climate change

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
noosard
udonmap.com

Re: climate change

Post by noosard » February 19, 2023, 5:46 am

Owning a electric or hybrid car helps the victorian goverment make money
They have put a tax on per km and doesnt matter if you drive interstate you still have to pay

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Post by pipadoo » February 19, 2023, 6:33 am

It’s about time everything should realise it’s the perfect excuse to make money- just look BBC at Mayor Khan in London
Wake up 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 19, 2023, 8:54 am

I have come to the conclusion in regards to CLIMATE change as part of the Baby Boomer generation, we are eiher TOO LATE in dealing with the major problems, therefore we are all DOOMED ...PLUS the sheer cost of educating two thirds of the world is a pointless exercise ( who are ae to deny them what we enjoyed ) is astronomical therefore we are DOOMED

The only other alternative is to attempt to change, reduce the cause and hope. Personally the last alternative sems the best option as ANY major change will occur well after my body has added pollution to the world via my cremation....haha

Bottom line, the world can do what it wants, nothing I can do will change the outcome, so I will carry on pottering and enjoying life and NOT stress out over a situation , with mass wringing of hands,gnashing of teeth and pointless continuing meetings and conferences that half the world cares little about .
Certainly will nopt spend hopurs and hpours as many do trawling the internet and various sites to ascertain the truth. Pointless as we are DOOMED , The animal kingdoms most intelligent animal has basically *^^^^ UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 19, 2023, 6:53 pm

The Antarctic sea ice has hit a new low this month, beating last years new record. The sea ice melting has little impact on sea level, but could lead to glaciers speeding up, with no sea ice to hold it back.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 19, 2023, 8:16 pm

noosard wrote:
February 19, 2023, 5:46 am
Owning a electric or hybrid car helps the victorian goverment make money
They have put a tax on per km and doesnt matter if you drive interstate you still have to pay
Probably something to do with the fact that electric cars are not paying the 44c/l fuel excise, which notionally is supposed to go to road maintenance.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » February 19, 2023, 8:31 pm

So the Vic gov not interested in climate change but only revenue

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 19, 2023, 8:34 pm

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Post by pipadoo » February 19, 2023, 10:07 pm

They fall for the old 3 card trick as well 🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓🤓

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » March 9, 2023, 10:18 am

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 16, 2023, 8:12 pm

It has been reported that 1500 private jets fly into and out of Augusta Georgia for the Masters this week

https://www.facebook.com/reel/629652285554050/?s=ifu

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 18, 2023, 11:06 am

given the mass burning in Thailand, Laos and Burma that is contributing to terrible AQI's for the last couple of months, why haven't the Environmentalists marched in protest? Oh, right, other side of the world ya know. Meanwhile in Europe people are gluing themselves to the streets to protest fossil fuel powered cars. I wonder how much CO2 is being spewed into the atmosphere from the burings versus vehicles in the same time frame? Oh, and let's not forget, the forest being burned won't be sucking up CO2 in the furture either..
Dave

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 18, 2023, 6:04 pm

There have been a few interesting bits on the BBC news recently.
First, it seems this year was a record low for sea ice in Antarctica.
Second, In the sea off Norway evidence has been found that it is claimed show that the European ice sheet retreated at rates of up to 300 metres per DAY at the end of the last Ice Age... Nothing slow about that, and is an indication that loss of ice might be a lot faster than expected over the next few hundred years.
Third, this year will be the first to see Global use of fossil fuels to generate Electricity go down. Electricity usage globally grows by about 2% a year, but this year the growth will be completely covered (and more) by increased renewable energy supply.

So, not all bad news. However still not optimistic that enough is being done to prevent warming hitting 2 degrees or more. I do believe that by the end of the century there will be some improvement, but in the short term i think 1.5 degrees centigrade of warming will be hit this decade, not in the 2040's as some scientists still optimistically predict. The crisis is already here.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » May 15, 2023, 6:48 am

"I agree that we have had a global temperature increase in the 20th century. We made it as extremely poor experiment when we started to observe meteorology at the coldest spot in the last 10,000 years"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmmmgiP ... vorCummins

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 15, 2023, 9:24 am

Is an ice core from Greenland good evidence of what has happened in the rest of the globe?

Or is there further supporting evidence from various other regions?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 15, 2023, 11:01 am

Yes, same evidence from Antarctica oce cores.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 15, 2023, 11:09 am

And oceanic sediments and fossils (various foramifera are very sensitive to oceanic temperatures, so there abundance indicates the temperature at the times they are deposited.)

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » May 15, 2023, 11:10 am

It mentions other sources in the video.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 9, 2023, 8:49 am

Ironically, one of the big climate success stories of the last decade has inadvertently hastened the pace of global warming, the new data reveal.

A gradual drop in the use of coal – significantly more carbon intensive than oil or gas – to produce power has slowed the increase in carbon emissions. But it has also reduced the air pollution that shields Earth from the full force of the Sun’s rays.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 9, 2023, 9:08 am

noosard wrote:
June 9, 2023, 8:49 am
Ironically, one of the big climate success stories of the last decade has inadvertently hastened the pace of global warming, the new data reveal.

A gradual drop in the use of coal – significantly more carbon intensive than oil or gas – to produce power has slowed the increase in carbon emissions. But it has also reduced the air pollution that shields Earth from the full force of the Sun’s rays.
Q: When does good smog become bad smog?

A: When humans start to talk about it.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 9, 2023, 9:23 am

So what the experts are saying make more air pollution

Return to “Open Forum”