below, I guess anything that is against your own personal agenda is deemed dishonest, get back in your box and stop posting rubbish to relieve your boredom. Get away from the keyboard and do something...

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 15, 2022, 8:03 am

The supposed blue hyperlink does not exist. The real report is not as Barney quotes. I would suggest before leaping in, you get of your rotund posterior and get your facts right before displaying your ignorance once again.

A good chance that Barney is being deliberately provocative, knowing full well that he is being deceptive.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 15, 2022, 8:14 am

Moon wobble and El Niño a fatal combination
This caused mangrove die back and possible the coral bleaching event 2015

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 15, 2022, 9:04 am

fatbob wrote:
September 15, 2022, 7:55 am
Whistler wrote:
September 15, 2022, 7:10 am
That has the links and publishers clearly listed below, I guess anything that is against your own personal agenda is deemed dishonest, get back in your box and stop posting rubbish to relieve your boredom. Get away from the keyboard and do something...
Whistler wrote:
September 15, 2022, 8:03 am
The supposed blue hyperlink does not exist. The real report is not as Barney quotes. I would suggest before leaping in, you get of your rotund posterior and get your facts right before displaying your ignorance once again.

A good chance that Barney is being deliberately provocative, knowing full well that he is being deceptive.
Here is what I found after spending 3 or 4 min retyping the addresses:

https://www.aims.gov.au/monitoring-grea ... ry-2021-22

https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/706 ... oral-reef/

https://twitter.com/bjornlomborg

Does this help? Didn't see the actual chart posted but the references are there.

NOTE: I don't have an opinion here, just trying to remove some angst from fact finding.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 15, 2022, 9:29 am

Continued coral recovery leads to 36-year highs across
two-thirds of the Great Barrier Reef

Seems Barney's posted graph is accurate

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 15, 2022, 10:11 am

3 years of la Nina maybe helps.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 15, 2022, 10:27 am

The barrier reef is over 1400 miles long and covers 133,000 sq miles. Making broad statements about the entire reef is fatuous as different parts of the reef are impacted by local factors.

There is ample evidence that damage and recovery is cyclical one part of the reef could be in a recovery period, while others are under stress.

Barney has selectively chosen to report on one part of the reef in recovery phase and claimed it was for the entire reef. That is deceptive, he then tried to cover his tracks by faking a source, more deception.

For those that are interested, the links that Mr P. provided tell the real story of an amazing wonder of the world under threat from climate change.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 15, 2022, 10:45 am

rick wrote:
September 15, 2022, 10:11 am
yes La Nina helps with the moon wobble

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 15, 2022, 11:09 am

noosard wrote:
September 15, 2022, 9:29 am
Continued coral recovery leads to 36-year highs across
two-thirds of the Great Barrier Reef

Seems Barney's posted graph is accurate
Read the articles in full noosard Barney's post is BS

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 15, 2022, 11:28 am

noosard wrote:
September 15, 2022, 10:45 am
rick wrote:
September 15, 2022, 10:11 am
yes La Nina helps with the moon wobble
What's this about moon wobble all of a sudden? It has no.impact on climate change. It will cause tidal changes and with rising sea levels that will impact on coastal areas subject to high tide damage, but moon wobble is independent of climate change and has been with us for eons

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 15, 2022, 12:05 pm

just watched a movie moonfall
but that is not what moon wobble does
causes the tides to be lower or high over 18 year cycle
when lower bleaching can occur especially in the El Nino years

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 16, 2022, 8:59 am

noosard wrote:
September 15, 2022, 12:05 pm
just watched a movie moonfall
but that is not what moon wobble does
causes the tides to be lower or high over 18 year cycle
when lower bleaching can occur especially in the El Nino years
Sure, we should base our views on climate change on a science fiction flop. Scientists have formed the opinion that moon wobble may be a minor contributor to coral bleaching but the overwhelming cause is climate change.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » September 16, 2022, 9:08 am

Again you didn't comphrend what I wrote
Try rereading second line
If it is climate change mainly why is the coral flourishing at the present time ?
Or does climate change turn off for a few years ?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 16, 2022, 9:34 am

Coral is flourishing in some parts of the reef, while other parts are under stress. As stated earlier, coral bleaching is cyclical between bleaching events there is a period of recovery. Some, and I stress some parts of the reef is in a strong recovery phase.

What has been stated by the research bodies is that bleaching events occur more frequently due to climate change and they are concerned for the health of the reef given that increased frequency. The links supplied by Mr. P show the full picture

Return to “Open Forum”